MA EZ Drive (EZ Pass) Being Silly and Me being Dumb.

About 2 years ago, my CC on file with EZ pass expired. I decided to not renew it, because this was around the same time that they were starting the pay by plate system. I felt that having the transponder wasn't needed and stopped using it. I had $27 on my transponder account and I just figured at some point, I will close the account and get my $ back.
Every 6 months or so I get a letter saying "please update your CC info". I usually file that in the "I will get to it pile" and never do it.
Today was the day that I decided to sever ties with EZ Pass, close my account, and cash in on that jackpot of $27 they have been sitting on for years now. I logged into my online account and I see that I no longer have $27 but in fact am $49.60 in the red. Looks like when I stopped using the transponders, I should have thrown them away instead of tossing them in my tool box.
May of 2020, I move out of MA, never to return. Unfortunately for me, my transponders rang up almost $80 in tolls while being trailered out of state.
I called and after 30 minutes on hold, I got a human on the phone. Explained to her that I would like to close the account and pay the stupid $49.60.
She explained to me that I had log in online, pay the total due, send the transponder to Auburn, MA and after 15 days, they will close the account. I ask if there is a charge for the transponder if not returned, because I tossed it a while ago. She says, $8.00.
But then I noticed, I am not being charged any fees on this $49.60 that I have owed for the past 16 months. So I asked her when the will do I get hit with fees. She explains that there are no fees.

Looks like I will be a MA EZpass customer for a long time then.............

I'm confused. Where did the $80 in tolls come from???? What state? How?
You can easily rack up that much in tolls in our lovely northeastern region. As much as I criticize MA it's actually pretty cheap for tolls. NY I can confirm reams you on tolls if you're hauling stuff. NY will essentially multiply your toll by the number of axles you have touching the road. I had a Uhaul truck with a car hitched to the back and drove about 2/3 the length of the NY thruway to MA border (technically Canaan NY) and I had to pay over $50.

my brother got Dad's 5 number plate, dopes at EZ Pass or whatever they call it were nailing my brothers account for someone else's tolls... took forever to get it straightened out.

it pisses me off to no end they are sitting on $67.39 of my money, I have a couple of hits at the Hookset tolls in May, and other than that just the tolls on the return trip from FL in April and going down last September.

Minimum balance is $40, at which point they grab another $40

They are a PIA to deal with. We were in NJ recently visting my wife's family. I saw my transponder wasn't being picked up at toll booths down there. I called a couple of times to try to order a new transponder. Couldn't get a live person. Finally did reach someone on the 3rd try. No idea what my "PIN" code is, so they couldn't help me. They sent me some form to fill out. F it, I'll just drive with the dead transponder. They'll just read my plate instead. No added fees for that anyway.

Outside of mASS, are there states that use gantry transponders instead of toll "booth" transponders?? Last time I drove NJ they had the massive transponder areas and the physical toll booths. Yes?

If paying with EZ, did you get billed otherwise???? Or was the EZPass the ONLY way you got billed and you really aren't bilking mASS as much as you're bilking the state you were driving in.

Outside of mASS, are there states that use gantry transponders instead of toll "booth" transponders?? Last time I drove NJ they had the massive transponder areas and the physical toll booths. Yes?

If paying with EZ, did you get billed otherwise???? Or was the EZPass the ONLY way you got billed and you really aren't bilking mASS as much as you're bilking the state you were driving in.
Most of the states are using pay by plate now as well. So I was double billed for some. I went back and forth 4 times in a month, so my pay by plate bills were big around that time. But looks like there was one trip that was more expensive than the rest. Each state sends an individual bill now.
My wife went to MA a few months ago, and tolls from each state she went thru are slowly coming in right now.

1) all my transponders are in my desk draw.
2) all cars are register to ezpass account, that's the trick.
3) I drive through all ezpass lanes no matter what state. some how they don't read the transponder sitting in my desk draw in my home office. all become video reads if I'm read at all. then no fine , never been sent a paper bill from any state because of item 2

my brother got Dad's 5 number plate, dopes at EZ Pass or whatever they call it were nailing my brothers account for someone else's tolls... took forever to get it straightened out.

it pisses me off to no end they are sitting on $67.39 of my money, I have a couple of hits at the Hookset tolls in May, and other than that just the tolls on the return trip from FL in April and going down last September.

i just updated my cc # on my account yesterday and the min replenish and balance was $20.

About 2 years ago, my CC on file with EZ pass expired. I decided to not renew it, because this was around the same time that they were starting the pay by plate system. I felt that having the transponder wasn't needed and stopped using it. I had $27 on my transponder account and I just figured at some point, I will close the account and get my $ back.
Every 6 months or so I get a letter saying "please update your CC info". I usually file that in the "I will get to it pile" and never do it.
Today was the day that I decided to sever ties with EZ Pass, close my account, and cash in on that jackpot of $27 they have been sitting on for years now. I logged into my online account and I see that I no longer have $27 but in fact am $49.60 in the red. Looks like when I stopped using the transponders, I should have thrown them away instead of tossing them in my tool box.
May of 2020, I move out of MA, never to return. Unfortunately for me, my transponders rang up almost $80 in tolls while being trailered out of state.
I called and after 30 minutes on hold, I got a human on the phone. Explained to her that I would like to close the account and pay the stupid $49.60.
She explained to me that I had log in online, pay the total due, send the transponder to Auburn, MA and after 15 days, they will close the account. I ask if there is a charge for the transponder if not returned, because I tossed it a while ago. She says, $8.00.
But then I noticed, I am not being charged any fees on this $49.60 that I have owed for the past 16 months. So I asked her when the will do I get hit with fees. She explains that there are no fees.

Looks like I will be a MA EZpass customer for a long time then.............
If it goes past due, they just make it so you can't renew your license in the state you are in....ask me how I know lol I did the same shit with my commercial account, ended up having to pay it.

last weekend: went from MA to PA to NJ to NYC under some bigass tunnel somewhere, my MA EZ was taking a ton of hits, I hate to see that bill.
My wife said that tunnel alone to get into NYC is $16 per car!

last weekend: went from MA to PA to NJ to NYC under some bigass tunnel somewhere, my MA EZ was taking a ton of hits, I hate to see that bill.
George Washington Bridge with a double axle trailer was like $50 one way.

I had a expired card on my NH EZpass and the total was $1500 in fines
The STATE OF NH took a settlement for $250 in administrative fees (Check to NH DOT)
Payment for tolls to EZpass
Obviously I went through MA tolls and no fines/fees. Just NH
EZpass was easy to deal with. Answered right away, followed up, NH you can not call the person in charge. It is Email and 1 month for a response

You can easily rack up that much in tolls in our lovely northeastern region. As much as I criticize MA it's actually pretty cheap for tolls. NY I can confirm reams you on tolls if you're hauling stuff. NY will essentially multiply your toll by the number of axles you have touching the road. I had a Uhaul truck with a car hitched to the back and drove about 2/3 the length of the NY thruway to MA border (technically Canaan NY) and I had to pay over $50.

NY has ridiculously expensive tolls. And even more so because they have one of the highest state gas taxes in the country. The state gas tax is $.43 per gallon plus the fed part

1) all my transponders are in my desk draw.
2) all cars are register to ezpass account, that's the trick.
3) I drive through all ezpass lanes no matter what state. some how they don't read the transponder sitting in my desk draw in my home office. all become video reads if I'm read at all. then no fine , never been sent a paper bill from any state because of item 2

Same here! The video reads check if your vehicle is registered with ezpass and just charge your account as if the transponder was in the car. Sometimes they don't charge at all.

5lt7l7.jpg

Do what to OP says, but remove the card # and drain it down some. I only update to the minimum when the Bedford toll sign says "low bal". After the card I had expired about 5 years ago I never updated. A few times I did get whacked when it ran out.

Back
Top Bottom