• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Excess Antlerless Deer Tags now available.

I think you can only get them online, if you got your hunting license online.
If you bought your license at ( insert store name here,) you must show up
at a mass wildlife office.

I think you can only get them online, if you got your hunting license online.
If you bought your license at ( insert store name here,) you must show up
at a mass wildlife office.

You can get them over-the-counter regardless of where or how you purchased your license.

Zone 11 sold out at 3:20pm this afternoon.

There are still some 10's left, but get them soon!

Got my 10, why so few this year?

There were about as many as last year. However, this year there were fewer 8's and 9's. When those sold out in the first round (8) and re-draw (9), many people began gobbling up the 10's, so fewer permits made it to the over-the-counter process.

In general, as deer densities reach ecological and cultural carrying capacities of a given area, the number of permits available declines. The Western part of the state is slightly below capacity, so fewer permits are available. The central part of the state is about where it needs to be, so about the same number of permits are issued (generalization, it varies by management zone). The Eastern part of the state is still way above goal (mainly due to cultural capacity and not ecological), so always plenty of permits available.

There were about as many as last year. However, this year there were fewer 8's and 9's. When those sold out in the first round (8) and re-draw (9), many people began gobbling up the 10's, so fewer permits made it to the over-the-counter process.

In general, as deer densities reach ecological and cultural carrying capacities of a given area, the number of permits available declines. The Western part of the state is slightly below capacity, so fewer permits are available. The central part of the state is about where it needs to be, so about the same number of permits are issued (generalization, it varies by management zone). The Eastern part of the state is still way above goal (mainly due to cultural capacity and not ecological), so always plenty of permits available.

What sucks is, I usually get a 10 and 11, as I hunt both areas when I get the chance. And the 11's were sold out. The division line between the zones is practically a stones throw from my house, Rt 1A. My town is split in half!

Back
Top Bottom