MA Bill Would Outlaw Body Discrimination

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And this come from someone who will need a kidney transplant but will also need to lose weight first.
BTDT. 6 year 3 months 5 day wait for a midnight Friday installation. If you are on dialysis, I recommend the do it your self plan.

Which transplant center are you listed at, or thinking about if not yet listed? I recommend Tufts, but all of the places that do this sort of bodywork locally know what they are doing and outcome differentials have more to do with patient mix than doctoring. Besides one of the transplant surgeons at Tufts is named "Jeff Cooper".
This is no secret and there are no hidden records.
Untrue. All info in the organ waiting list is secret. There is no way you can audit it to see if the powerful and famous a getting special treatment.
And it doesn't matter who establishes the standards, if the are applied in MA, MA law applies. All it will take is one otherwise eligible overweight person to take it to court in MA and the doctors will fall in line to avoid future lawsuits.
The MD has NOTHING to do with the allocation of the organ. (S)he is offered the organ for you after the final test They can only do so much in advance; the final test involves mixing donor and recipient blood, and you refresh the sample on file once a month. Four people ahead of me failed this test and one had a fever so being #6 quickly moved to #1.

The surgeon then decides if (s)he feels it is one worth offering you and if the answer is yes, you have a decision to make when you get the call. Be sure to have a decent undertsanding of EPTS, KDPI, and what level KDPI you are entitled to (no top 20% meat for the old or sick, which is why being offered a top 1/3 was fantastic luck) and have your cutoff for KDPI in mind. The MD who gets called first gets to pick which kidney (generally the left goes first because the connecting tubes are a bit longer). It's OK to turn down a kidney if it does not score well enough. A nephrologist and transplant surgeon told me to require top 60% or above; one nephrologist told me to take anything offered. So, there is not univesal consensus on this. You keep your place in line if you turn down a kidney because you don't like its score.

The entity to sue would be the NE Organ Bank. I doubt the suit would go very far:

The bill would add to the state’s anti-discrimination laws the words “height or weight, unless for the purposes of compliance with any established state, federal, or industry safety standard”
The law has long given the movie industry an out on discrimination laws for the on-screen characters, and races, size, ethnicity, etc. can be a bona fide job qualification. But, that does not generally extend to claims like "We get more business with attractive servers, and meet the job requirement of wearing 5" heels on the job". It will be interesting to see how this aspect of the law plays out if enacted but, since no successful actions have been brought for using actors whose color, height or size matches the role, I don't expect any change.

As to "did it to themselves" - diabetics being blamed isn't even in the same league as seeing an alcoholic get a replacement liver while others are waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 42!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not google this topic. The B.S. that comes up will make one puke.
Hmmm, maybe that's the solution...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
"The bill would add to the state’s anti-discrimination laws the words “height or weight, unless for the purposes of compliance with any established state, federal, or industry safety standard” along with other factors including race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation."

I'm actually wondering what this bill would cover.
Nothing. It is a "feel good" bill that might make a lawyer some money when his/her client doesnt get a job.

MA - working hard to make sure everything is illegal.

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Does this mean my LTC will not have my weight and height listed on it anymore?
Mine just has blinking 9s under weight.

A few years ago, my wife's doctor gained attention by refusing to treat patients over 200lbs. She claimed her staff had suffered injuries trying to accommodate large Americans. She unceremoniously closed her practice a few months later. (My wife's highest attained weight was 118lbs when she gave birth to our 9lb son)

NewGuyRay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
[QUOTE="Rob Boudrie, post: 6624858, member: 137"
As to "did it to themselves" - diabetics being blamed isn't even in the same league as seeing an alcoholic get a replacement liver while others are waiting.
[/QUOTE]

Although, liver transplants related to fatty liver disease are close to challenging the number of transplants due to alcoholic liver disease.

To be fair though, I hope we can move beyond blaming obese people and diabetics for their conditions. These conditions are problems that need to be addressed but blaming the person does nothing to solve the problem.

Obesity and diabetes are not isolated dysfunctions that happen to people by some stroke of bad luck. These conditions, along with fatty liver disease and probably others, can be viewed as symptoms of or related to metabolic dysfunction which drives these other disease processes. There are complex factors contributing to metabolic dysfunction and placing complete blame on the person with it is not constructive. There are many people in this boat who have followed the advice of nutrition and fitness experts and have ended up in this boat. People often receive health information, often with the best of intentions, that is just not right for them and contributes to the problem. This is often in the form of "just eat less and exercise more." We could get into a quite lengthy discussion of the causes of metabolic syndrome but it would not be unreasonable to label it as "processed food disease."

Hell, there are plenty of thin-looking people with fatty liver and T2 diabetes. Look at a Venn diagram of people in this country who are obese, people who are healthy weight, and people with T2 diabetes. What you will find is that while the percentage of obese people with T2D is higher than the percentage of healthy weight people with T2D, the actual number of healthy weight people with T2D is higher. This would be the "TOFI" crowd (Thin Outside Fat Inside). So the problem isn't just fat people.

Since we know that T2D and high blood pressure are the two biggest causes of kidney failure, not all kidney transplants in these categories are driven by obesity. Yet, as a society, we look at the obese person with diabetes requiring a transplant differently than the thinner person with diabetes who also needs a transplant. We blame the fat person but not the thin one.

To be clear though, celebrating "big' people and their "courage" for being out there does not do anyone any good.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Great, so my the new car I want is going to have its doors all dinged up?

Have you ever seen a car dealership lot?

They don't hire fat car salesman for a reason.

They park so close that no fat people could get inside to show a car or move a car because he wont be able to fit into the car with another car so close.

Maybe they should lower the fitness standards for Police and Fire, too.

Having cops who run faster than crooks is racist because more black and brown people get arrested after foot chases.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All of you guys that can't bench 150 can now sue when they won't hire you for jobs that require you to lift a certain weight.

Tall people can now sue if they don't get jockey positions.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Although, liver transplants related to fatty liver disease are close to challenging the number of transplants due to alcoholic liver disease.

To be fair though, I hope we can move beyond blaming obese people and diabetics for their conditions. These conditions are problems that need to be addressed but blaming the person does nothing to solve the problem.

Obesity and diabetes are not isolated dysfunctions that happen to people by some stroke of bad luck. These conditions, along with fatty liver disease and probably others, can be viewed as symptoms of or related to metabolic dysfunction which drives these other disease processes. There are complex factors contributing to metabolic dysfunction and placing complete blame on the person with it is not constructive. There are many people in this boat who have followed the advice of nutrition and fitness experts and have ended up in this boat. People often receive health information, often with the best of intentions, that is just not right for them and contributes to the problem. This is often in the form of "just eat less and exercise more." We could get into a quite lengthy discussion of the causes of metabolic syndrome but it would not be unreasonable to label it as "processed food disease."

Hell, there are plenty of thin-looking people with fatty liver and T2 diabetes. Look at a Venn diagram of people in this country who are obese, people who are healthy weight, and people with T2 diabetes. What you will find is that while the percentage of obese people with T2D is higher than the percentage of healthy weight people with T2D, the actual number of healthy weight people with T2D is higher. This would be the "TOFI" crowd (Thin Outside Fat Inside). So the problem isn't just fat people.

Since we know that T2D and high blood pressure are the two biggest causes of kidney failure, not all kidney transplants in these categories are driven by obesity. Yet, as a society, we look at the obese person with diabetes requiring a transplant differently than the thinner person with diabetes who also needs a transplant. We blame the fat person but not the thin one.

To be clear though, celebrating "big' people and their "courage" for being out there does not do anyone any good.
For the record I said half the people could have avoided the failed kidney, and I got this in a conversation with my Nephrologist, and he agreed. I would think his views have some validity. As for me, I've always had to fight a weight problem, it ain't easy but I did ok. At least until the symptoms of my kidney disease got worse and my energy level dropped way off, that resulted in a big increase in weight. I just can't be very physically active anymore. Now I wait for my kidney function to drop just a few more percentage points before dialysis and getting on a list (and I have to lose weight). What really sucks is that there are other side affects that are tearing my body apart, what I'll be left with when/if I get a transplant isn't going to be fun. An earlier transplant would have meant a much better outcome, but it has to be worse before I qualify, catch 22.

And Rob, thanks for the advice. It helps to hear from someone who's been through it.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To be fair though, I hope we can move beyond blaming obese people and diabetics for their conditions.
Agreed. Can we also agree to blame alcoholics on their condition?

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The sad thing is crap like this will diminish the real accomplishments of people who did not get the so-called "helping hand" that really holds people down:
She may be a great golfer, but would this law require sponsors to give her deals equal to what a similarly skilled female golfer who could get a job at the Foxy Lady would get?

Would Taran Butler be required to provide housing and car to 18 year old women of girth who shoot well if he lived in the DPRM?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So if I run a fitness center I have to hire a manatee sized fitness instructor?
Only if they can prove they can do the job and you used that as your only criteria to disqualify them. It's not as easy as it looks many times.

would that law affect the Hooter's hiring standards...?
Hootergurlz are entertainers, not wait-staff. Ergo, exempt. Same with strippers, although they are paid 1099 so if a fat broad can make bank stripping, more power to her.

Back in my younger crazy days (25 yrs ago), I frequented the strip club up the street (sorta) from Providence Place Mall. Forget the name. In an industrial area near the train tracks. Off of hte 6/10 Connector somehow. It's been years. I'm lucky I can make it to PPM or anywhere else downtown. What a cluster-bleep that whole hwy/town is.

Anyhow, there was this one chick there. She was great to just hang out with. She was in her late 20's and NOT skinny. Not fat. But definitely not a stripper-body as you'd see at Foxy Lady. But she was engaging and made plenty of money because of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom