• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ma belt fed laws?

ok here it is, i am looking to get a RPD which is a belt fed 100 round non disintegrating, the way i am reading the laws is that you can have a belt fed but only 10 rounds, my question is that you can have hi cap mags if thay are pre ban so if the links are pre ban is that ok, i know some my think this is a stupid question but oh well i want one!
thankyou, jeff [smile]

Massachusetts has stupid laws so stupid questions are permitted. [wink]

This has been discussed before and IIRC you'll need pre-ban belts or pre-ban links.

Now I ask; Is there any way to prove the belts or links you may find are indeed pre-ban ? Are ther any serial numbers or production codes imprinted on the belts or each individual link ?

If the company which manufactured them was in existance before the ban then you'd most likely be GTG.
That is, if the belt or link has any markings as to who made it in the first place.

I learn something new about the Mass. gun laws all the time. Whiskey tango foxtrot? Pre ban links? I'm beyond glad that I moved.

MA isn't the only one to blame for this nonsense... applying the definition of "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" to belts as well as magazines, was part of the 1994 AWB. Ammo vendors in those days would break up the belts (if disintegrating), into 10 rd sections, repack them in the ammo can, and sell them that way.

MA just chose to continue the nonsense after the federal ban expired.

The law also mandated the "LCAFD's" have markings to show date of manufacture.

In order to meet that requirement, the ATF required ammo manufacturers to label the boxes/cans the ammo was shipped in and not individual links... meaning, about the only way someone could be busted for illegal possession was if they didn't de-link the stuff and kept it in it's original factory packaging.

s there any way to prove the belts or links you may find are indeed pre-ban ?

If you have a 100 round linked belt and pull a round out in the middle you now have two high cap feeding devices. Do it again and you have four.

MA isn't the only one to blame for this nonsense... applying the definition of "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" to belts as well as magazines, was part of the 1994 AWB.

I know, it makes sense when I think about it, but my gosh, outside of this thread it never would have occurred to me that a series of paper bands could be considered a high cap mag.

Back
Top Bottom