MA EOPS Approved Firearms list?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to find out when the next "Approved" firearms list will be issued by EOPS? I've been told that they have to release/update the list four times per year. The current list was released in July. http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

I sent email to a contact address on the web site and received a snarky response from the Assistant General Counsel stating that the Gun Control (damn) Advisory Board met in November and the list would 'likely' be updated this month.

Sounds like you got your answer.

Snarky is about the best you can expect from these bureaucrats.

Unless you attend the GCAB meetings, I doubt that anyone else knows when they might release those rosters. They also aren't subject to any sanctions for not releasing 4/year, so they do as they please. In addition, if there have been no additions to the list, paying the Glob and Herald ~$10K each to publish the same list is a huge waste of our money and I'd support them NOT complying with the 4x/year in that case.

As much as the "Open Meeting Law" requires PUBLICLY posted agendas xx hrs in advance of any gov't meeting and publicly accessible minutes of said meetings, I have never seen/found anyplace where you could get this info on the GCAB. Back in the MAF days, Ron Glidden was a member of MAF and would post the agendas there. But since MAF died and the rise of forums, that has not been the case.

ETA: Until recently it was the job of the County DAs to enforce the "Open Meeting Law" on local gov't and they do a decent job when they get complaints (I think it is now the AG's job and we can guess how that will go). However, I suspect that the state exempts itself from its own laws or they just refuse to enforce them . . . same effect.

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to find out when the next "Approved" firearms list will be issued by EOPS? I've been told that they have to release/update the list four times per year. The current list was released in July. http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

I sent email to a contact address on the web site and received a snarky response from the Assistant General Counsel stating that the Gun Control (damn) Advisory Board met in November and the list would 'likely' be updated this month.

Define snarky. Post the full reply so we can all basque in that person's power over us!

Ok so glock is on it. How come can I not buy a new glock in mass? Would love to own a new one!!

Ok so glock is on it. How come can I not buy a new glock in mass? Would love to own a new one!!

Because the EOPS roster is only the first tier of compliance. The 2nd tier is the AG and Glock doesn't pass muster with the AG's office. The AG's office does not maintain a list. (to add to the fun).

-Mike

That is explained pretty clearly in paragraph 3 on the first page of the roster.

Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations.

There aren't two lists - the AG has never issued a list.
There are two lists, plus the AG's non list.

There is a roster of "lab tested" guns and another roster of "formal target shooting guns". A gun must be on one of these lists and also on the virtual non-list that is maintained by the AG's office.

There are two lists, plus the AG's non list.

There is a roster of "lab tested" guns and another roster of "formal target shooting guns". A gun must be on one of these lists and also on the virtual non-list that is maintained by the AG's office.

My turn to play "gotcha"!! [laugh] [laugh]

Being on the Target List means that the AG can pound sand. AG Regs do not apply to certified (by EOPS) Target handguns. Sadly there is less than a handful of said certified Target handguns last I looked.

Back
Top Bottom