MA -> FL member checking in!

Well folks, almost two years since leaving People's Republic MA for FL. It was only a few weeks after I left did the ban on ARs and other scary guns take place, which confirmed my decision. Going into get my CCW transferred (I had a non res CCW) was so fast and easy, I truly felt like I was in some bizzaro land. Seeing pretty much what ever I want in stores also took some getting used to.

Wondering if a new chief would come to town, and have the town I was in go from "green" to "red" was a stress I didn't fully appreciate 'till it was gone. For me, FL made sense as I have biz in FL, it was rated the freest state in the nation (one can obviously play with the metrics and conclude another stats is freerer, but always in the top 10), no state income, no snow, access to the ocean when ever I want, daily sunset walk on the beach with my dog, and other benefits that appealed to me.

Oh, and for what I sold my meager house in Natick for, I purchased 2 houses in cash, and was left with a solid chunk O $ in the bank. That may or may not apply/appeal to you, but when my property tax went over 8k per year, that was the final straw for me. I'm paying 8k+ per year to be generally sh&^ on and having my 2A Rights and others chipped away at, and enough was enough.

Not trying to talk anyone into moving to FL, and it's far from perfect, but there's no perfect place, so you find what state covers most/much of what you want/need, and go there. I will say, unless you must live in MA (and I left most of my family in MA), I do highly recommend you GTF out of there. In retrospect, should have left 10 years ago.

Even since I left MA, I can see things have gone from bad to worse. Now I see they are putting these signs up in Boston. Now, I'm not for hassling some women on a train who happens to be Muslim, etc, but is that really where tax dollars should be spent? Considering the current state of things, signs about what to look for in radical Muslims in your area may be more likely to save lives in my view. Islamophobia is not an issue in the US as of yet in any real way, but that may change if they continue to kill people and blow chit up in the name of Islam, but I digress.

Just for the record, I'm right of center Libertarian oriented person and do not consider myself nor identify as a conservative.

Finally, I'm a tour guide/answer guy at the UDT-SEAL Museum in my spare time should anyone find themselves in FL. It's a must see, believe me. When I was in Natick, I considered doing the same at the WWII museum, but they treated me like a scumbag and lectured me about CCW in the museum (The irony!!!) I lost all interest in ever stepping foot in the place again. That was during the NES meet up at the museum some of you attended.

Boston will put up 50 posters on how to address Islamophobia

unnamed-12223.png

Last edited:
No state income tax, great outdoor activity, low cost of living, friendly people, I'll give you that.

No snow, however, I would miss that stuff. I'm a skiier, snowshoer, winter hiker, etc. My sister is in LA and every freakin day is 80 and sunny, 80 and sunny. Even she admits it get stale after a while.

Overall, I do agree with your assessment that MA is a shithole and we need to escape asap. I fully accept that political momentum is swinging so far left that there's no use in wasting energy fighting it.

Right now, NH is at the top of my list but I absolutely would consider FL or TX and take trips to snowy areas to get my fix.

Glad you're still keeping in touch with us peasants.

You don't need to convince me, I am in the process of house-hunting in SC (Greenville area).

No state income tax, great outdoor activity, low cost of living, friendly people, I'll give you that.

Friendly people [rofl] ... What part of Florida have you been to?

Cost And weather and all that I agree. But...keep in mind ranges. If you like shooting rifles at more than 100 yards, it can be tough, and most ranges you have to pay every time you go. If you dont shoot past 50 feet and more than 1 time per month, then it is greart and the guns are awesome.

No snow, however, I would miss that stuff. I'm a skiier, snowshoer, winter hiker, etc. My sister is in LA and every freakin day is 80 and sunny, 80 and sunny. Even she admits it get stale after a while.

Overall, I do agree with your assessment that MA is a shithole and we need to escape asap. I fully accept that political momentum is swinging so far left that there's no use in wasting energy fighting it.

Right now, NH is at the top of my list but I absolutely would consider FL or TX and take trips to snowy areas to get my fix.

Glad you're still keeping in touch with us peasants.

So far so good and I never liked the snow, the cold, the dark at 4pm stuff etc. I'll take boating with a couple of ret SEAL buddies over snow shoeing any day ;)

You don't need to convince me, I am in the process of house-hunting in SC (Greenville area).

If I didn't already have biz etc in FL, that area would be on the short list for sure.

Cost And weather and all that I agree. But...keep in mind ranges. If you like shooting rifles at more than 100 yards, it can be tough, and most ranges you have to pay every time you go. If you dont shoot past 50 feet and more than 1 time per month, then it is greart and the guns are awesome.

By in large, people are far nicer in FL than NE, especially MA. Not called Mass-holes for nothin'

Ranges are a funny one in FL, but there's ranges that have a 1000y + distances also, not something you'll find in NE either. Really cool place is:

http://www.altairgunclub.com/Default.asp

And other big facilities if you're willing to drive. I actually like the pay as you go style of some ranges in FL vs yearly $. Check out this indoor range I go to on occasion. Nothing like that in MA I'm aware of:

https://lotusgunrange.com/

Anything like that in NH?

Not for everyone, but I loved FL. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could.

Right now, I'll be very, very happy to get to NH. It's on the horizon, just don't have the "when" exactly figured out...

Tampa and Miami areas. Pretty much everywhere in the south dominates in friendliness compared to eastern MA. I lived in Brooklyn for 2 years so my friendliness standards are easy to please. I have relatives in Alpharetta GA and always have great experiences with the neighbors and locals.

Lived on all the corners of Fl. Nice place except for Orlando and Tallahassee. Neither were about bad people just pointless destinations. Its like the eastern side of the country's answer to CA(without the stupidity).

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

So far so good and I never liked the snow, the cold, the dark at 4pm stuff etc. I'll take boating with a couple of ret SEAL buddies over snow shoeing any day ;)

If I didn't already have biz etc in FL, that area would be on the short list for sure.

By in large, people are far nicer in FL than NE, especially MA. Not called Mass-holes for nothin'

Ranges are a funny one in FL, but there's ranges that have a 1000y + distances also, not something you'll find in NE either. Really cool place is:

http://www.altairgunclub.com/Default.asp

And other big facilities if you're willing to drive. I actually like the pay as you go style of some ranges in FL vs yearly $. Check out this indoor range I go to on occasion. Nothing like that in MA I'm aware of:

https://lotusgunrange.com/

Anything like that in NH?

NE people are A-holes.
Florida people are f-ing scumbags.

And we do have a 1K yard range. Granby.

Anyway, besides people and ranges, I agree with everyrhing you said. But I can deal with the people, the lack of decent rifles ranges...not so much.

I got a job offer down there a few months ago and turned it down, mostly because of that.

Anyway, I do love seeing tropical fish and I would be diving every weekend if I lived down there. I also like that pretty much anything will grow outside.

Last edited:
NE people are A-holes.

Anyway, besides people and ranges, I agree with everyrhing you said. But I can deal with the people, the lack of decent rifles ranges...not so much.

I got a job offer down there a few months ago and turned it down, mostly because of that.

Anyway, I do love seeing tropical fish and I would be diving every weekend if I lived down there. I also like that pretty much anything will grow outside.

NE people can be *******s, but in my experience they are real. Some parts of the country have fake friendly people.

Bought a house in Polk County FL a couple months back. Tying up loose ends her and in the spring we're out of here. Been going to FL for awhile now and it sucks coming home.

Hate the heat and love NH. Been here for just over 5 years now (time does fly) and have not been over the border since. I miss Ma. about as much as I'd miss a hemorrhoid big enough to claim as a dependent on my tax return.

Hate the heat and love NH. Been here for just over 5 years now (time does fly) and have not been over the border since. I miss Ma. about as much as I'd miss a hemorrhoid big enough to claim as a dependent on my tax return.

If you don't like the heat, then NH is a good choice no doubt. I lived in NH for some time and went to school in NH and was happy to leave. I knew if/when left MA it would not be 1 mile north of where I was in MA.

NE people are A-holes.

Never heard of that range, interesting. FL does collect a lot of weird messed up people, but some "normal" people around too. Having grown up in Brooklyn in the 70s/80s I'm used to a menagerie of different people and am generally comfortable with it. FL is a culture shock to a NE type, that's for sure. I'm not a long distance shooter so that's not an issue to me. Much more interested in CQB oriented shooting be in training, IDPA, etc. As I said, FL not for everyone but someplace other than MA is ....

Ma sucks, My wife and I bit the bullet three years ago and bought a place in NH. We will retire their full-time or someplace other thanMa, but for now we have place we can buy and shoot whatever we want with nobody bothering us.

Ma sucks, My wife and I bit the bullet three years ago and bought a place in NH. We will retire their full-time or someplace other thanMa, but for now we have place we can buy and shoot whatever we want with nobody bothering us.

Last edited:
The only thing I have against Florida is you probably have to use pine tar like baseball players on their bat or "stickum" like w receiver in football in order to get a decent grip ona pistol in an emergency... I mean (all kidding aside) if I'm terribly uncomfortable (which I AM, and imta native) in the August humidity in New England? I'd probably evaporate in FL..if I was gonna move to a a pro-gun southern state I'd rather do Arizona and bake in the "dry heat".

The only thing I have against Florida is you probably have to use pine tar like baseball players on their bat or "stickum" like w receiver in football in order to get a decent grip ona pistol in an emergency... I mean (all kidding aside) if I'm terribly uncomfortable (which I AM, and imta native) in the August humidity in New England? I'd probably evaporate in FL..if I was gonna move to a a pro-gun southern state I'd rather do Arizona and bake in the "dry heat".

AZ aint a southern state bro. I can also tell you once you get passed 100f or so in the shade, "It's a dry heat" no longer applies. Visit AZ, NV etc around July or August. It was 105f in the shade when I was in Vegas once, and that was really miserable.

if we all leave then i guess they have what they want, a gun free zone. as i said in another post, i'll stay behind, proud to be part of the resistance. [grin]

So, move to FL still a plus, but recent events have given me bad memories of one reason I left MA, and that pisses me off. FL a long way from MA level gun control, but as you all see, already chipping away at our Const. Rights here.

So, move to FL still a plus, but recent events have given me bad memories of one reason I left MA, and that pisses me off. FL a long way from MA level gun control, but as you all see, already chipping away at our Const. Rights here.

That's what concerns me.
I'd love to get out of assachusetts and never look back.
Unfortunately, it's 100% impossible right at the moment.
Secondly, I see how quickly things can change.
Look at VT.
It seems like, no matter where you relocate, you're just buying a little more time before the liberals/progressives/antis ruin that state too.
It just feels like they have the momentum, and are essentially unstoppable at this point.
Unless that's just their Jedi mind tricks working on me.
But it seems like every day you see a news story about another state implementing some new, "common sense" gun laws.
You know...that everyone can get behind. (Sarcasm)

That's what concerns me.
I'd love to get out of assachusetts and never look back.
Unfortunately, it's 100% impossible right at the moment.
Secondly, I see how quickly things can change.
Look at VT.
It seems like, no matter where you relocate, you're just buying a little more time before the liberals/progressives/antis ruin that state too.
It just feels like they have the momentum, and are essentially unstoppable at this point.
Unless that's just their Jedi mind tricks working on me.
But it seems like every day you see a news story about another state implementing some new, "common sense" gun laws.
You know...that everyone can get behind. (Sarcasm)

The 2A issue not the only reason to leave, but yes, that's a legit concern. Taxes, weather, Ma**h***s. politics, traffic, taxes, cost of living, etc etc. F That noise. Walking on the beach with my dog X Mass day was great. My property tax a fraction of what it was in MA. I don't like being hot, but I hate being cold, so...

We need one of these PSAs for Gun Owner Harassment in the Commonwealth...

iu

I grew up in MA and moved to FL for two years. For the first six months (through the first winter) I loved it down there... after that I couldn't wait to get back to New England (despite the things that we all know suck around here). Everywhere in FL looks the same... every intersection looks like every other intersection. Flat as a pancake everywhere in the state. Drivers around here suck for sure, but down there it's 90% people who are too old to be driving combined with 10% who are too stupid. Everybody is from someplace else, so there's no sense of community, and when you do get to know your neighbors chances are they'll be moving soon (or you'll be moving back). If you think the people down there are "nicer" think about how many of them you can really count on after you've been there a while (compared to your New England friends). And as much as I don't like our long winters, the summer in FL is as brutal as it gets. You'll sweat your balls off just walking from Publix back to your car... and don't touch the car door handle or sit on your dark leather seats in shorts! Anyway, to each their own. Thanks for letting me sh*t on "God's waiting room" of a State that I'd only go back to for vacations.

We need one of these PSAs for Gun Owner Harassment in the Commonwealth...

iu

Is this even a legitimate problem? I've seen plenty of people yelling at other people on the T, but it's usually a domestic dispute or a f***ing crazy person yelling at whoever has the wrong color hair or some shit.

Hell. I can yell at someone no matter what they look like or wear. I'm Equal Opportunity!

I hope to get somewhere cheaper and in the south some day. Would prefer something with 3 seasons..... no snow. Maybe better motorcycle riding opportunities. 2 of the wifes 3 kids live in Boca area, not sure I would take that heat all year.

Back
Top Bottom