• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA C&R Question

If I purchase a long gun with my C&R and it is shipped directly to my house do I need to fill out a form FA-10? I am not sure if the fact that the rifle was purchased under a federal C&R license “trumps” the FA-10 requirement.

calafro said:
If I purchase a long gun with my C&R and it is shipped directly to my house do I need to fill out a form FA-10? I am not sure if the fact that the rifle was purchased under a federal C&R license “trumps” the FA-10 requirement.
Yes, you have to report the aquisition on an FA-10 as a registration.
Jon

Nothing "trumps" MGLs. Once it is "in state" it must be registered! No matter how you obtain the gun or from whom/where, if it is now officially yours, it must be registered. FA-10 has a "Registration" block at the top, check that and only fill in the gun info and purchaser, leave the "seller" blank!

Only a minor correction, but one that's near and dear to many of us who haven't lived our entire lives in the PRofMA. You have to register any firearms that you possess in Mass if you obtained them while a resident. Those firearms that you broght with you when you moved here slip in under the legal wires. Unfortunately that little loophole doesn't appear to extend to the case of dual residency.

Ken

So if for instance I have a friend that owned a house and resided in NH a while back and his father was to give him his gun collection, and he moved back to MA he could bring those guns and not have to register them?

Adam

Adam, correct, as long as the transfer of ownership was between two parties who both (at that time) resided in the same state (to meet Fed law) and met any other requirements of state law. [I'd advise drawing up a bill of sale, listing each gun and S/N, signed by both parties and kept by each party as CYA. NOT filed with any authority.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say NO. If you make a purchase long gun or shotgun, or pistol with your C & R when you receive it you must record it into your FFL C&R Record book, but you do not have to send in a FA-10 form. JMHO This would be a good question for Cheif Ron Glidden.
Dan In Boston

Dan,

Your info is incorrect. It's been asked and answered numerous times . . . by Ron Glidden (and CHSB and EOPS). ALL guns no matter how obtained, if they are obtained in or brought into MA, they MUST be registered on an FA-10 within x days (I think it is 7 day, but not positive on the number of days). ONLY exception is if you move in WITH THE GUNS (at the same time) from out of state.

MA laws have nothing to do with bound books, FFLs, etc. when it comes to gun registration (calling a spade a spade here).

The thing to keep in mind is that the Mass laws never, in any way, refer to a Federal Firearm License, either C&R or any other type. Whenever they talk about licensees or licensed dealers, they mean persons who are licensed as firearms dealers by the commonwealth. If you've got a C&R license, or happen to be one of the almost non-existent remaining FFL dealers license holders without a corresponding state license, then the law doesn't treat you any differently than any one else. Any firearms you receive or bring into the state while a resident must be registered with an FA-10. On the flip side, absolutely nothing you already own when you move into state has to be registered, even though some PDs might tell you otherwise.

Ken

> ALL guns no matter how obtained, if they are obtained in or brought into MA,
> they MUST be registered on an FA-10 within x days

Thanks, LenS. I'm glad I read this forum. I just took delivery of my first CMP Garand, and
it didn't even cross my mind that I'd have to fill out an FA-10.

Gawd, I hate this state.

The FRB's FAQ on reporting is on-line at http://www.mass.gov/chsb/frb/frb_faqs.html#purchase

The relevant law itself, MGL Chapter 140, Section 128B is on-line at http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-128b.htm
Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the executive director of the criminal history systems board the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.
Note that the only exemptions are for those licensed by dealers by Massachusetts, without any reference to FFL's of any sort.

Re: Thanks again

News Shooter said:
Every time I think I've got this screwy place figured out I prove myself wrong [roll]

Don't feel so bad. That's the best part of these forums. We can all learn. And no one is gonna rag on you if you're wrong.
When you look at all the goofy laws, it makes you wonder if they're really there to slip you up so you'll get screwed.

How long has it been that our 'lawmakers' have been trying to take away our rights as outlined in the BIll of Rights? (rhetorical question) They have made a few gains but it has proved to take too long for this to happen.

However, it is generally accepted throughout society that convicted 'felons' forfeit their rights to arm themselves or even vote. (I also agree with this in the case of violent crimals)

Every time our 'lawmakers' assemble they pass new laws or amend old ones, as they see fit. The average citizen is clueless of what goes on. It doesn't take rocket surgery to realize the easiest way to strip our rights is to turn everyone into criminals.

A very good article in this month's American Rifleman in Enemy at the Gates.

ETA: The article is in this month's SWAT magazine, not American Rifleman. Sorry.

TonyD said:
How long has it been that our 'lawmakers' have been trying to take away our rights as outlined in the BIll of Rights? (rhetorical question) They have made a few gains but it has proved to take too long for this to happen.
Either that or they try to make it to THEIR way of thinking and scream like bloody murder if you tell them they're wrong. i.e., the 2nd Amendment in ONLY for the National Guard....unless they have a body guard, then they don't even need a license. [roll]

FA-10 forms

[oops] [oops] [oops]

I stand corrected. It was (only my humble opion.) Guess I'll have to order up a basket full of FA-10 forms.
Anyone know the best place to get them BESIDES at the police station? I think if I asked for a dozen or more they would freak out at the desk [lol]

Dan

CaptDan, check your local PD supply before dismissing that as a source. They may have them just sitting out in the lobby.

When I went to our local HQ, I missed the open supply and made the mistake of asking the officers behind the bullet-proof glass...they looked at each other, scratched their heads, and finally told me that I needed to contact the duly-designated Firearms Officer for the town.

When I did so, he sighed and told me that there was a bunch sitting in plain sight in the lobby. I went back, grabbed a handful, and didn't have to talk to anybody.

YMMV.

Re: Thanks again

News Shooter said:
Every time I think I've got this screwy place figured out I prove myself wrong [roll]

It's sort of like the old observation about quantum mechanics: if it makes sense to you then you obviously don't understand it. :?

Ken

Back
Top Bottom