MA FA-10 completed by gun shop on stripped lowers

I'd say you should do the FA-10 even if the shop did one. The lower doesn't meet the criteria to fire a round. When you build it, it does and that's when it should be registered.

If having two entered was an issue, everyone who built a lower from places like Four Seasons would be getting calls.

Not really. Maybe they are smart enough NOT to re-invent the wheel and just use the gun that was already registered (even if improperly).

if you had a cash cow like Carl does with FS, you would do EVERYTHING you could to ensure your business continues on without a disruption caused because you thought it wasn't necessary to fill out some paperwork. Better to have your employees spend the extra 5 minutes doing the FA10 and providing more than what's necessary than having to deal with the disruption and hassle of an audit/inspection. The tiny percentage of business you may lose because someone gets butthurt over it will be lost in the noise (and they'll probably be back anyway for other stuff).

if you had a cash cow like Carl does with FS, you would do EVERYTHING you could to ensure your business continues on without a disruption caused because you thought it wasn't necessary to fill out some paperwork. Better to have your employees spend the extra 5 minutes doing the FA10 and providing more than what's necessary than having to deal with the disruption and hassle of an audit/inspection. The tiny percentage of business you may lose because someone gets butthurt over it will be lost in the noise (and they'll probably be back anyway for other stuff).

Except there is no "audit and inspection" requirement by the state for selling something that isn't a firearm under MGL- and from the feds POV, if you filled out the forms and the BB entries correctly, there is no functional difference between a business that files FA10s on lowers and one that doesn't. The only functional difference is the one that FA10s lower is wasting a SHITLOAD of staff time processing unnecessary paperwork. You're inventing a problem that functionally doesn't exist. It gets worse if a customer comes in and buys like 5 lowers at once. A slow typer could probably waste 20 minutes or more on the MIRCS terminal just putting all those through. My guess is that FS doesn't move a lot of lowers, otherwise he would have stopped doing that insanity a long time ago. [laugh]

Let's face facts, he does it because it makes him feel good, or perhaps because some fruity lawyer told him to do it, and nothing more. It is his right to do things that don't make any sense (a lot of gun shops do quirky things like that, although not usually that pedantic) That aside, it is incontrovertible that there is no solid legal logic or reasoning behind it whatsoever, though. It's like a guy "waxing his modem to make it go faster" to use Weird Al as a reference.... [rofl]

-Mike

^^^^ drgrant nailed it. I've spoken with Carl about this in the past. There is NO legal basis for him doing this, any more than SO demanding a LTC for ammo sales in NH. In the past Jason Guida put out a memo or some sort of word (might have been in the training) NOT to do this and when he had the 9 person staff, they actively culled out these 0" bbl FA-10s. Michaela told me that now that it is all electronic, she does NOT cull them out, so they are in the system.

Personally as long as I have a FA-10 copy, I could care less what is in the system. I have my evidence if I ever need it to prove that I did it right, regardless of what a dealer does or doesn't do.

Last edited:
I have seen them put 7.62x39 & 16" bbl on an AK receiver that was being built as a 5.45 SBR which results in a completely fabricated and falsified record. Is it the owner's fault he/she owns the gun with a false FA10 record? Or do they then file a second FA10 with the correct data only to create two records for the same serial?

There's no real risk either way, the entire MIRCS database thing is a joke and a pile of refuse. There is no statute requiring/enforcing correctness or intactness of data only that the gun was reported as created or transferred under certain conditions. All FS (and maybe other shops) are doing, by filing these unnecessary forms, is polluting the database with even more junk. [laugh] Whether the state's database is filled with trash or not, is not really a concern to a gun owner at all. Not your problem. The only obligation a gun owner has is to file, assuming correct context, or for the dealer to file, assuming correct context.

Read S128A/B a few times until your eyes glaze over on the extension cord mess and then it will quickly become apparent how relatively meaningless that whole system is.

-Mike

I just organized all my paper records and found a high error rate on the FA-10s, and by multiple shops - wrong barrel lengths, wrong calibres, etc. Shame on me for not reviewing before signing. Hopefully it's not a concern, because my .223 chambered Sig P239 may get me in some trouble.

its on the approved roster.

Back
Top Bottom