• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Bowhunters course

wdemr67

NES Member
Just completed the Bow Hunters education class yesterday.
Pretty cool class with a lot of common sense advice.
Looking forward to a summer of practice and maybe some luck in the fall.
Any 3D shoots coming up in the metro west area?
Thanks,
Bill

They covered mass laws, equipment, ethics, safety, game handling, tracking and lots of other stuff. I know it isn't required in Mass but I thought it was well worth the time. I feel better informed. The instructors are all volunteers with many years of experience under their belt. They had lots of advice to offer. If you did want to take the class I would sign up soon after the dates are announced. There are other class dates listed on the states web site but they said we were the last class of the year so not sure what's up with that. I think they meant just the classes held in Palmer. If interested I would call the number and ask. Here is the link http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/hed/bowhunter-education-courses.html

They covered mass laws, equipment, ethics, safety, game handling, tracking and lots of other stuff. I know it isn't required in Mass but I thought it was well worth the time. I feel better informed. The instructors are all volunteers with many years of experience under their belt. They had lots of advice to offer. If you did want to take the class I would sign up soon after the dates are announced. There are other class dates listed on the states web site but they said we were the last class of the year so not sure what's up with that. I think they meant just the classes held in Palmer. If interested I would call the number and ask. Here is the link http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/hed/bowhunter-education-courses.html

I took it a few years ago and the instructors were great. It is full of great information. It is really helpful for people getting started.

Though it t isn't required here it is in other states. The difference here is that our Sporting license is a combined license which covers both archery and gun hunting.

Many other states, Connecticut for example, has separate archery and gun hunting licenses. If you want to buy the archery license in Connecticut you need to have a bowhunter safety course. The one here is accepted nationwide.

Bob

I took it a few years ago and the instructors were great. It is full of great information. It is really helpful for people getting started.

Though it t isn't required here it is in other states. The difference here is that our Sporting license is a combined license which covers both archery and gun hunting.

Have not hunted in the past 12+ years. Always thought a Sporting license covered Hunting & Fishing and an Archery stamp was needed for that season. Has it changed?
Back in the day,the archery course was given by an EPO. It required you to bring your equipment and pass a proficiency segment,to use a bow for hunting.

Have not hunted in the past 12+ years. Always thought a Sporting license covered Hunting & Fishing and an Archery stamp was needed for that season. Has it changed?
Back in the day,the archery course was given by an EPO. It required you to bring your equipment and pass a proficiency segment,to use a bow for hunting.

It hasn't changed in Mass. Sporting license and archery stamp to hunt with a bow; sporting license and primitive firearms stamp to hunt with a ML.

One primitive weapons stamp used to cover both but they split it into the archery stamp and primitive firearms stamps many years ago.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom