MA compliant used gun purchaes from out of state

This is very likely to have been addressed before on this forum but I cannot find easily, so I ask again. Feel free to just point me to the relevant threads/posts or to elaborate.

I was under the impression that as long as a gun was on the roster of approved firearms it was a fair game to purchase from anywhere as long as it was shipped to a local ffl and you got control of it in your own state. I thought that this was true for used guns (on the approved roster) as well.

A local dealer told me that I cannot purchase a used gun (although it is on the approved roster) from out of state and have it directly shipped to a local ffl. WTF? Is that true?

If that is true the roster is useless since some of the guns are discontinued and one cannot buy them new (ex. beretta 96 brigadier inox), but these are readily available on "gunsamerica" or "gunbroker".

I was appalled. [angry] I find a gun I like (beretta elite II) and it is not on the roster! I settle for the nearest thing (Beretta 96 Brigadier inox) and it is discontinued and I might not be able to get it used (unless I wait for someone to sell one locally).

What good is LTC if you cannot carry in this state and you cannot even buy the guns you want!?!?!?!?!

AIG

I bought a Remington 870 off a guy in North Carolina (transaction setup over another gun forum). I paid him, he shipped it off to my FFL in Massachusetts and I picked it up. Handguns are another story.

What good is LTC if you cannot carry in this state and you cannot even buy the guns you want!?!?!?!?!

AIG

That's the whole point of the restrictive system. They want you to give up and either be disarmed or move.

Federal law requires that all interstate firearms transfers respect the laws in both the buyer's and seller's states. In addition, transfers of rifles and shotguns need to go through a federally licensed dealer in either the buyer's or seller's state. For example, you can legally purchase a long gun from a federally licensed dealer in another state, without having to go through a dealer in your home state. If you want to purchase the same gun from an individual, a dealer from either state (but not both) is required. Sales of handguns must go through a federally licensed dealer in the purchaser's state. For example, if you want to purchase a handgun from either an individual or a dealer in another state the transfer mush go through a federally licensed dealer in your home state. The EOPS roster and AG rules apply to any transfer through a dealer licensed by the state of Massachusetts, which includes almost all federally licensed dealers here.

Ken

A local dealer told me that I cannot purchase a used gun (although it is on the approved roster) from out of state and have it directly shipped to a local ffl. WTF? Is that true?

It's (partially) BS. An FFL can "import" any gun on the EOPS roster as long as it was made before 10/21/98, even if said gun is not currently "compliant". EG- all the glocks you see at FS and other stores, are not from MA and are readily imported.

The kicker of course, is proving it's pre 10/21/98. With Glock this is easy because lists of
SN prefixes are maintained; with other brands you typically have to call the factory with
the SN, which makes importation a bit more laborious.

-Mike

. . . with other brands you typically have to call the factory with

Which results in some "lazy dealers" telling you that you can not legally import the old, EOPS-approved handguns. Their BS is just covering up the fact that they don't want to be bothered (and it does take time) to check the legality of a specific gun just to do a transfer.

It's (partially) BS. An FFL can "import" any gun on the EOPS roster as long as it was made before 10/21/98, even if said gun is not currently "compliant". EG- all the glocks you see at FS and other stores, are not from MA and are readily imported.

The kicker of course, is proving it's pre 10/21/98. With Glock this is easy because lists of
SN prefixes are maintained; with other brands you typically have to call the factory with

-Mike

Beretta firearms can be easily dated since they have a two letter code stamped above the trigger guard (or on the trigger guard). Here are the beretta codes. So anything AS (1997) or Ax (where x<S) should work. Showing that a Beretta stamped AT (1998) was made before 10/21/1998 will be more of a hassle.

I am still confused a bit. Can a MA ffl dealer import a used post 10/21/98 gun that is on the EOPS roster as of today, although the gun may be discontinued by the manufacturer? That about sums up my question.

If I understand LenS, the answer is likely "No'!

In my original post, when I used the word "local" I was referring to my local ffl (here in MA) not to the out-of-state ffl where the gun would have been purchased from. That may have cause some confusion. Sorry. I should have been more explicit.

AIG

Last edited:
If the handgun was on the EOPS List, made post-10/21/98 AND certified by the mfr to be AG Compliant . . . then the answer is YES, it can be transferred by a MA Dealer.

If the handgun is made post-10/21/98, on the EOPS List but not AG Compliant (i.e. Glocks) . . . then, NO, they can not be transferred by a MA Dealer except to a MA LEO.

If the handgun was on the EOPS List, made post-10/21/98 AND certified by the mfr to be AG Compliant . . . then the answer is YES, it can be transferred by a MA Dealer.

If the handgun is made post-10/21/98, on the EOPS List but not AG Compliant (i.e. Glocks) . . . then, NO, they can not be transferred by a MA Dealer except to a MA LEO.

Thank you!!!

That is what I thought until I spoke to the dealer yesterday.
Either the dealer in question in is misinformed, or he misunderstood me. Interesting thing is that he offered to order it new for me, but said I cannot import (through him/his ffl) the same gun used form out of state.

That, as you may imagine, struck me as illogical.

AIG

Back
Top Bottom