(MA) Ammo Storage Laws

I keep the empty cases in 5 gallon buckets, have a bucket each of 30.06 and .38 special. My reloading room has a few cases scattered on the floor I confess.

wonder if spent primers that fall on the floor after decapping are ammo as well, after all a component is still a component

MGL does dictate the amount allowed to be stored, which is like 10k rnd per caliber, and a certain about of reloading supplies.
I don't believe the limits are to be found in the MGL's. Those limits are only found in 527 CMR 13 (Board of Fire Prevention Regulations).

Which brings up another point.

I was told in another thread that the big danger of having more than the "no permit" limits of 527 CMR 13.04 (1) (a), (b), (c) and (d) without a town fire permit in hand was that your homeowners insurance company might not pay out in the event of a fire burning down your house. In other words, violate 527 CMR 13.04 (1) and you could lose everything.

But now I'm being told that I can essentially ignore the "original containers" provisions of 527 CMR 13.04 (1)(e) and that I would still be okay.

How can that be?

The "in it's original package" law has got to be one of the most uncared about gun laws in this state. I just make sure to keep it all locked up and I don't worry about it. Most of the ammo I have is still in it's original package anyhow.

Why are people worrying about this at all? When was the last time you had someone inspect your ammo?

Willing to bet if you ever shot someone in self defense at your house the cops would want to see your storage. Bet they'd get a warrant to do so pretty easily too.

Why are people worrying about this at all? When was the last time you had someone inspect your ammo?

Most people don't know, and don't care about this CMR. Hell half the fire departments don't know about it because most people don't bother to obtain a permit. The world hasnt stopped spinning as a result. [laugh]

-Mike

drgrant
I agree, in my town I was permit number 1! they also didn't know that much about it and when I was told it was $10 I asked for how long, they said for life. They also said they had to check with the COP and when he was told I what I was asking had a fit and was amazed when he was told people can have 10,000 rounds without a permit - low information?

Willing to bet if you ever shot someone in self defense at your house the cops would want to see your storage. Bet they'd get a warrant to do so pretty easily too.
Sure would suck if cop-A opens a box of ammo for inspection, pulls a round out, walks away, then cop B comes over and sees the round out of it's box and busts you. Wait, it's MA, cop-A will just dump it out, photograph it and arrest you. PS, your dog's dead, too.

Lowell is asking for $40/year for the permit. They are referring me to CMR 527 13.11 which would limit the primer count to 5000 and not 10000 stated in 527.13.04.

Ive asked them to read 13.04 and get back to me, they all answered all of my questions regarding the permit process but not the primer limit.

Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants, and Black Powder
(1) Basic Requirements.
(a) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition,
primers and components, smokeless propellants and black powder.
(b) In addition to all other applicable requirements of 527 CMR 13.00, intrastate transportation
of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder
shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.
(c) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the channels of distribution of and to the users of small
arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder.
(d) 527 CMR 13.11 shall not apply to in-process storage and interplant transportation during
manufacture.
(2) Small Arms Ammunition.
(a) No restrictions shall be imposed on the interstate transportation of small arms ammunition
other than those imposed by the U.S. Department of Transportation or by other
hazardous materials regulations.
(b) Quantity limitations may be imposed by the head of the local fire department on the
storage of small arms ammunition in warehouses, retail stores, and other occupancies by the
limitations of the storage facility and by 527 CMR 13.00.
(c) Small arms ammunition shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department
of Transportation as flammable or combustible liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing
materials by a distance of 15 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one
hour.
(d) Small arms ammunition shall not be stored together with explosives unless the storage
facility is suitable for the storage of explosives.
(e) Small arms ammunition that has been exposed to fire or damaged by exposure to water
shall not be returned to commercial channels for reasons of consumer safety. The
manufacturer shall be contacted to obtain recommendations for disposal of damaged
ammunition.
(3) Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(a) Small arms ammunition primers shall be transported, kept, or stored in containers
approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
(b) Transportation of small arms ammunition primers shall comply with U.S. Department
of Transportation Regulations.
(c) No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in a private
vehicle.
(d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences.
(e) No more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be placed on display

I spoke with the Lt. at my fire department for information on procuring a storage permit and was blown away. I felt as though I was being interrogated and heard statements like, "I don't know why anyone would need to have more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in their house", "why would you possibly need more than 1000 primers? there is no way that someone would ever need as much as 48lbs of smokeless powder?", "a residence is somewhere to live, not make ammunition", "you need to come down here and convince us as to why you need this permit."

I was told in no uncertain terms that they will not issue the permit for the maximum allowable quantities and are only willing to permit as little as possible. Now I must prepare a list of the components I intend to have and make an appointment to convince them why I should have this permit. There are presently no other permits issued in my town.

I was told in no uncertain terms that they will not issue the permit for the maximum allowable quantities and are only willing to permit as little as possible. Now I must prepare a list of the components I intend to have and make an appointment to convince them why I should have this permit. There are presently no other permits issued in my town.

or just... you know... don't.

Lowell is asking for $40/year for the permit. They are referring me to CMR 527 13.11 which would limit the primer count to 5000 and not 10000 stated in 527.13.04. Ive asked them to read 13.04 and get back to me, they all answered all of my questions regarding the permit process but not the primer limit. Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants, and Black Powder (1) Basic Requirements. (a) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and components, smokeless propellants and black powder. (b) In addition to all other applicable requirements of 527 CMR 13.00, intrastate transportation of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (c) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the channels of distribution of and to the users of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder. (d) 527 CMR 13.11 shall not apply to in-process storage and interplant transportation during manufacture. (2) Small Arms Ammunition. (a) No restrictions shall be imposed on the interstate transportation of small arms ammunition other than those imposed by the U.S. Department of Transportation or by other hazardous materials regulations. (b) Quantity limitations may be imposed by the head of the local fire department on the storage of small arms ammunition in warehouses, retail stores, and other occupancies by the limitations of the storage facility and by 527 CMR 13.00. (c) Small arms ammunition shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable or combustible liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 15 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one hour. (d) Small arms ammunition shall not be stored together with explosives unless the storage facility is suitable for the storage of explosives. (e) Small arms ammunition that has been exposed to fire or damaged by exposure to water shall not be returned to commercial channels for reasons of consumer safety. The manufacturer shall be contacted to obtain recommendations for disposal of damaged ammunition. (3) Small Arms Ammunition Primers. (a) Small arms ammunition primers shall be transported, kept, or stored in containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation. (b) Transportation of small arms ammunition primers shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations. (c) No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in a private vehicle. (d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences. (e) No more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be placed on display

40 a year? Wtf.. I have to move!

I like putting my ammo in magazines and I'm pretty sure that's not the original packaging. Call me crazy but I thought that's what you were suppose to do. Oooopps

I spoke with the Lt. at my fire department for information on procuring a storage permit and was blown away. I felt as though I was being interrogated and heard statements like, "I don't know why anyone would need to have more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in their house", "why would you possibly need more than 1000 primers? there is no way that someone would ever need as much as 48lbs of smokeless powder?", "a residence is somewhere to live, not make ammunition", "you need to come down here and convince us as to why you need this permit."

This kind of BS is exactly what I don't need. But am I shocked by the reception you got? Not in the least. 351 different towns with 351 different sets of rules... and almost no way to know in advance what to expect.

So, to follow up on my encounter with the fire dept., I have to report that my meeting with the chief and inspector went very well. The inspector was the one with whom I first spoke who interrogated me and gave me a bad feeling. As it turns out, he was just very afraid based on many assumptions he made about me, where I may have lived, my purpose, etc. I sent them the SAAMI video, Sporting Ammunition and the Firefighter, prior to our meeting and they said they watched it. After finding out that I live in a single family home with no close neighbors, I have no intention of selling reloaded ammunition from my home and I intend to store and use all components safely, my permit for maximum allowable limits was issued ($25 for 1 yr.). The inspector even admitted that I know more about this stuff than they do.
I feel very special being ammo storage permit #1 in my town.

So, to follow up on my encounter with the fire dept., I have to report that my meeting with the chief and inspector went very well. The inspector was the one with whom I first spoke who interrogated me and gave me a bad feeling. As it turns out, he was just very afraid based on many assumptions he made about me, where I may have lived, my purpose, etc. I sent them the SAAMI video, Sporting Ammunition and the Firefighter, prior to our meeting and they said they watched it. After finding out that I live in a single family home with no close neighbors, I have no intention of selling reloaded ammunition from my home and I intend to store and use all components safely, my permit for maximum allowable limits was issued ($25 for 1 yr.). The inspector even admitted that I know more about this stuff than they do.
I feel very special being ammo storage permit #1 in my town.
The less said the better, I follow those words.

Back
Top Bottom