• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA - Carrying Pre 1998 Handgun Questions

Hello!

Hopefully posting this in the right thread. I apologize for the long windedness in advance. I sincerely appreciate any help I can get on the matter.

I thought I understood MA gun laws... yes, queue the laughter. But I really hope someone can help answer some questions. I have done extensive research, but this site seems to have a great community for this!

So, hypothetically... I recently got a H&K P7M8. It was manufactured in 07/1994 (clearly printed on the gun itself), well before the 1998 laws went into effect. The P7M8 is not on the list of approved firearms for MA.

I got the gun through private sale. The person I received it from is an MA resident, and had the gun for 8 years (2010 - 2018), and got it from someone (an MA resident) who had it for two years prior (2008 - 2010). Beyond that history, neither of us know anything else.

I was under the impression that the gun has to be registered by an MA resident before 1998 to be legal to be traded in MA. I would think that the gun would follow these guidelines, because getting into MA at any point after 98 would have required an FFL to "sanction" the trade, essentially approving its legality in MA.

But, how can I be sure that the gun is able to be in MA? Am I incorrect about the gun having to be registered by a MA resident before 1998, or does the gun just have to be made before 1998? Is there any way to prove its legitimacy? (ownership records...?)

My main fear is that I use this gun for my concealed carry. I do not know what the repercussions are if a police officer saw my gun on my person for any reason (traffic stop, etc. if requested). Is that grounds for confiscation? Can they even tell?

I registered the gun online and I feel as though it is legitimate to be owned and carried within MA from the information I have gathered. But I wanted to ask these questions to an audience that knows much more than me.

Thank you for any and all help!!

I hate a state that creates this kind of confusion.

You’re perfectly fine, OP. The roster has nothing to do with a gun in your holster, just a gun behind some dealer’s counter. Carry in good health.

Thank you both!!! I had this uneasy feeling that I would not be able to rest with unless I got some confirmation, and you both helped put me at ease on this one.

Thank you again!

No-one cares when or how the gun got into MA. Only dealers need to be concerned about that info before transferring them.

If a cop spotted that gun in MA, and they were a gun person, they would likely be curious about the gun as it is rather unique and rare just about everywhere. Yes, I own one and bought it from a dealer back before the EOPS Roster was created. In fact Four Seasons and Peter Dowd were both selling them back then and it was perfectly legal for them to do so.

You can buy any handgun you can find in MA, even if it's not on the roster - it's just that dealers can't transfer any gun they want but private party, knock yourself out. There are no pre-ban handguns in MA either so nothing to worry about there.

That's a pretty spendy gun to carry.

Well, now it is... back when I had mine it was only about $1200 or so. It is probably the rolex of carry guns though, especially if you have a good IWB holster for
it that holds the gun properly. Selling mine was one of my deepest regret sales.

-Mike

Well, now it is... back when I had mine it was only about $1200 or so. It is probably the rolex of carry guns though, especially if you have a good IWB holster for
it that holds the gun properly. Selling mine was one of my deepest regret sales.

-Mike

I was given mine a long time ago and I considered carrying it. But when I realized a G19 is the same size in the grips, held (this was 1993) 16 rounds, and weighed less I put it in the safe.

Hello!

Hopefully posting this in the right thread. I apologize for the long windedness in advance. I sincerely appreciate any help I can get on the matter.

I thought I understood MA gun laws... yes, queue the laughter. But I really hope someone can help answer some questions. I have done extensive research, but this site seems to have a great community for this!

So, hypothetically... I recently got a H&K P7M8. It was manufactured in 07/1994 (clearly printed on the gun itself), well before the 1998 laws went into effect. The P7M8 is not on the list of approved firearms for MA.

I got the gun through private sale. The person I received it from is an MA resident, and had the gun for 8 years (2010 - 2018), and got it from someone (an MA resident) who had it for two years prior (2008 - 2010). Beyond that history, neither of us know anything else.

I was under the impression that the gun has to be registered by an MA resident before 1998 to be legal to be traded in MA. I would think that the gun would follow these guidelines, because getting into MA at any point after 98 would have required an FFL to "sanction" the trade, essentially approving its legality in MA.

But, how can I be sure that the gun is able to be in MA? Am I incorrect about the gun having to be registered by a MA resident before 1998, or does the gun just have to be made before 1998? Is there any way to prove its legitimacy? (ownership records...?)

My main fear is that I use this gun for my concealed carry. I do not know what the repercussions are if a police officer saw my gun on my person for any reason (traffic stop, etc. if requested). Is that grounds for confiscation? Can they even tell?

I registered the gun online and I feel as though it is legitimate to be owned and carried within MA from the information I have gathered. But I wanted to ask these questions to an audience that knows much more than me.

Thank you for any and all help!!
You've already got your answer and are good to go.

However......curious where you got your info that "the list" is a list of what you are legally allowed to have in your possession. if it was a "trainer" at a safety course these asshats need to be outed. If is was a friend or relative.....they need to be slapped. :)

Back
Top Bottom