• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Compliant M&P 15 Noob Butt stock Question

Pants

NES Member
OK, I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm in the right place. If I'm not, I apologize. So, as we all probably know the MA compliant M&P 15 has the fake out adjustable butt stock, which is ridiculous. Needless to say I want to s**t can this and just slap on a decent looking fixed stock.

Now keep in mind, I'm verrrrry new to the world of AR's and want to make sure I'm doing this right. I came across this stock http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/181 which I really like. Would this be easy to install with minimal work? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions. The M&P in question the ORC and I plan on s**t canning the fore end too for a quadrail. Any suggestions on that as well?

Thanks,

-Pants

You are good to go with that stock. Go on you tube and see how to remove a collapsible AR-15 stock, the only hang up you will have is the castle nut, sometimes they are put on and then they peen the nut, if you look close at the nut you will see where someone took a drift punch and peened the nut, which can be a pain in the ass.Make sure you use a good wrench ( made for this application) when you attempt to remove the nut.

There was someone on here who was selling a pin that goes in place of the latch mech on a magpul making it fixed. without pinning it perm

You are good to go with that stock. Go on you tube and see how to remove a collapsible AR-15 stock, the only hang up you will have is the castle nut, sometimes they are put on and then they peen the nut, if you look close at the nut you will see where someone took a drift punch and peened the nut, which can be a pain in the ass.Make sure you use a good wrench ( made for this application) when you attempt to remove the nut.

Thank you! That's what I figured. Is there a certain wrench I should pick up, or is it something I should have in my tool box? Just want to make sure, I know there are a lot specific tools in aspect to gunsmithing.

I highly recommend a AR 15 vice block set.....brownells, midway ect ect. You will need this to hold the upper or lower firmly in z vise with out damage. My spanner nut wrench set actually fit my nut....there are several ar wrenches that have just about all you need for ar work....I have the rock river arms wrench. And vice block set from midwayusa.
you should be able to work through the stakeing. Most of the time its no more than needed to keep nutw from walking under vibration. Take your time. Avoid the cheap ar wrenches.

That is slick. Anyone here tried it?

I made my own, it's easy enough to do with some aluminum bar stock if you have a drill press and a file. I imagine you could do it with cord(less) hand drill too, though it'd be harder to keep the hole straight. If you don't have tools or don't want to take the effort then buy their nicely machined version.

$20 for a piece of metal that does the same thing as a .25cent roll pin?

[shocked]

The point is that it's reversible without leaving a stupid hole in your extension tube. It's for those of us who entertain hope of moving to free America someday [smile][frown]

So, I'm getting everything together to get this stock on. Can I use the same castle nut to install the A2 buffer tube?

Thanks! I'm actually changing my mind on the new Magpul MOE fixed stock. I liked the looks of it at first, but now after seeing it on a few rifles, I'm not feeling it. I think I'm going with a pinned collapsible. It will just look better in the long run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom