• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

Yup, lowers are "other". The "logic" is that they could become a pistol, so they are treated the same as pistols.

See posts 106 and 118....

The Century C308 ?? Good to go in MA ?? Asking for a friend. I said it's GTG

Last edited:
The Century C308 ?? Good to go in MA ?? Asking for a friend. I said it's GTG

After pinning/welding the muzzle device and throwing the bayonet lug away, sure. Could cut the lug off the cleaning kit if it was really important to your friend.
Example:

No shortage of cheap preban mags for those type rifles.

After pinning/welding the muzzle device and throwing the bayonet lug away, sure. Could cut the lug off the cleaning kit if it was really important to your friend.
Example:

No shortage of cheap preban mags for those type rifles.

there's no bayonet lug, and the muzzle device is a brake, so I just need that pinned.

Just above the barrel, sticking forward from the front sight housing is a bayonet lug, attached to the cleaning kit tube that fits inside the rifle. Pull out and toss....

hkk-1287_6_1092_detail.jpg

646805_03_wts_nib_cetme_308_sa_rifle_buy_640.jpg

CetmeCKTube.JPG

If you look at the MA/NJ compliant version Atlantic is selling, it's not there. If I really wanted to keep the cleaning kit tube, I'd cut the lug at the bottom of the notch to leave enough to twist the tube out.

I got an ar9 lower that I ef10 as rifle I want to SBR it would I be asking for trouble being in the city? Can I send the notice to state police ?

It's not even legal to possess in Boston. I wouldn't recommend poking the bear.

To clarify, illegal to possess in Boston for Boston residents, correct? For someone who lives outside of Boston proper, it's not concern what they possess WRT the Boston-specific AWB?

To clarify, illegal to possess in Boston for Boston residents, correct? For someone who lives outside of Boston proper, it's not concern what they possess WRT the Boston-specific AWB?

No. You cannot bring a weapon banned by the Boston AWB into Boston regardless of what town you live in or the address on your LTC.

Does FOPA work for city to city travel? [pot] ;)
Read the wording of the Fed Law. I think that it does. Since there is no rifle/shotgun shooting ranges in Boston proper, the average person would be merely driving thru the City. Personally I wouldn't give that bylaw much consideration as a non-resident of Boston. There are other reasons for my position, but I only discuss those in my Mass Gun Law Seminar.

Hi. I might be putting this question in the wrong place, if so, I apologize.
Here goes: theoretically, if I want build an AR-15 in Massachusetts, it seems to be impossible. However, let's say I want the evil features. What happens if I buy a kit that pins/locks the mag in place, and I use a clip (forget the manufacturer at the moment, but they work) to load through the ejection port? No longer an assault weapon, because the mag is not removable.
Still no dice?
Or can a gunsmith pin the mag for me??

Hi. I might be putting this question in the wrong place, if so, I apologize.
Here goes: theoretically, if I want build an AR-15 in Massachusetts, it seems to be impossible. However, let's say I want the evil features. What happens if I buy a kit that pins/locks the mag in place, and I use a clip (forget the manufacturer at the moment, but they work) to load through the ejection port? No longer an assault weapon, because the mag is not removable.
Still no dice?
Or can a gunsmith pin the mag for me??
Interesting number of questions here. I'm going to assume you are new to firearms, just because you are new here, and we all know theat NES is the center of the universe [smile] . So let's break this down. But first IANAL

Can you build a gun in MA. The short answer is yes, but there are qualifiers to this. Once it's capable of firing you must register it. You also must have the proper license for it, LTC or FID. And that means you have to be Statutorily permitted under state law, "suitable" under state law, and not a prohibited person under Fed law.

Can I have "evil" features? The laws regarding the feature test for an AW do not change if you build it yourself. So you can not build something that would be an AW if you were to buy it that way.

Under Healey's edict, you cannot make an AW into a non AW. It has to have been originally manufactured that way. The Law does not actually say this. So, who knows. But I would think that if you manufacture your own, and make it a non AW from the beginning, that would fit even Healey's BS. On the other hand, if you built it as an AW and then took it to a gunsmith to pin the mag, that would be modifying it after manufacture. But then again, in MA it's not a firearm until you put the upper on, so if you brought the lower to a gunsmith and had them install a pinned mag, then you manufacture the firearm, that would seem to be OK. The point I'm getting at is the Law and the Healey edic are a mess of confusion. So what you do is on you, if you can figure it all out, then do or don't do what you feel is correct. Or talk to a lawyer.

Welcome to the circus we call the M.G.L

And welcome to NES

And of course the requiset Go Green

Interesting number of questions here. I'm going to assume you are new to firearms, just because you are new here, and we all know theat NES is the center of the universe [smile] . So let's break this down. But first IANAL

Can you build a gun in MA. The short answer is yes, but there are qualifiers to this. Once it's capable of firing you must register it. You also must have the proper license for it, LTC or FID. And that means you have to be Statutorily permitted under state law, "suitable" under state law, and not a prohibited person under Fed law.

Can I have "evil" features? The laws regarding the feature test for an AW do not change if you build it yourself. So you can not build something that would be an AW if you were to buy it that way.

Under Healey's edict, you cannot make an AW into a non AW. It has to have been originally manufactured that way. The Law does not actually say this. So, who knows. But I would think that if you manufacture your own, and make it a non AW from the beginning, that would fit even Healey's BS. On the other hand, if you built it as an AW and then took it to a gunsmith to pin the mag, that would be modifying it after manufacture. But then again, in MA it's not a firearm until you put the upper on, so if you brought the lower to a gunsmith and had them install a pinned mag, then you manufacture the firearm, that would seem to be OK. The point I'm getting at is the Law and the Healey edic are a mess of confusion. So what you do is on you, if you can figure it all out, then do or don't do what you feel is correct. Or talk to a lawyer.

Welcome to the circus we call the M.G.L

And welcome to NES

And of course the requiset Go Green
Thanks, interesting information to dig deeper into. Thank you for the response. Sadly, I am decades into firearms, but only two years or so into AR's. How messed up is it that you can't get a clear answer based on Healy? Meanwhile, my friends in NH are building away and having a legal good time. I need to hit up my local FFL and get his thoughts. Thanks again.

Thanks, interesting information to dig deeper into. Thank you for the response. Sadly, I am decades into firearms, but only two years or so into AR's. How messed up is it that you can't get a clear answer based on Healy? Meanwhile, my friends in NH are building away and having a legal good time. I need to hit up my local FFL and get his thoughts. Thanks again.
I just picked up my first AR recently, along with some 30 round mags, all brand new...... NH sure is nice.
Follow your friends, escape from the PRM.

Read the wording of the Fed Law. I think that it does. Since there is no rifle/shotgun shooting ranges in Boston proper, the average person would be merely driving thru the City. Personally I wouldn't give that bylaw much consideration as a non-resident of Boston. There are other reasons for my position, but I only discuss those in my Mass Gun Law Seminar.
I try not to even drive through Boston, lol!!!!

I grew up in MA, moved to VT/NH, back in MA now.

When people argue intent behind 2A or AW possession, I remind them:

The Vermont Constitution of 1777, dating well before the Bill of Rights to a time when Vermont was an independent republic, guarantees certain freedoms and rights to the citizens: "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State – and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power." The Vermont Supreme Court established the right to carry firearms without a permit in its 1903 State v. Rosenthal decision

In essence, your right to keep and bear AW’s is a fundamental right that was deemed necessary beyond that even of any standing army. You as citizens have the right as much -if not more so- than any army.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom