• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Compliant S&W 686

Hello everyone! My first post on NES.

I am looking to buy my first 357 revolver, and I am leaving toward the S&W 686.

However on the MA approved weapons roster it reads
“686-6”.

My question is: Does that mean 6 inch barrel only or is that a model number? Would a 2.5 inch barrel be non-compliant? No need for a 6 inch barrel haha.

Thanks,
Old Iron Sights

It's not a barrel length. It's stands for a generation of the revolver.

In a 2.5" they currently make (2) versions a 686+ (7 shot) and a performance center model.

Any model in production can be found if you try hard enough.

I have seen the 3" 3-5-7 many times in Massachusetts / Model 686 Plus 3-5-7 Magnum Series | Smith & Wesson

I own a 66-8 in 2.75" and love it!

A list of compliance models: State Compliance | Smith & Wesson

Note: compliance is an aspect that dealers are supposed to follow. it does not dictate what you can legally own.

Last edited:
If you haven’t done it already, go to a gun shop and compare the 686 side by side with a Ruger GP100. I have both and prefer the Ruger; the Ruger is a little better built IMO but the difference in the double action trigger is what sold me on it. Most of the popular versions of the 686 are available in MA.

Hello everyone! My first post on NES.

I am looking to buy my first 357 revolver, and I am leaving toward the S&W 686.

However on the MA approved weapons roster it reads
“686-6”.

My question is: Does that mean 6 inch barrel only or is that a model number? Would a 2.5 inch barrel be non-compliant? No need for a 6 inch barrel haha.

Thanks,
Old Iron Sights
As a gun owner/buyer, you should never again say the word "compliant" or "the list" or otherwise worry about either ever again. Seriously. If someone will sell you a handgun that you want, and it is not an assault weapon, buy it. Rinse and repeat.

Compliance and the list are things MA dealers worry about and no one else. Go to your local gun shop and find something you like and be done with it.

I am saddened that your first post on NES talks about compliance...

Welcome. I don’t have a 686 but I’ve always wanted one. Like others said no issue with compliance.

Ahh okay thanks everyone!

If the roster only matters for dealers then I guess I should save up for the 586 L-comp. Now there’s a gun that makes me drool.

in a conversation with s&w 4 years ago, they told me, and i quote, "all our revolvers are mass compliant." so i'm getting a hint here that that statement wasn't true?? the reason for the call...i went looking to buy a certain smith revolver and was told it wasn't mass compliant by a shop owner, i was shit out of luck. after the call to springfield, i went looking again, not one to be found in the area. i had four seasons fax their ffl to texas and had one shipped there, no problem. was they guy at smith pulling my leg?

I have had one FFL tell me he has no problem transferring any S&W without regard to the generation number so long as the model number is on the list.....so he would transfer a 686 pre lock pre dash but not a Model 49.

I have also been told by another FFL he didn't transfer SKS's because they were assault rifles and he could get in trouble.

FFL's like LEO's and most gun experts at the range or the LGS not to mention the majority of attorneys in this state are as a rule the worst sources of accurate information.

Go talk to a FFL and if they will transfer it to you buy it but it requires you making contact with them and asking. Promise you will hear all manner of conflicting information most of it inaccurate.

Disclaimer: IANAL but I am a sovereign citizen. :)

If you haven’t done it already, go to a gun shop and compare the 686 side by side with a Ruger GP100. I have both and prefer the Ruger; the Ruger is a little better built IMO but the difference in the double action trigger is what sold me on it. Most of the popular versions of the 686 are available in MA.

I second this. Look into the Ruger GP100 also if you’re looking for a .357.
My small but important gripe about the S&W is the cylinder release.

ruger vs. smith...6 of one, half dozen of the other. i'll take smith revolvers most times but i got to admit, my favorite .357 revolver is rugers old speed six series. talk about a tank. i don't like my gp nearly as much as those speed sixes. as for .38 revolvers, smith model 10 all the way. i prefer fixed sights on 4" bbl and under.

My first revolver, my only revolver is a 686+ 3 inch. Love it and love to carry it in the colder months.
150713_01_lg__83388.1415240183.jpg

I take my revolvers seriously, and I prefer a Smith & Wesson. With a good trigger job, the double action trigger on a Smith is hard to beat. This is one of the reasons why Smiths dominate revolver competitions.

Overall, the quality of Smiths and Rugers is pretty comparable, and they are both good. Both companies make solid reliable revolvers, and occasionally each one allows a lemon to leave the factory. When a lemon does get out, both companies will make it right at no cost to the owner.

I am a little bit surprised at the "Ruger is better" comments in this thread. For anyone who wants either a Ruger or a Smith, I would tell them "that's a good choice." Maybe try the other brand, but if you know what you like, then go with it.

Within the Smith line, the 686 is a good choice. It is not huge, but is solid and can handle a steady diet of 357. With that said, the 686 is not small or light, so I don't think the 2.5" barrel makes the most sense for most people. Since the gun has some size to it anyway, a 3" or 4" barrel tends to be the best compromise for shootability and ease of carry.

I take my revolvers seriously, and I prefer a Smith & Wesson.

I am a little bit surprised at the "Ruger is better" comments in this thread. For anyone who wants either a Ruger or a Smith, I would tell them "that's a good choice." Maybe try the other brand, but if you know what you like, then go with it.

I’m just as surprised by the “Smith is better” comments, but to each his own. My original reply to the OP was to evaluate the Ruger side by side, if he had not already, and then make his decision. I was looking at buying my second 686 when the guy at the gun shop suggested I look at them side by side, when I did the choice was easy for me. The GP100 comes with a great double action trigger right out of the box, I got another one that had a trigger job done and it is simply amazing. I’d put it up against any 686 w a trigger job. I have had a number of 686 owners fire my GP100s who had never seen a GP100 before, they were very impressed and wondered why they never knew of the GP100. Had a guy at the range talking about getting his first revolver, a 686, a couple weeks ago. Let him shoot my GP100... he’ll be comparing them side by side, he couldn’t get over how much he liked the Ruger. Everyone knows the 686, it was my first revolver too, but there are excellent alternatives in the price range that are readily available in MA and that was the point I was trying to make w the OP.

OP - welcome to NES!
You have already demonstrated that you are an above average thinking by choosing the hallowed 686 over the evil POS Ruger. [pot][laugh]. Seriously, it's a coke vs. pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy type argument that has been going on since NES started.
Both guns are readily available at a number of shops in Mass, and MFS offers both for rental, so you can try both and make your decision. Expect to pay a little more for the S&W because the Ruger is a cheap POS, but everyone will tell you how great Ruger's customer service is because so many people have to send their guns back. There are going to be 3 guys that post they have never had a problem with their Rugers.
Don't get me wrong, S&W makes great wheel guns, but some of their semi's are shit. Everything Ruger makes is shit.

Gotta disagree on this one jack. Jerry Maculek shoots Smith and Wesson. I had a Colt Anaconda. Same era Smith and Wesson revolvers are better quality for sure.
Well, I just like Colts. A much accurized 1911 (not A 1), a " Coltguard" finish Python and a Woodsman which I gave to Little Jack for his 8th b'day. Plenty of Smiths and Rugers in the family also. Jack.

I know this is an older post but I'm in the market for a revolver and wanted to see if your opinion has changed about your Ruger?

The Ruger GP100 is the only handgun I have ever regretted selling. I also have an older 686-6 which is my wife’s favorite to plink with.

IMO you can’t go wrong with either.

Bob

I know this is an older post but I'm in the market for a revolver and wanted to see if your opinion has changed about your Ruger?
Ruger is a solid revolver and their customer service is top of the notch. Last summer I sent back a 7 year old sp101 with an eroded and cracked forcing cone from shooting alot of 125 grain hot 357 loads. Ruger replaced the barrel......cleaned it to new.....and polished out all the handling marks for free. From phone call to delivery back to me was 14 days. You can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver imo
Before and after pix
20190620_203149.jpg

20190711_195824.jpg

@whacko DAMN! What powder were you using in those loads? They're toasty!!
H110. Rep at Ruger told me light projos and slow powder can cause that in a 357 mag. They were not even max charge for h110 but yes....they were a bit spicy in a snub revolver. I was also using Remington green and white box 125 grain 357 mag jsp factory and that is about the hottest factory load I've ever put through a 357 mag. Those are no joke. I was chronoing those at 1350 in a 2 1/4 barrel 😳

Ruger still did the repair for free and I promised to use 158 grain projos from now on 😬

As far as the erosion and the crack.....that revolver was more than "well used". I put an average of 50 rounds a week of 357 mag through it for 7 years. Reloads and factory. It earned it's keep. I'm reloading now with 158 grain projos and 2400 powder because with 2400 I can download to more of a medium 357 loading. H110 can't be downloaded much at all

Last edited:
The Ruger GP100 is the only handgun I have ever regretted selling. I also have an older 686-6 which is my wife’s favorite to plink with.

IMO you can’t go wrong with either.

Bob
My first handgun was a base GP100, traded it in for a Beretta 92A1 and forever wished I just saved more money.
So a few years later I picked up the Talo version. No ragurts.

Back
Top Bottom