MA Cannon license

Cool thread.

Maybe take a class from a cannoneer and gain their endorsement, then test?

2 other cannon related threads below, some good info, but definitely dated.

Last edited:
Putting a shotgun on a platform is probably ok. Putting one on a UAV, on the other hand, might be problematic.
How? A friend called the FAA and asked "Is there any law or regulation against strafing the ocean with a machine gun?" and the FAA informed him they were aware of no such prohibition. So, he piloted while his girlfriend practiced area denial techniques from the passenger seat on the Atlantic. Made some neat videos as well.

As to the Canon exam - A local cannoneer (RIP) told me the exam was an old fashioned blue book, with one question given: Write down the loading and firing sequence for a cannon.

Massachusetts Firefighting Academy in Stow and Springfield. NES Field trip on 2/17. Have to apply by the end of this week. Not sure how often they run these exams.

Hmmm, the state website claims applications must be received by the 22nd. I wonder if it was it extended:

1611636955762.png

As to the Cannon exam - A local cannoneer (RIP) told me the exam was an old fashioned blue book, with one question given: Write down the loading and firing sequence for a cannon.

Pfah. I read all the Hornblower books before I was a teen; I can run that off in my sleep (it’s 1:38am, so, who knows, I might be sleep posting right now ...)

Worm
Sponge
Ladle powder
Wad (ladle and wad may be replaced by a bag of powder)
Ram
Load ball
Ram again
Run out the gun
Prick cartridge through touch hole
Prime
Cock lock (if equipped)
Fire (pull trigger line or use a linstock with slow match in the tough hole)

Can I haz license now?

Thought the "cannon license" was only required for public cannon shooting displays, not for owning or shooting a cannon at a range privately.

Thought the "cannon license" was only required for public cannon shooting displays, not for owning or shooting a cannon at a range privately.

if you start axing questions from the Man, you'll quickly discover all kinds of regulations on transport and storage and licensing and permits for everything, including "free think"

FWIW Collectors Gallery in Stoneham has an excellent cast bronze 18th century Coehorn mortar for sale with all of the accoutremonts needed, less powdah.

Hardest part seems to be finding a currently licensed "cannoneer" to endorse you. Everything else seems like it can be provided by the FD. I've been wanting to do this for a while, because why the hell not? Plus it would be fun to be at a family or friends gathering and be able to flash the license that says cannon and mortar on it to some lib when the "cuz gunz bad" convo starts and watch their head explode. They'd probably assume you own an M1 Abrams tank or something.

It’s interesting you need a “Cannoneers” license in MA...But there’s no flamethrower requirement

I think y'all need to do some more reading. This was all researched when the cannon buy went down. Not only do you need a license, but once you have said license, every time you want to fire it you must apply for and obtain a one time permit. Part of the application was a drawing showing field of fire with X radius of clear down range space, distance, etc. The permit to fire can be denied for safety reasons by AHJ if they are not pleased. Some thought it better to ask forgiveness than deal with that. There are also stipulations on the amount of apprenticeship/learning under said licensed cannoneer before you can receive your shiny new license. Maybe the rules have changed but I doubt it.

I'm really just interested in having the license because it's fun to have. If I want to shoot a cannon I'll drive to NH.

Guess I'll keep poking around looking for current license-holders.

This is what you want to study for the license/Exam, looked into it years ago, and you had to demonstrate proper loading and powder handling and firing of a large bore (over inch and a half ) cannon. Try reaching out to your local reenactor groups, they can probably point to the correct people to talk to, I have a scale down 1841 six pounder 30" long with about 1 3/4 bore, cast lead or zinc ball for it, it been a while since I have fired live projectiles, but took about a shot glass and a half of cannon powder. never got the licence used to be a pretty active forum over on graybeardoutdoors Blackpowder Mortar & Cannon by Seacoast Artillery

Amazon product ASIN B005WVJOAEView: https://www.amazon.com/Regulations-Department-Containing-Observations-Cannon/dp/B005WVJOAE

Last edited:
OK. I give up. If I ever decide to go fire a cannon during a patriotic celebration or reenactment I'll make sure to comply with 527CMR1 65.11.

Some Fire Departments lack humor.
Framingham FD is a bunch of tyrants! I hate doing any fire alarm work in Framingham and of course they always have their hands out for fees.

No cannon license here. But I would be interested because I like artillery...

I have always shot my 60mm M2 mortar replica on private property, with 100+ acres with juice bottle rounds.
WHEN local LEO show up I let them fire it. Happened 5 or 6 times in 3 different states. Gotta follow local noise ordinance.

Some old, old pics...

Raw:
1620565428297.jpeg

Finished:
1620565350587.jpeg

1620565494186.jpeg

Been about 9 years since I fired it. It's an hour drive to my friends property where I can shoot it.
I don't think my local gun range would allow it. (North western mass) Miller's or Turner's Falls rod and gun...

I'm interested in obtaining the MA license to shoot cannons and mortars, mostly for fun. It requires an endorsement from a current cannoneer. There was one guy who advertised a training program that netted you the endorsement (and relieved you of $250, but I can't fault him). His email, however, no longer works.

Do we have any members here who have a license and would be willing to pay it forward? Do you have any tips for finding current licensees?
Mostly for fun huh? other than fun?

Back
Top Bottom