• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA DEER CALLS

Hey guys, I havnt used calls really when hunting deer in Ma and I was looking for some recommendations. What have you tried and what has worked the best. Can you also please describe the scenario in which you used it.

My co-workers get those all the time.
"Yes dear. Yes dear. YES dear."

I, myself, am single.

[rofl]

I'm not a hunter, but am interested as I may become active (altho not likely in Mass.)
Subb'd, and bumped.

I've used grunt tube calls, and had bucks answer back and come in. Not much luck with the bleet can, the times I've tried it. I had a bear come charging into a doe bleet, while I was using a grunt tube, last season. That was intense.

For my situation, the woods I hunt are extremely dense, and I've blown my cover with movement during calling. The deer see me before I see them. This year, I'm going to try to brush-in my stand. And, if I hear a deer anywhere nearby, I'm going to try to remain still and wait to see if it comes in, instead of trying to call it in closer.

I've never had luck with any type calls. I've never had any luck with any type scents either.
This year I'm gonna save my money and not buy any. Just gonna climb my stand, and if it happens it happens.

I've never had any luck w deer calls, nada.

as for scents, i keep my clothes clean and scent free and either use no scent spray at all or a very small amount (one or two little squirts of spray)

over doing the spray and calls is really common and i believe it makes deer cautious and they may avoid the area as they hear foreign noises / scents

Ive had good luck with rattling, tending grunts and bleats. Ive seen all sorts of this stuff go on in ct when i bowhunt in high deer density areas

Dont overdo it. Absolutely do not do it when the deer is close. They will pinpoint you right in the tree.
Generally i will do a sequence every hour or so. If a deer walks by out of range, i let it pass and try calling it back. This has worked on several big 200 pound plus deer ive shot with the bow.

My friend just shot a medium buck the other day, it was out of range and he grunted and it came to check out and got close enough for a shot this was in september. Ive also shot deer in january using the same method

Some does will get scared away by grunts because they hate getting chased. Especially during rut when does tend to avoid bucks because they get annoying

I dont use scents. Ive had deer stop and snif, ive had deer run away and spook. Not worth it

Ive jad some luck with calling in low deer density spots in ma too. Generally this was confined to the rut. But the rut is the only time i hunt ma so its biased. Aggressive rattling has worked pretty good for me here during bow season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom