MA ATA Yearly Minimum Targets to Enter MA State Shoot

My brother is thinking of going to the MA State shoot. How many registered targets are needed to qualify to enter the state shoot? What area clubs are having registered targets and which ones are having marathon days?
Thanks in advance.

There is an ATA shoot 5/31 at Minuteman, and 6/7 at Leominster, and then the next weekend is Mass State Shoot. RI state shoot is 6/5 - 6/7. Check NH ATA and see some shoots there too, and you might get close to get enough targets.

holbrook generally runs a marathon shoot might want to check when? I have not competed in trap in 7 years... so i forget when they do it. I used to bang out 500 targets on that day.

Thanks guys, I let him know. Not sure if he's going to the shoot or not. He recently bought a Beretta to shoot skeet and was shooting skeet after many years of shooting trap. Tried his new Beretta on the trap field and started shooting straight rounds pretty easily. Had two days of 99's so he got it in his mind to shoot the state again after a 10+yr hiatus.

what does a AA rating mean? You'll be shooting in a high % group?
Yes, it all has to do with your average. I am looking at the shoot program for this Sunday at Minuteman, Five Classes: AA 96.5 and up, A 94 - 96.5, B 90-93.9, C 87 - 89.9, D Under 87. Then for handicap shooting you are classified by the ATA, however if you have under 1000 targets for the year and previous year, you will probably start at the 20 unless a specific shoot has the standards in their program for penalties. Hope this helped

So if I have no ATA targets, I start the shoot, in the hardest class? awesome!

If you are at the 20 and normally shoot at the 16, would you change a choke from full to extra-full? or just use the same choke?

So if I have no ATA targets, I start the shoot, in the hardest class? awesome!

If you are at the 20 and normally shoot at the 16, would you change a choke from full to extra-full? or just use the same choke?

See my location (<-------) for how to play, unless, you're one of the Big Dogs. It's statistically unlikely that someone not in the AA class will be the overall winner. Most of the lower (A-D) generally have pretty high scores to win them, too. I'll be in C, but once, when the stars aligned, I ran 98/100 (but didn't get my 75 straight patch [angry2] [laugh]). The Lewis gives non-top guns a chance to luck into a score that will give them a few bucks.

As for the handicap yardage, if you're quick on the bird ( Like with my son), I'd not mess with the choke - he shoots full, except in Doubles - the first barrel is IC - he's fast ; if you're a bit slower (like me), then you might want to, though 12 feet further back is more a psychological, than physical factor.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the event at minuteman is 300 targets.

Look at the program that's accessible on the MATA website I liked above. It's 700 targets, between this year and last.

I'd like to enter some of the shoots (RI, MA, NH & ME) next year. If I join ATA after 9/1 for the new year, can I get enough targets for competing in the spring?

I'd like to enter some of the shoots (RI, MA, NH & ME) next year. If I join ATA after 9/1 for the new year, can I get enough targets for competing in the spring?

You don't say what state you're in.

To shoot in a State shoot, you have to belong to the ATA and your State association. (MATA (Mass) means you can shoot in NH, etc.) the State association meets in late fall to set the registered shoot schedule for the following year. they generally publish a calendar showing what, when and where.

There are plenty of registered shoots (Marathons, etc.). Go to the MATA website (referenced earlier in the thread) and click on the calendar for this year - a lot are "repetitive" shoots, hled on the same weekend, etc. A lot of the clubs with a strong ATA presence have Marathons (100 registered targets, low prices), just so you can get birds on your average card.

Back
Top Bottom