• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Firearms License process

I was wondering what the process is after you submit you firearms license application in MA. I live in Billerica, MA. I dropped my applcation off on 7/28. I stopped by the station today 8/11 just to check on the status of my application and the officer checked with someone then came back and said my application is being processed. I have not been interviewed and printed yet, do they send the application out to be processed before they do the interview and prints?

Hey, I live in Billerica and got my LTC-A (target and hunting) at the beginning of the summer. Here is what happened to me.

I passed in my application on my birthday, and they called me about five weeks later telling me to come in the next week for the "interview" which is really just getting your fingerprints and picture taken. When they take your picture they ask you to stand in front of a webcam and they take one picture and go with that one, no matter how horrendous it is, kind of like a mugshot. You should have seen the picture that I had on my FID lol.

Keep in mind that you pretty much have to go in on the day and time that they tell you, otherwise you may have to wait another six weeks for an interview.

After they are done with that they tell you that you will get a call in another six weeks or so to come back down to the station and pick up your license. You show up, they give you your license and a copy of the MGLs that tell you what your license is good for.

I passed in my application at the beginning of April and did not end up picking up my license until the end of June. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't take as long, but don't hold your breath.

Hey, I live in Billerica and got my LTC-A (target and hunting) at the beginning of the summer. Here is what happened to me.

I passed in my application on my birthday, and they called me about five weeks later telling me to come in the next week for the "interview" which is really just getting your fingerprints and picture taken. When they take your picture they ask you to stand in front of a webcam and they take one picture and go with that one, no matter how horrendous it is, kind of like a mugshot. You should have seen the picture that I had on my FID lol.

Keep in mind that you pretty much have to go in on the day and time that they tell you, otherwise you may have to wait another six weeks for an interview.

After they are done with that they tell you that you will get a call in another six weeks or so to come back down to the station and pick up your license. You show up, they give you your license and a copy of the MGLs that tell you what your license is good for.

I passed in my application at the beginning of April and did not end up picking up my license until the end of June. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't take as long, but don't hold your breath.

This sounds similar to the Quincy process. I called QPD at the beginning of July to schedule a date to drop off my application, get fingerprinted, and have my picture taken (earliest date was in August). I just had all of that done last week. I now have to wait another 4-6 weeks before my LTC will be issued. Quincy did not process my application until I went in and verified all the information and had my fingerprints & picture taken.

This sounds similar to the Quincy process. I called QPD at the beginning of July to schedule a date to drop off my application, get fingerprinted, and have my picture taken (earliest date was in August). I just had all of that done last week. I now have to wait another 4-6 weeks before my LTC will be issued. Quincy did not process my application until I went in and verified all the information and had my fingerprints & picture taken.

There is a chance that they will mail you your license, I have heard that some towns do that.

To the OP: IDK how old you are, but they restricted mine to target and hunting because I am under 25. Gotta love police discretion [crying]

There is a chance that they will mail you your license, I have heard that some towns do that.

To the OP: IDK how old you are, but they restricted mine to target and hunting because I am under 25. Gotta love police discretion [crying]
LOl don't feel bad...Quincy also restricts if you're under 25 and I won't be 25 until October. However, the lady who processed my application was really nice and said that she'd try to get the Chief to issue me an unrestricted LTC-A. My brother, on the other hand, will definitely get restricted.

Awesome news! There's nothing better than the first time you lay your eyes on your unrestricted license.

Back
Top Bottom