MA. Green license plates.

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
^ hahaha

I had cut bolt heads off, epoxied them to the plate, with double sided tape behind - stuck to the bumper.
Sticker pass.
Unless you get pulled over without it. Then all bets are off.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There's another product you can get that has a bracket which attaches to the front tow hook receptacle. So you put the thing on, get it inspected, and then remove
it.

-Mike

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those alternatives sound great unfortunately I live in a town that has an unusually large police force for the population and area. The local police patrol the major roads with sometimes with 2 - 3 cursers within a three mile area using their plate readers and justifying their existence. There is almost no crime in my town, however there are a lot of warrant and DUI arrests, defective equipment and speeding stops along the three mile stretch of Rt. 20.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the turnaround time?
Five business days.

Dropped it off on a Sat. afternoon, got an email saying it was ready to pick up the following Fri. mid morning. He doesn't do work on weekends and the schedule for dropping it off was about a week or so out IIRC.

Last edited:

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Five business days.

Dropped it off on a Sat. afternoon, got an email saying it was ready to pick up the following Fri. mid morning. He doesn't do work on weekends and the schedule for dropping it off was about a week or so out IIRC.
That's not bad... how much did it cost?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't have a citation for it, but recall reading it years ago on the RMV website. @Zappa likely will know more.
This thread pretty much covers it:

I still haven't been able to find a specific Mass law in MGL Chapters 90 or 266 about repainting license plates, but written notice has been issued to all inspection stations regarding the subject. So it may not be specifically written into the motor vehicle laws, but it's an RMV regulation, and I believe they do have the power to create and enforce such regulations.
It says an inspector must reject any plate that has been altered in any way, damaged, faded, loss of reflectivity, etc., and It specifically says plates that have been touched-up and repainted are verbotten.
BTW, I just saw this notice again recently, posted on the wall at an inspection station, so the info is out there.

Last edited:

Lennypeters

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just had my truck inspected last month and the inspector said as long as he can read it from 50 feet my green plate is good to go. Mine is in decent condition considering it's close to 30 years old. I am considering having it refinished now that it no longer seems to be an automatic rejection.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bad... how much did it cost?
$120 which, IMO, is a bargain to stick it to the municipalities that dedicate LEOs to just driving around with plate readers to bone the taxpayers. It might burn the LEOs ass that they can't scan my plate because of me backing into spots, but I'm betting on the laziness of an individual tasked with just driving around to fill coffers outweighs their being bothered to get out of the cruiser to get mine.

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I found my grandfathers old green plate. still in decent shape, and Id be more than willing to pay to have it refrub'd, if it it possible to use it myself? is there any way I can register an old plate that was once in my family(if that part even matters)? thanks collective

Dip Dungles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I've got my old man's plate mounted in my garage. Wonder if I can re-register it under my name but from what I've heard once it's been decommissioned there's no turning back

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've got my old man's plate mounted in my garage. Wonder if I can re-register it under my name but from what I've heard once it's been decommissioned there's no turning back
unless you're a state senator congressman or the governor I feel like you're probably right. but I would sure love to if you could!

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I tried that once myself, I had a really minty condition green plate on my own car from 1980.
When I moved out of state for two years to go to tech school, I registered my car there, but let the Mass plate expire without turning it in. When I got back to Mass, I wanted to reactivate the old plate, but they said no, so I had to get a new plate.
What I found particularly odd was this was in 1983, and they were still issuing the green plates up until 1987.

Dip Dungles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I tried that once myself, I had a really minty condition green plate on my own car from 1980.
When I moved out of state for two years to go to tech school, I registered my car there, but let the Mass plate expire without turning it in. When I got back to Mass, I wanted to reactivate the old plate, but they said no, so I had to get a new plate.
What I found particularly odd was this was in 1983, and they were still issuing the green plates up until 1987.
Should have taken care of this when Dip Sr passed but there were other matters that superseded the importance of a plate
Oh well, one more plate that will end up in the RMV graveyard.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Should have taken care of this when Dip Sr passed but there were other matters that superseded the importance of a plate
Oh well, one more plate that will end up in the RMV graveyard.
If you have it, I wouldn't toss it out.
You can still use it on YOM cars from 77'- 87', which are all over 25 years old, thus qualify as antiques.

Last edited:

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Those alternatives sound great unfortunately I live in a town that has an unusually large police force for the population and area. The local police patrol the major roads with sometimes with 2 - 3 cursers within a three mile area using their plate readers and justifying their existence. There is almost no crime in my town, however there are a lot of warrant and DUI arrests, defective equipment and speeding stops along the three mile stretch of Rt. 20.
AKA "revenue rhetoric town" ... there's like at least few dozen of these in MA... [rofl] you could disband most of the PD and nobody would notice it was gone, well, except for the town treasurer...

-Mike

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
AKA "revenue rhetoric town" ... there's like at least few dozen of these in MA... [rofl] you could disband most of the PD and nobody would notice it was gone, well, except for the town treasurer...

-Mike
you're spot on sir. I, unfortunately find myself in the same neck of the woods as JDL. quite a few of the neighboring towns are the same. meanwhile, in Springfield, 0 f's are given on most issues. seriously

Aaron[MA]

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
1987?
I'm pretty sure I got my green plate, new, in 1995.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
They gave me a red one in '95. I remember the exact year since I had moved back to MA from FL late in '94 and waited a while to change my reg.

Also, I remember my dad bought a Bronco in 1989 or '90 when I was in college. New vehicle, no plate transferred....that had a green one.

Last edited:

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I repainted mine over the winter. I bought pearlesent white and metallic green from Michael's craft store. I burnt off the old paint with a torch, did some light sanding, wiped down with paint prep, and primed with Rust-Oleum. Sprayed on two coats of white, let it dry overnight and then hand painted the green numbers and letters. Let that dry overnight and finished with a spray of clear coat.
Got my inspection sticker in January.

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That website is wrong.
They may have stopped printing green plates in ’87, but they were surely issuing them from old stock for years.

I got my green plate in ’89, and a friend got his in ’95.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
That website is wrong.
They may have stopped printing green plates in ’87, but they were surely issuing them from old stock for years.

I got my green plate in ’89, and a friend got his in ’95.
Agree! I bought a 1989 Acura Integra from a Cape Cod Acura dealer in 1989 and he got me the plates for that car . . . green.

I think that the various RMV offices just used them up, so different offices ran out sooner than others.

Top Bottom