MA Cannon license

Is there a minimum size for something to be considered a cannon? Also, you only need a license to shoot one, not to own one, correct?

Very tempted to get this for sh1ts and giggles:

One of the arguments against ARs was that “the founding fathers could never have envisioned such a weapon of war when the 2A was drafted and hence they need to be banned”. Since cannons did exist when the 2A was drafted I think the correct response is FOAD…is cannon violence that much of a problem these days? Jeesh….stupid that you need a permit.

I think it may be a Canon firing license, not a possession license. One local club member (RIP) had a real canon, though he often shot it with blanks, and had a cannoneers license. He told me the exam was "list the steps to prepare and fire a canon" and it was issued through the state fire service, not a police department.

Last edited:
I realize I'm a bit late to this thread, But.. I have a Cannon License. My non profit is called History Expo Inc. we own or have the use of several models of guns, we use them for all different types of events: reenactments, brewery openings, baby reveals, distribute cremains, we also wake up the City of Fitchburg every 4th of July.
July 4th Cannon

Attachments

• 0514191921a.jpg
    0514191921a.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 35
  • FB_IMG_1532447232099.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532447232099.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
  • FB_IMG_1621201789631.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621201789631.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
I realize I'm a bit late to this thread, But.. I have a Cannon License. My non profit is called History Expo Inc. we own or have the use of several models of guns, we use them for all different types of events: reenactments, brewery openings, baby reveals, distribute cremains, we also wake up the City of Fitchburg every 4th of July.
July 4th Cannon
How do you feel about helping some of us get licenses? :)

I'm planning on setting up a course this April/May.
Location will be in Central Ma.
Course will be 1 evening and 1 Saturday.
Limited to 6 people
Class includes a prep guide
How to navigate the Massachusetts process
Cannon crew roles and safety
Making rounds, slowmatch and fuze
Range setup
Blank and live fire.
Cost will be $250 per person.
I will post once the logistics are finalized, Hope to have some more details 1st week of February.

Attachments

• 0513171008.jpg
    0513171008.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 0513171026a_HDR.jpg
    0513171026a_HDR.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 0901181917_HDR-1.jpg
    0901181917_HDR-1.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 0902181938a-1.jpg
    0902181938a-1.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 39
  • 0601191543.jpg
    0601191543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Limited to 6 people
Range setup
Blank and live fire.
I will post once the logistics are finalized, Hope to have some more details 1st week of February.
I'd very much enjoy being an attendee and working towards a cannoneer's license.

Limited to 6 people
Range setup
Blank and live fire.
I'm in.

If you'd like, you can use my classroom at The Mill in Littleton. I even have a cannon in it.

A cannon license?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.
People laugh.. but it does have benefits. Technically it is called a "Certificate of Competency" the test is adminstered along with special effect, pyrotechnincs and blasters. One of the biggest benefit is the proof of competency needed to satisfy the National Park Service. Locally It defines what restrictions a municipality may or may not impose. We've pulled permits in 10-12 municipalities in the Commonwealth, and most of the time it has been a smooth process.

Back
Top Bottom