MA Compliant S&W 686

Hello everyone! My first post on NES.

I am looking to buy my first 357 revolver, and I am leaving toward the S&W 686.

However on the MA approved weapons roster it reads
“686-6”.

My question is: Does that mean 6 inch barrel only or is that a model number? Would a 2.5 inch barrel be non-compliant? No need for a 6 inch barrel haha.

Thanks,
Old Iron Sights

Just stop caring about this. Just do yourself a favor and delete the copy of the list you have. Like forget about it, it doesn't matter. Find the revolver you want, and find a dealer willing to sell it to you, and buy it. Find the SKU # and start calling dealers, f*** the stupid list.

I’m just as surprised by the “Smith is better” comments, but to each his own. My original reply to the OP was to evaluate the Ruger side by side, if he had not already, and then make his decision. I was looking at buying my second 686 when the guy at the gun shop suggested I look at them side by side, when I did the choice was easy for me. The GP100 comes with a great double action trigger right out of the box, I got another one that had a trigger job done and it is simply amazing. I’d put it up against any 686 w a trigger job. I have had a number of 686 owners fire my GP100s who had never seen a GP100 before, they were very impressed and wondered why they never knew of the GP100. Had a guy at the range talking about getting his first revolver, a 686, a couple weeks ago. Let him shoot my GP100... he’ll be comparing them side by side, he couldn’t get over how much he liked the Ruger. Everyone knows the 686, it was my first revolver too, but there are excellent alternatives in the price range that are readily available in MA and that was the point I was trying to make w the OP.

If you get a GP100 that was "made on a wednesday" it will be far stronger than any 686 ever made. A guy I used to shoot bowling pins with used to shoot these like ultra heavy like 170 grain .357 mag loads out of his to kill pins with. This was the type of stuff you didn't find much data for in the books, but he would load for it, and he basically told me those loads were only safe to use in a GP100, and that they would f*** up a 686.

Who did the action work on yours?

If you get a GP100 that was "made on a wednesday" it will be far stronger than any 686 ever made. A guy I used to shoot bowling pins with used to shoot these like ultra heavy like 170 grain .357 mag loads out of his to kill pins with. This was the type of stuff you didn't find much data for in the books, but he would load for it, and he basically told me those loads were only safe to use in a GP100, and that they would f*** up a 686.

Who did the action work on yours?

Don't understand the "made on a Wednesday reference"

Not sure who did the trigger work on mine, I traded my GP100 Match Champion for the Standard GP100 w/ the trigger already done.

Don't understand the "made on a Wednesday reference"

Not sure who did the trigger work on mine, I traded my GP100 Match Champion for the Standard GP100 w/ the trigger already done.
He means Ruger does put out a lemon from time to time. So made in Wednesday the factory dudes were paying attention......made on Friday at 3pm means it may have some quality issues. 🤣

But .... Ruger will always stand by there product.....if you have quality issues they will make it right based on my experience and many others.

Back
Top Bottom