• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(MA) Ammo Storage Laws

As required by MA law (Kevlar help me here), all ammunition needs to be stored in its "original packaging". So my question is, for those that "reload", are there separate laws that apply, considering no such packaging exists?

"Is there a separate law..." would seem to imply that you believe someone, ANYONE thought this stuff through before it was signed into law. That's a LOT of faith to have in this state.

I've never heard of this mystery law. Pretty sure a lot of people store ammo in ready to go magazines and for longer term storage ; ammo cans. Did a gun store clerk tell you about this "law"? [rofl]

Citation Please......

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/cmr-secured/527013.pdf

Bottom of page 8:

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

The simple answer to keeping a loaded magazine is that the ammo is no longer in storage, it's in use. I don't know the answer to the OP's question though.

I've never heard of this mystery law. Pretty sure a lot of people store ammo in ready to go magazines and for longer term storage ; ammo cans. Did a gun store clerk tell you about this "law"? [rofl]
My experience is that most FFL's only really know 90% of gun laws, and of said laws they only understand about 80% of the actual content. Every time I bring up 922r or NFA stuff in conversion I'm always told something I say is wrong, and if I have the sheets handy I point to the particular line of the lay and say "it's right here...". The arrogance is what gets me, instead of "wow, you're right, thanks" it's aways.... "well that's just what I hear from people who've been around longer than ____ " or something equally as ignorant. I also hear, "when in doubt, call your local police dept" Newsflash, they don't know either! In fact, I got more bad recommendations from various MA PD than I got from the average mall ninja internet poster. Sometimes the MFG'ers themselves don't know or break laws. HK clones? It's happened before, anyone familiar with the GSG recalls for alleged suppressor issues? (granted the average public opinion is that was an over-reach by the ATF).

As for the actual issue at hand, it's pretty easy to google MGL and look for ammo storage. I'll bet a box of 22LR that ammo does not need to be stored in it's original package.

IANAL. However, the most likely source for this notion would be the fire regulations regarding storage of ammo found in the CMR:
(Note part (e)).

CMR 527 13.04 http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/527cmr13.pdf
13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates
(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L.
c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall
be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or
other structure:
(a) Small Arms Ammunition
1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.
3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers
1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.
(c) Smokeless Propellants
1. Not more than 16 pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family
dwelling or a building of public access.
(d) Black Powder
1. Not more than two pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black
powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked
cabinet, closet or box when not in use.
(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight
of explosives.

My experience is that most FFL's only really know 90% of gun laws, and of said laws they only understand about 80% of the actual content.

Well then they know and understand more of the law than most police officers and politicians, and lawyers who don't specialize in firearms law.

If you have the popo in your house going through your "arsenal and ammo dump" asking for your "original packaging" you broke some much bigger laws that warrant you to to remain silent. I will never understand this f$&ked up state. OP, why do you worry?

If you have the popo in your house going through your "arsenal and ammo dump" asking for your "original packaging" you broke some much bigger laws that warrant you to to remain silent. I will never understand this f$&ked up state. OP, why do you worry?
I was operating under the assumption this was merely a mental exercise, and the OP isn't actually worried about getting jammed up for not knowing what constitutes an "original container"

As required by MA law (Kevlar help me here), all ammunition needs to be stored in its "original packaging". So my question is, for those that "reload", are there separate laws that apply, considering no such packaging exists?

Technically it's a fire regulation, which I understand is only enforceable by the Fire Marshal, so I don't worry too much about it.

CMR 527 Section 13.04

+1

Since they consider each individual component a piece of ammunition most reloaders are over the quantity limit anyways.

Incorrect.

For the purposes of 527 CMR 13.00, "ammunition" is defined as...

Ammunition, small-arms, any cartridge or shell for use in a pistol, rifle or shotgun, and shall include ball, shot or blank cartridges or shells.

As for the actual issue at hand, it's pretty easy to google MGL and look for ammo storage. I'll bet a box of 22LR that ammo does not need to be stored in it's original package.

I'll take that bet. See the post below yours or this link... http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/cmr-secured/527013.pdf

You loose. PM me for my address to ship the ammo to.

- - - Updated - - -

I have purchased bulk Ziploc-bagged ammo at a gun shop in MA.

Were they reloads?

I was operating under the assumption this was merely a mental exercise, and the OP isn't actually worried about getting jammed up for not knowing what constitutes an "original container"

I happen to be interested in firearm laws. I knew from previous discussion (and with Kevlar's assistance) that the "law" requires (regardless whether you think the law is tedious or hideous) ammo to be "stored" in its "original packaging". So I was intellectually curious as to how this may effect reloading (or not).

Last edited:
I happen to be interested in firearm laws. I knew from previous discussion (and with Kevlar's assistance) that the "law" requires (regardless whether you think the law is tedious or hideous) ammo to be "stored" in its "original packaging". So I was intellectually curious as to how this may effect reloading (or not).

it wouldnt apply as there is no "original package". The law does state that reloading components must also be stored in their original containers (reading the posts above)

I know that the plastic ammo boxes sold for this purpose (MTM comes to mind) are perfectly acceptable. TTBOMK no case has ever been made wrt reloads and what is appropriately "original packaging".

No. It is enforceable by any officer empowered to enforce the criminal laws of the state.

Maybe so, but police usually don't tread on fire code turf.

I think as long as you don't have loose cartridges rolling around on the table or draws you should be good to go. The ammo storage rules are mostly fire code related. You can have it in a plastic food tupperware for all they care. MGL does dictate the amount allowed to be stored, which is like 10k rnd per caliber, and a certain about of reloading supplies.

Hmm, sounds like they may have just been splitting up 1000 rd packs. Normally when I run across bagged ammo at a shop they are reloads.

That is exactly what they did. So everyone could get some when quantities were super limited a few months back. From the horses mouth.

Technically it's a fire regulation, which I understand is only enforceable by the Fire Marshal, so I don't worry too much about it.

+1

Incorrect.

For the purposes of 527 CMR 13.00, "ammunition" is defined as...
Ok so a assembled cartridge or a empty shell is considered ammunition. Again how many re-loaders do you think are not over the limit with just empty shells alone? Not many.

Back
Top Bottom