"MA compliant" S&W Shield?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm interested in the Smith&Wesson 45 Shield, and am trying to figure out if I need to buy a "MA Compliant" one.
They have ones with and without a safety. Is it the case that any one with a safety is MA compliant, but if it has no safety then you need to
buy a special version which has a heavier than normal trigger pull?

I'm interested in the Smith&Wesson 45 Shield, and am trying to figure out if I need to buy a "MA Compliant" one.
They have ones with and without a safety. Is it the case that any one with a safety is MA compliant, but if it has no safety then you need to
Stop worrying about the list. You can buy whatever an ffl is willing to sell or transfer to you.

Wow. OP asks about the standard features of A or B and gets accused of being everything from a Nazi prison guard to a Maura suckup. He never mentioned the list or staying in compliance. You guys are a tough audience.
OP, buy the one with with the features you prefer (or you can find available). If you don't like the trigger, Apex makes better ones and it's not an expensive swap. I have the Shield .45 with a safety, which works fine for me as I'm a 1911 guy and have trained that way. My only gripe with the gun is it doesn't like my lead target range reloads. I carry it with 230 grain ball and it is 100% reliable. Good luck finding one.

They are both MA compliant and they both have the 10lb trigger.

Go to their MA compliant catalog page and they both “feature” the 10lb trigger.

I think this is the correct read for OP's question, if the question was whether the the safety allows for a lighter trigger pull or not (which it doesn't here as you posted). That appears to be a common misconception. Maybe there are some guns that have that trade off, but Shield does not. I'll admit that I thought that as well myself for a while.

All mass M&P triggers are f***ed up from the factory.

That said, legally, there’s nothing forcing you to buy one. Find someone who will get you a normal gun and be done with it.

I suppose the next logical question is whether or not one could just buy the free state spring kit and be done with it at about $25. and self-install, or if you also need a replacement sear to reduce the trigger pull, at which point I'd assume you'd be closer to a Benjamin.

I suppose the next logical question is whether or not one could just buy the free state spring kit and be done with it at about $25. and self-install, or if you also need a replacement sear to reduce the trigger pull, at which point I'd assume you'd be closer to a Benjamin.
Given the way those guns are constructed it’s far easier to just buy one that isn’t f***ed up to begin with...

Given the way those guns are constructed it’s far easier to just buy one that isn’t f***ed up to begin with...

I did an Apex duty kit install myself, and I'm far from a gunsmith. Wasn't too bad other than the rear sight being red-loctited on. That was, without exaggeration, the hardest part by a mile.

I did an Apex duty kit install myself, and I'm far from a gunsmith. Wasn't too bad other than the rear sight being red-loctited on. That was, without exaggeration, the hardest part by a mile.

Yes, that's mainly what I'm referring to. Those f***ing things are welded onto the gun. There's no use having to f*** with that if you can simply buy a gun that isn't broken to begin with.

Yes, that's mainly what I'm referring to. Those f***ing things are welded onto the gun. There's no use having to f*** with that if you can simply buy a gun that isn't broken to begin with.

I bought mine used from a member and it has a “free state“ trigger. It’s a great little gun in 45 with a good trigger. They show up in the classifieds fairly often.

Bob

All mass M&P triggers are f***ed up from the factory.

That said, legally, there’s nothing forcing you to buy one. Find someone who will get you a normal gun and be done with it.
The 2 M&Ps that I bought new were non-MA (LEO) models and had 10+ # triggers OOB. Greg Derr did very nice 5# trigger jobs and it cost me less than an Apex kit.

Not possible from the factory.

The best trigger in our house is a Crosman 1377,
but if a Benjamin works better for you, I'm not gonna complain.

Back
Top Bottom