• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Approved Gun Locks

The storage statute only covers guns, not magazines. Mags do not have to be locked up.

I've got room in my safe, so I store them in there, but it's not legally necessary.

Last edited:
Not a dumb question at all in this state.

I've not seen anything in the MGLs that would make me think that storage applies to magazines, but as we know the cops and DAs in this state don't necessarily base their concept of reality on what's actually in the MGLs.....

But... Since they are regulated, and the law is written such that POSSESSION w/out a valid LTC is not legal, it is best to restrict the access of them.

Just think of the headlines when a kid brings a 30rd 10/22 mag to middle school.

So what? It's still not tamper resistant. Hell, a screw-driver used to remove hinges on a door is also a tool and as you said yourself that wan't enough to pass the "tamper resistant" threshold. That's a lot more involved than snipping a zip-tie, wouldn't you agree?

If you have to use a tool for access, it is tamper resistant. A judge decided to rule on what he thought to be "tamper resistant ENOUGH" to meet HIS CRITERIA, but if you go by MGL, a zip tie should be enough. BTW, most gun locks are wafer locks and it takes all of maybe 15 sec with a couple of paper clips to open them (I used to be real good with this stuff years ago). The locks on most gun cases (the ones built-in) can be opened with a single paper clip . . . less difficult than cutting a good quality zip tie.

A MA-hole judge ruled that a wooden cabinet with a padlock wasn't secure ENOUGH since a perp unscrewed the hinge and opened the cabinet to steal a gun. So no matter what "it'll cost you" a pound of flesh and a small fortune to prove your innocence no matter what you do/use.

Len- It's worth noting that was in Jupin V Kask and that was not really a safe storage case, per se. That was a Civil case which basically dictated that "If your house has known nutjobs in it (her son or whoever it was, I forget) and you own guns a cabinet with unscrew-able hinges, that is negligent in light of the fact that you have nutbags living in your house." IIRC Kask was never charged with an actual unsafe storage charge because everyone knew that would never fly, so they took her to civil court over it.

Basically that fruitloop stole the gun and killed a Wesminster LEO with it....

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16469-patrolman-lawrence-michael-jupin

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but I think you'd have a hard time convincing a typical jury that a zip tie was a "a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device."

They are good enough for cops to use as handcuffs.

I have some zip ties you will NOT escape from. Stuff they are using is junk (all plastic).

The ones with a metal tab will rip thru your flesh before you'll rip it off and screwdrivers won't work either. Of course these cost more and are used in industry for serious one-time work.

I don't know for sure, but I think you'd have a hard time convincing a typical jury that a zip tie was a "a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device."

Those metal zip ties are a pain in the ass. They will shred a child's hand no problem and he'll put that gun back faster than you'd think. [smile]

Sure but they use them specifically because they're NOT tamper resistant. As soon as I walk out of a gun show I can cut the zip tie off with whatever sharp object I happen to have handy.

Couldn't you also just turn the key and open a lock too? Most trigger locks can be opened easily without damaging the lock. I used a filet knife to open the masterlock trigger locks on some of my guns a couple times. I believe any lock supplied by a manufacturer with a new gun is accepted by the state. Some of those are pretty pathetic. The lock I got with my kel-tek is a dollar store quality padlock with an aluminum tube to put behind the trigger.

Len- It's worth noting that was in Jupin V Kask and that was not really a safe storage case, per se.

-Mike

Wasn't there a fairly recent case in which the SJC ruled that a gun in a soft locked case in side a plastic cooler was sufficient to qualify as locked? I can't remember the details, but I'm sure someone will.

Back
Top Bottom