MA Application Q: Reason for requesting LTC?

On page 3 of the MA LTC Application it asks, "Reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license:"

This question is on the application to address the following requirement in Massachusetts Law (MGL Ch 140, Sect 131(d)) emphasis added:

...licensing authority or said colonel may issue [license to carry firearms] if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only...

Answering this question with the simple phrase "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" has historically been a popular answer. While some towns may issue an unrestricted LTC regardless of your answer, other towns--including some 2A friendly towns--will want you to state a specific reason for your request in accordance with the law quoted above. Note that they're not asking you what you want, but the reason you want it.

So what should you write? First, you need to answer this truthfully--this is not a creative writing challenge. In general, it's best to keep your answer short. This is not the place to rant or cite constitutional law.

If you can legitimately cite a specific "reason to fear injury" then that could be your best justification. But for the average applicant a general reason is probably more common.

In BATTY V. ALBERTELLI, the applicants stated their reasons were for “personal protection and defense" and "to protect themselves and their families." While this case is still being litigated, this answer seems to be a reasonable "other reason."

Turning this into a complete sentence and adding a little more detail (credit to mlaboss) a reasonable answer might be "I request a license with no restrictions for personal protection of myself and my family both within and outside the home."

Understand that certain towns have refused to issue unrestricted licenses to the average (non-prohibited) applicant, regardless of what you put on your application. In this case you should seriously consider contacting a lawyer, GOAL, and COMM2A. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Mods: can we sticky this so we can refer folks to this thread--it's a common question.

thanks!

Last edited:
Right after the part you highlighted bold red is the phrase "or for any other reason". There is no need for LTC applicants to demonstrate reason to fear injury.

Given that, if I had to provide a specific reason on my application, I would write "For personal protection both within and outside the home, and for sporting and target practice." That fits the "any other reason" criteria, and the "outside the home" portion makes it clear that only an unrestricted LTC will satisfy my given reasons.

that's true. you can simply state you want it for target shooting and then the licensing authority may restrict you for TARGET SHOOTING ONLY,

However, if you want an UNRESTRICTED license some licensing authorities want you to list your reason for carrying outside the home, range, or hunting. Your answer of "For personal protection both within and outside the home" would seem to meet this requirement--I'm assuming you're protecting yourself from bodily harm and not just verbal insults!

to be clear, I wasn't implying anyone should answer they "fear injury". While that's what the law states, it would seem somewhat alarming to word it like that.

The "reason to fear injury" bit is referring a specific reason why you in particular need to carry a firearm - e.g. an abusive ex-spouse or the fact that you carry large quantities of cash on a regular basis. My "for personal protection" reason doesn't satisfy that criterion as I have not articulated a specific need other than a general desire for personal protection. Instead, it fits into the "any other reason" bucket, and for most of applicants in MA this is good enough. In cities and towns with power-tripping chiefs of police (e.g. Lowell), they want something more specific than what I've listed in order to issue an unrestricted LTC, and in that case unless you can provide a specific reason "for personal protection" won't get you an unrestricted LTC.

Last edited:
well, my old license said on it reason for issue was "all lawful purposes". Why not use that? Too generic?

I was requested to put " all lawful purposes including but not limited to sporting, hunting, personal protection." Or the above list , " and all other lawful purposes."

The "reason to fear injury" bit is referring a specific reason why you in particular need to carry a firearm - e.g. an abusive ex-spouse or the fact that you carry large quantities of cash on a regular basis. My "for personal protection" reason doesn't satisfy that criterion as I have not articulated a specific need other than a general desire for personal protection. Instead, it fits into the "any other reason" bucket, and for most of applicants in MA this is good enough. In cities and towns with power-tripping chiefs of police (e.g. Lowell), they want something more specific than what I've listed in order to issue an unrestricted LTC, and in that case unless you can provide a specific reason "for personal protection" won't get you an unrestricted LTC.

I did some more research and understand your reasoning. I'm changing my original post to better reflect this understanding. Thanks for the comments. For issues like this a wiki format would be so much better.

And we thought the new laws would make it easier to get an unrestricted license. WTF happened???

The CoPs who are requiring this BS are retaliating for the reduction of control over your LTC that they suffered. If you have no disqualifiers, you should be unrestricted.

mlaboss; Given that said:
It may or may not satisfy the licensing authority in your town. I wrote in my letter almost exactly what you have stated. I was told that my reasons weren't specific enough and in his opinion, "My life was in no greater danger than that of the average person. Therefore your application to have your restrictions removed has been denied". I had to wait until renewal to get my restrictions lifted because of "philososphical differences", his words, not mine, between he and I on who should have the right or need to carry concealed. What Comm 2A is doing with Davis vs. Grimes, the citizens of Lowell have done this week, and the new laws on the books, it will be interesting to see what the COP's requirements and are now.

Last edited:
It may or may not satisfy the licensing authority in your town. I wrote in my letter almost exactly what you have stated. I was told that my reasons weren't specific enough and in his opinion, "My life was in no greater danger than that of the average person. Therefore your application to have your restrictions removed has been denied". I had to wait until renewal to get my restrictions lifted. With the new laws on the books, it will be interesting to see what the COP's requirements are now.

That is exactly why this should be at the state level. To many variations from town to town in the eligibility.....should all be the same and not left to each chief's discretion as to how many hoops one has to jump through to get a license.

I would avoid including "for sporting and target practice" in your request or you might get the sporting/target restriction ... or it may happen anyway, who knows what mood the chief is in that day

Back
Top Bottom