• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA EOPS roster questions

Hi all,

Hoping someone on here can help me out with a quick question. I was browsing the MA Approved Weapons roster, and I noticed a few guns that I was interested in (for example, a S&W 3913, non-LS or TSW) are no longer on the roster.

If a gun was on a previous version of the roster, but is then dropped from it, does it become illegal for a FFL to transfer it?

I'm 95% sure the answer is yes, but god damn it, that's the stupidest, most asinine thing I've ever seen. The idea that what was one year a safe, compliant gun (that passed the safety tests!) can the next year become unsafe is just...insane.

there are a million gray areas on the EOPS list. reality is none of them matter if you find an FFL willing to do the transfer. if you call an FFL and tell them "hey it's not on the list anymore, can you transfer it?" then expect them to say no since you've basically forced them into doing so.

Guns are NOT dropped from the EOPS Roster normally. Just ask Ruger about that. They demanded that GCAB drop almost all their guns from the roster and was told that "we don't do that"!

So unless GCAB found out that there was something fraudulent in the data or they mistakenly approved something, there would be no reason for them to drop a gun from that roster.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question and I have no idea why they might have done that. I no longer speak to or communicate with the chairman of the GCAB, so I have no good way to research the answer you seek. Sorry.

ETA: Legally if it isn't on the current roster, FFLs are legally forbidden from transferring the gun to a MA resident (unless it was in-state on/before 10/21/1998 and thus grandfathered).

Hi all,

Hoping someone on here can help me out with a quick question. I was browsing the MA Approved Weapons roster, and I noticed a few guns that I was interested in (for example, a S&W 3913, non-LS or TSW) are no longer on the roster.

If a gun was on a previous version of the roster, but is then dropped from it, does it become illegal for a FFL to transfer it?

I'm 95% sure the answer is yes, but god damn it, that's the stupidest, most asinine thing I've ever seen. The idea that what was one year a safe, compliant gun (that passed the safety tests!) can the next year become unsafe is just...insane.

Stop looking at the stupid roster. Just go find the guns you want and buy them. Handgun compliance is NOT YOUR PROBLEM as a consumer- and looking at lists etc is NOT a guarantee that a dealer will or will not transfer a handgun, so effectively, the list, from a consumer standpoint, is a complete waste of time. All you can really do is talk to dealers to see what they can and can't do for you, that's the only real way to figure out whether or not you can get it. Don't try to make sense of the lists, etc, you'll just get an aneurysm doing so. It's not worth the blood pressure increase.. and the more time you waste doing that, the less time you will spend getting the gun you want.

-Mike

The 3913 is a Gen 3 S&W pistol. Were those even still being made after 1998? In other words are you sure they were ever on the list?

Stop looking at the stupid roster. Just go find the guns you want and buy them. Handgun compliance is NOT YOUR PROBLEM as a consumer- and looking at lists etc is NOT a guarantee that a dealer will or will not transfer a handgun, so effectively, the list, from a consumer standpoint, is a complete waste of time. All you can really do is talk to dealers to see what they can and can't do for you, that's the only real way to figure out whether or not you can get it. Don't try to make sense of the lists, etc, you'll just get an aneurysm doing so. It's not worth the blood pressure increase.. and the more time you waste doing that, the less time you will spend getting the gun you want.

-Mike

Best advice given.

OP, just follow Mike's advice and be happy.

How does the EOPS list effect an out of state purchase?

Ie: if I am licensed in another state and purchase a handgun in that state.

Thanks,

Bob

You might end up in Federal prison, assuming you bought it there and return to MA with it. But not for the reasons you might think.

Fed Law prohibits transfer of handguns to anyone not living in the same state as the dealer's FFL and no FTF between parties who live in different states are allowed either. It's been the law since 1968.

Thanks,

Bob

It's not relevant if you're actually a resident per BATFE standard in that state (which is the only way you can buy handguns there, wherever "there" is) but as Len indicates thats a whole other potential ball of wax.

-Mike

As others have said, you can't do that. The fact that you may have a concealed carry license from another state does not change what you can purchase where.

Under federal law, you can purchase a handgun from a dealer in your state of residence or from a private individual in your state of residence. If you purchase a handgun from an out of state dealer or private individual, it MUST be transferred to you through a dealer in your state of residence.

So, suppose you see a MasterBlaster 45 up at Rileys in NH that you want to buy. You buy it from Rileys. They ship it to your friendly local MA FFL so it can be transferred to you. But if you look at the MA statutes and regulations, you will see that they cover the transfer of firearms. Since a MasterBlaster 45 is not on the EOPs Approved Firearms Roster, your friendly local MA FFL can't transfer it to you.

Until and unless federal law changes, there are no easy end-arounds for MA handgun compliance.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I have no desire to end up at club fed. I forgot that it had to go through a Mass dealer on the other end. DOH

Stupid question.

No, not a stupid question. Stupid law.

Last edited:

-Mike

This

The 3913 is a Gen 3 S&W pistol. Were those even still being made after 1998? In other words are you sure they were ever on the list?
Production of the "plain vanilla" S&W Model 3913 ended in 1999. It was never submitted for testing and never appeared on the initial EOPS list or any subsequent EOPS list. In other words, it is a "pre-list" handgun and dealer rules regarding the sale of "pre-list" handguns in MA apply.

...I know that doesn't directly answer your question and I have no idea why they might have done that. I no longer speak to or communicate with the chairman of the GCAB, so I have no good way to research the answer you seek. ...

Who IS the chairman of the GCAB? Who else is on that board? Do they have a posted agenda and meeting minutes to review? What is their charge, or mission statement? What role do they play in MA gun laws/rules/regulations/enforcement anyhow? Totally forgot this group even existed.

Who IS the chairman of the GCAB? Who else is on that board? Do they have a posted agenda and meeting minutes to review? What is their charge, or mission statement? What role do they play in MA gun laws/rules/regulations/enforcement anyhow? Totally forgot this group even existed.

Minutes from their meetings can be found online:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/

The statute governing the GCAB:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section1311~2

Last I knew Ron Glidden was the chairman of the GCAB.

I read the minutes of the last 3 meetings... all they publish is the agenda. LOL

What minutes? I've never seen them published anywhere. Only seen agendas published and they didn't even do that until recently. Perhaps because a few of us posted here that they were NOT publishing them. Elisabeth Ryan trolls this forum and perhaps caught on that one of us might file a formal complaint about violations of the "open meeting law"??

Having attended one meeting years ago, I'm sure that any minutes would be sanitized to the point that reading them would be pointless and content-free. The meeting I attended was a shitstorm . . . they admitted that they were in violation of Federal Law (intentionally) and a whole bunch of other stuff that if it ever was publicized to the right people within law enforcement there would probably have been some consequences. I only attended that meeting because it was held immediately after a CMR public hearing that I attended, so I was already there.

Hi all,

Know anyone that owns property in another state?

Back
Top Bottom