• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA DFW and banning coyote contests

MassWildlife wants to ban coyote-hunting contests

While I have no opinion on the contests, I do have to wonder. If this vocal minority carries so much clout, would the DFW also ban hunting altogether for the same reason they want to ban contests? The impetus would be the same.

""We treat coyotes as we do all species under our authority, as an important natural resource,” MassWildlife biologist David Wattles said in a presentation to the board.

It is legal to hunt coyote in Massachusetts, and hunting contests are not illegal, but MassWildlife wants to prohibit them because of recent public concern.

MassWildlife began reviewing the practice in response to public outrage over a contest held by Powderhorn Outfitters, a gun shop in Hyannis, last year. Powderhorn Outfitters offered rewards for those who killed the most coyotes or who killed the most cumulative weight of coyotes.

“We got phone calls, emails and letters asking us to ban the contests,” Mr. Wattles said.

While the contest in Hyannis specifically drew attention, contests are held annually in Pittsfield and Granby as well.

In response to public concern, MassWildlife held four public listening sessions across the state and solicited public comment through July 2. Mr. Wattles said the agency received over 700 responses, including phone calls, emails, and letters, that almost all opposed hunting contests.

“Over 95 percent of the comments were strongly against these contests,” Mr. Wattles said in his presentation to the board. “Many people stated that they were not against hunting or coyote hunting, and the contests were the issues.”"

One of their concerns was that the antis would go out and get enough signatures to place a question on the ballot, and it would ban more than just coyote contests.

I went to one of their "Listening Sessions" last year on the Cape. None of those who spoke up against it actually mentioned the contests. They were simply anti-hunting.

At the presentation, MassWildLife stated that up to 7000 yotes could be harvested in Mass without affecting the overall population. 2018 was the largest harvest ever, and it didn't even hit 1000. (I think it was between 700 and 800 where previous years hovered around 500).

I seriously doubt anyone goes hunting with the expectation of winning a contest. It's nothing but a marketing strategy to get more hunters into the store running the contest, in order to get them to buy stuff. The contests do not affect the size of the harvest, they only make it slightly more interesting for the hunters.

Next will be the "biggest buck" pools. Followed by fishing tournaments. And eventually all hunting and fishing. Death by 1000 cuts.

Yep. It's going to be deer pools, then any kind of fishing derby that's not catch and release and so on. The point isn't that they care about coyotes, they just hate hunting.

I think they should suspend coyote contests ands hunting for three years. Then all the coyotes will have their way in and throughout the neighborhoods chasing and killing little dogs and cats and raiding chicken coops and rabbit pens or when an elderly person crashes killing themselves or others because of a coyote in the road. Or a new driver who happens upon one at highway speeds and the result is twisted flesh and metal.

Then the idiots will call to have it all started back up again.

They do not understand the service that these hunters are providing un those communities. But they will when the coyotes are running around unchecked.

Coyote hunting is hard....They're not active much during the day so you have to hunt at night. You can't use artifical light which means you can't see shit. They make it damn near impossible unless you have some big dollar thermal optic.

I think they should suspend coyote contests ands hunting for three years. Then all the coyotes will have their way in and throughout the neighborhoods chasing and killing little dogs and cats and raiding chicken coops and rabbit pens or when an elderly person crashes killing themselves or others because of a coyote in the road. Or a new driver who happens upon one at highway speeds and the result is twisted flesh and metal.

Then the idiots will call to have it all started back up again.

They do not understand the service that these hunters are providing un those communities. But they will when the coyotes are running around unchecked.

Nope. They will ask for more of your money through taxes to "hire professionals" to come and do the job.

Coming next:
Expanding the setback for coastal waterfowl hunting from 500' to 1000' or more.

First anti to loose her cat will be up
in arms that the state do something.
Not one of them knows the service
hunters do for the state.

So I've been thinking about this (I know, a stupid thing to do).

What animals deserve to be protected? Obviously the moonbats think Coyotes deserve protection. Where does it stop? Can I kill racoons? Rats? Mice? Mosquitos? Fleas? Ticks?

Where is the line drawn and why?

In my opinion, the line is drawn at humans. If it's my dog, I should be allowed to shoot him. Many won't agree, but that's my opinion. I'm a wimp and probably couldn't bring myself to shoot my dog, but I think I have the right to do just that. It's my property. If I want to kill a coyote, that's OK too. If I want to kill a racoon, rat, mouse, mosquito, flea, or tick, I think I have that right.

Nope. They will ask for more of your money through taxes to "hire professionals" to come and do the job.

you know what.....you are right. That is how it would play out. But, until then all their little doggies and kittens will get eaten....lol

I went to one of their "Listening Sessions" last year on the Cape. None of those who spoke up against it actually mentioned the contests. They were simply anti-hunting.

At the presentation, MassWildLife stated that up to 7000 yotes could be harvested in Mass without affecting the overall population.
They've since stepped up their rhetoric.

At the June 4th hearing this year,
their biologist stated it was impossible
for over-hunting to have a permanent effect on the coyote population.

No, really.

Kill all you want, the coyotes will just breed more.

Back
Top Bottom