MA FFL rant

GeorgeMason

NES Member
I had an opportunity to buy an HK I’d been searching out for a while. It’s a roster gun, just in a different color. My go-to FFL is on vacation so I had to search out someone else to do the transfer. I started calling around, and the only people to answer the phone told me that they couldn’t make the transfer because of the color. However, the bulk of the smaller FFLs didn’t answer phone or email and still haven’t gotten back to me. Since then, the gun I wanted is sold out and is very unlikely to ever come back into stock. Am I spoiled by my current FFL and this is the norm for MA? Or am I just unlucky enough to have picked 5 or 6 bad ones in a row? I know this is like 2/10 rant, but I’m really butt hurt that I missed out on something I really wanted because of MA FFL hand wringing over a color and apathy of FFLs who can’t be bothered to return correspondence from a new customer.

HK does not list complete part numbers or colors in their submissions for the list. They have entries like VP9, P2000, USP. So whoever got their panties in a twist over the color is a moron of the first order.

Transfers are not a money maker. $25 for the work/hastle involved is essentially not worth it. Transfers are something you do for established customers that generally buy product from you and occasionally ask for transfers on something you can not get for them. Someone new contacts me for a transfer and the odds are I am not interested.

PM me what HK in what color you are looking for. You are limited to retail sites so actually have no idea on real availability. HK goes in waves. They build a bunch of stuff then ship over containers full. All the distributors get it then all the dealers. Then that model is out for a while until they do another build run, ship, etc.

If you want a FFL to respond to you, call them up asking to BUY a gun, not to transfer a gun. They might even beat whatever price you found online. Had you asked them if they would sell you the HK you wanted, you could have had a conversation that may have ended with "ok, since you cant get it for me, will you transfer it for me?"

A "new customer" that starts by asking for a transfer of a new, in production gun, is not a promising new customer. Some turn out to be awesome, but that is the exception. If you call up and ask them to transfer you an old, used, out of production gun, you will get a different response. You are not buying from their out of state competition so clearly.

I mentioned the lack of part number listing to the people I spoke to and they didn’t care. My voicemails didn’t state the specifics of the transaction, just my contact info, that I was looking to do business with them and how I was recommended to them. As I stated, I have a guy, he just happens to be one vacation. I’m kind of a frequent buyer so by doing a transfer for me, a new FFL might be gaining more business in the future. It’s just doubly frustrating because in a free state I could have sent the thing anywhere.

Yes... . just find an MA FFL that doesn't have AIDS about stupid list/CMR940 bs and go from there. Most of the better ones wont give a shit as long as the base model # matches the stupid EOPS
list. The dumb /annoying ones won't transfer any SKU unless camfour or one of those shitheads blesses it with an asterisk as MA compliant.. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Last edited:
I mentioned the lack of part number listing to the people I spoke to and they didn’t care. My voicemails didn’t state the specifics of the transaction, just my contact info, that I was looking to do business with them and how I was recommended to them. As I stated, I have a guy, he just happens to be one vacation. I’m kind of a frequent buyer so by doing a transfer for me, a new FFL might be gaining more business in the future. It’s just doubly frustrating because in a free state I could have sent the thing anywhere.

I deal with a shop that just only does transfers and does not sell retail. That way there is no butthurt when you buy something online for two hundred dollars less than they have it on the shelf for.

There are many ways to not deal with the list. Im not going into that here but finding an FFL that isnt overly scared of their own shadow is part of that.

Yes... . just find an MA FFL that doesn't have AIDS about stupid list/CMR940 bs and go from there. Most of the better ones wont give a shit as long as the base model # matches the stupid EOPS
list. The dumb /annoying ones won't transfer any SKU that camfour or one of those shitheads blesses with an asterisk as MA compliant.. [rolleyes]

-Mike

I have one, he’s the best. Unfortunately he’s on vacation and these things sold out quicker than I could get a small FFl to answer the phone. I need to get out of the hellhole that is MA.

HK does not list complete part numbers or colors in their submissions for the list. They have entries like VP9, P2000, USP. So whoever got their panties in a twist over the color is a moron of the first order.

Transfers are not a money maker. $25 for the work/hastle involved is essentially not worth it. Transfers are something you do for established customers that generally buy product from you and occasionally ask for transfers on something you can not get for them. Someone new contacts me for a transfer and the odds are I am not interested.

PM me what HK in what color you are looking for. You are limited to retail sites so actually have no idea on real availability. HK goes in waves. They build a bunch of stuff then ship over containers full. All the distributors get it then all the dealers. Then that model is out for a while until they do another build run, ship, etc.

If you want a FFL to respond to you, call them up asking to BUY a gun, not to transfer a gun. They might even beat whatever price you found online. Had you asked them if they would sell you the HK you wanted, you could have had a conversation that may have ended with "ok, since you cant get it for me, will you transfer it for me?"

A "new customer" that starts by asking for a transfer of a new, in production gun, is not a promising new customer. Some turn out to be awesome, but that is the exception. If you call up and ask them to transfer you an old, used, out of production gun, you will get a different response. You are not buying from their out of state competition so clearly.

I also recommend the above - call some of your local FFLs and ask what they could sell it to you for and what the availability is.
I have been pleasantly surprised lately in the pricing that has been offered to me by smaller FFLs which has matched (+/-) or beaten the pricing from the larger stores.

I have one, he’s the best. Unfortunately he’s on vacation and these things sold out quicker than I could get a small FFl to answer the phone. I need to get out of the hellhole that is MA.
Could you have held it or put it on layaway til he gets back??

I deal with a shop that just only does transfers and does not sell retail. That way there is no butthurt when you buy something online for two hundred dollars less than they have it on the shelf for.

There are many ways to not deal with the list. Im not going into that here but finding an FFL that isnt overly scared of their own shadow is part of that.

I know my ways around the list, this just needed to get done on a truncated timetable and didn’t happen.

Could you have held it or put it on layaway til he gets back??

I’m not sure if that was an option. I typically don’t buy something til I have an FFl lined up and notified of the transaction. Sounds like I should have thrown those courtesies to the wind and just bought the damned thing.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if that was an option. I typically don’t buy something til I have an FFl lined up and notified of the transaction. Sounds like I should have thrown those courtesies to the wind and just bought the d

It's always an option, you could have gotten the remote to hold the gun for you if you paid up front, then send it wherever once you figured that part
out. Most aren't going to balk at doing this for a little while if you've already paid them for the item.

I also recommend the above - call some of your local FFLs and ask what they could sell it to you for and what the availability is.
I have been pleasantly surprised lately in the pricing that has been offered to me by smaller FFLs which has matched (+/-) or beaten the pricing from the larger stores.

Maybe...not my experience in the past.

Ive found very much the opposite and a rude attitude when I asked them to match prices or come close. Or just a plain, I cant even get it for that price!

Ive given up, circumvented the bullshit and buy only online now just about.

“transfers wont keep the lights on”. And I get that. So I go to a place that only does transfers now. Im sure I paid their electric biIl this month, between selling and buying theyve done 6 for me this month alone.

Last edited:
It's always an option, you could have gotten the remote to hold the gun for you if you paid up front, then send it wherever once you figured that part
out. Most aren't going to balk at doing this for a little while if you've already paid them for the item.

Then I guess I dropped the ball and should have done this. Lesson learned.

So if I sent it to an NH FFl, I’d still have to find a MA FFL to accept it from the NH one right?
Yup.

What exact model are you looking for? I have two H&K USPc models that I want sold in MA before my final move to NH . . . one is .40S&W and the other is .45ACP. If either fits the bill, send me a PM.

I know my ways around the list, this just needed to get done on a truncated timetable and didn’t happen.
when things were going south, you should have paid for the pistol and had them hold shipping until he was back to receive and transfer.

i have a couple of ffl's, i use. i won't put other guys on the spot cause i know a lot of dealers won't....well, you know what i mean.

What are the SKU #s on the gun in question? That in itself may be a deciding factor...The different color will give you a different SKU thus is it on the List with a different SKU??
BTW, GO with what Len-2A Training has to offer...... May indeed save you money in the end... I'd look into his offer if I were still in Mass.
If you're buying it from Bud's .... CTD..... Grab-a-gun etc, you can't expect a local FFL to Price Match.... Not being rude here, but ya gotta remember who's gonna give you the CS before and after the Sale....should the gun need repair or replacement....

Last edited:
when things were going south, you should have paid for the pistol and had them hold shipping until he was back to receive and transfer.

i have a couple of ffl's, i use. i won't put other guys on the spot cause i know a lot of dealers won't....well, you know what i mean.

I had always tried to be courteous and make sure that everything was lined up before the purchase. That’s my mistake and I won’t make it again.

What are the SKU #s on the gun in question? That in itself may be a deciding factor...The different color will give you a different SKU thus is it on the List with a different SKU??
BTW, GO with what Len-2A Training has to offer...... May indeed save you money in the end... I'd look into his offer if I were still in Mass.
If you're buying it from Bud's .... CTD..... Grab-a-gun etc, you can't expect a local FFL to Price Match.... Not being rude here, but ya gotta remember who's gonna give you the CS before and after the Sale....should the gun need repair or replacement....

SKU is not really an issue as there is no sku on the list for HK as @CrackPot mentioned. I wasn’t expecting a price match, not did I even mention a price match. I was just looking for a transfer on a hard to find gun. I’d pay a local guy a premium if they could get me one. But alas, that is not going to happen as the supply is gone.

Every time I did a transfer, I was in and out in 15min or so. The last transfer was 3 weeks ago, they had me put my info in a computer (local gun store) and it was done in minutes.

A customer is a customer. You get them in, they buy ammo, talk about your store, see what you have.

There are A LOT of gun that stores just dont carry. Outside of Cabelas, try finding a SW 929 revolver. Good luck. If you ask the store to order it, now you have to pay MA sales tax.

Being a d*ck to them, not only just cost you the transfer money, but a future purchase and reference.

------------

OP,
For transfers, you should show up and speak to them in person. This State has a hard on for FFLs, if you are on the phone or Email, dont expect to get a good answer, you will get the "cover your @ss" answer. I would do the same.

Maybe...not my experience in the past.

Ive found very much the opposite and a rude attitude when I asked them to match prices or come close. Or just a plain, I cant even get it for that price!

Ive given up, circumvented the bullshit and buy only online now just about.

“transfers wont keep the lights on”. And I get that. So I go to a place that only does transfers now. Im sure I paid their electric biIl this month, between selling and buying theyve done 6 for me.
North Shore Firearms and B&K (in Natick) both have links to their distributor on their websites. You select the gun, if it's in stock, it gets shipped and you go pick it up at the store. You still need to make sure the gun store considers it "MA approved".

The FFL landscape is changing quite a bit, I suspect many are like me and have full time jobs so we can't always answer/return a call during the day.

Also I personally don't like phone calls as they do not create a documented line of communication - say you call and ask me to order a VP9 in that cool new gray camo color they're offering. I order, you show up and ask where the green camo VP9 you ordered is. Now I'm stuck with a gray camo VP9 that no one wants cause gray camo is gay, and you think I'm an a**h***. All for a $25 transfer fee which often can be way more trouble than it's worth(no customer contact info, shipper didn't include an FFL, f*cking packing peanuts).

I do get why you're upset, but don't give up as they're might be other distros/retailers who have what you're looking for.

CK30,
I have sympathy for Your Frustration with the MASS. Compliant BS. I have no sympathy for your misdirected rant against the FFL's that you tried to do a transfer with? The small and large FFL is not getting rich on your $25 transfers. Some of those FFL's have no connection with you as a customer? Some are Small and have Real jobs? Some are large and simply don't want the hassle of your transaction? Come On Really..., Did You really expect an FFL Business owner of any kind to "40 Stroke" You for the hope of handling Your $25 Transfer? You do all the research and You expect the FFL to applaud You ...for Your efforts in the Hope that Some Unknown / New FFL will do What You Want.

Note to self....."Hope is not a Plan"

Not really trying to Flame You, But Really?

If You Love anything related to Firearms? The answer is....... move to another State, as Noted.

Also, I forgot....The FFL Should risk his Hobby, Interest or Business by just meeting Your Requirements and Transfer?

Note to Self.....No FFL is risking His FFL License for some "Joe-Blow" , in an Anti Gun Environment in this State. Nobody wants the Legal Trouble arising from anti gun officials and politicians.

I don't know about MA but in NH there are FFLs who welcome transfers and basically just tell you to ship guns at will and some that make it an exceptional thing requiring pre-approval (generally at a higher cost, ie $40 for a freakin stripped lower even).

I do not do business with any FFL who treats transfers as a special request.

NH FFL'S don't have to worry about State Produced Compliant Lists and Bans.

No MA FFL wants a shipped in gun ( for transfer) that can't be transferred to the buyer that bought it. FFL's don't like running to Fed Ex. to ship "Your" Non Compliant Gun back to the seller or another FFL out of state. Dealers like selling Guns ....not acting as a Personal Shopper , Errand Boy or Concierge for the "Transfer Guy".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom