• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA bow opener

How did everyone make out? Didn't see a dedicated thread. Saw alot of Turkey and a racoon but no deer.. Who's going out tomorrow. Will hit it early but lay off the pm. If you go by charles alsheimer if it's over 55 out it's pointless.. Just adding unnecessary hunting pressure... But on the other hand.. Can take a deer from the couch either... What's everyone else doing?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

was a really warm day compaired to last several. So I expected that would suppress daytime movement. So I went into the office. As the week goes on it looks to get worse. Going to hit 80 on Wed. Temps not looking to drop until Sunday. So I'll see how next week looks and maybe take some time off then.

Also it's a hard time to hunt for the next week or two. The maple leaves are yellow and they're a bigger draw then acorns at the moment. Literally every time the breeze blows food rains from the sky for them. So they don't have to travel far from their beds for an all you can eat buffet. If you're hunting travel routs or oak flats I expect you're going to have a hard time for the next couple weeks.

was a really warm day compaired to last several. So I expected that would suppress daytime movement. So I went into the office. As the week goes on it looks to get worse. Going to hit 80 on Wed. Temps not looking to drop until Sunday. So I'll see how next week looks and maybe take some time off then.

Also it's a hard time to hunt for the next week or two. The maple leaves are yellow and they're a bigger draw then acorns at the moment. Literally every time the breeze blows food rains from the sky for them. So they don't have to travel far from their beds for an all you can eat buffet. If you're hunting travel routs or oak flats I expect you're going to have a hard time for the next couple weeks.

Good advice. I was out for a solid 6 hours and the only movement were chipmunks and a flock of crows chasing off a hawk. Think I'll wait till the temp drops a bit as my tree stands are mainly travel routes.

If any of you can get on camp Edwards on the cape later in the season that's the spot. It's like a zoo out there. Lots of deer and especially turkeys. You can just do drive bys on them-walking the road at all hours of the day. Never seen anything like it. I am always spooking deer as well. Well worth the effort

Got in the stand today around 620 and right around 700 I lean back on the tree and start looking around, when at about the 1100 position, 17yds out a doe starts walking towards me. The ground was pretty damp and she came from a thick area, so it was already too late when I saw her. She stopped at about the 900 position, 10yds away and just stared at me sniffing the air for a minute or so and then slowly walked off.

Going back this afternoon, hopefully she does the same.

Went out last night in humidity , saw nothing, but managed to lose about 3lbs in sweat.

Last edited:
Nothing this morning.. Wasn't planning on going out this afternoon but after seeing the pictures of the big bucks rolling in on Bowhutmass I feel compelled

Sat starting to look good. Temp will be down. It will be after rain fall on Fri so leaves won't be crunchy. Wind will be steady enough that it won't be light variable and changing in direction... just about the best one can hope for condition wise.

Sat starting to look good. Temp will be down. It will be after rain fall on Fri so leaves won't be crunchy. Wind will be steady enough that it won't be light variable and changing in direction... just about the best one can hope for condition wise.
You called it huh?!?

I usually hit the woods hard right from the start. This year I decided to wait. I wanted to go tonight but we had a meeting at work. Hopefully I can get out in a few days. I wanna hunt Ma a little before I go to Kansas and see some real deer.

The cold temps this week should be good...passed on a basket 8 tonight. Had him on camera coming in this morning at 7 and going back out tonight around 6...back out tomorrow morning...to see some real deer.

Weekend was hard for me. I usually take opening week off of work to hunt but have pushed it back until thanksgiving week. Went out Friday morning, Saw 2 small does, 1 large doe and 1 small 4pt. All were about 65 yards out.

Back
Top Bottom