• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M855 ammo

I dont know why people expect anything “good” from M855 being a 3 pc bullet crammed together as fast as they can make.
If its nato stamped brass it most likely was rejected for something other than any safety concerns.
Velocity deviations, to many “crooked” bullets, sealant failure and such.
M193 and M855 should be hits on torso size target expectations.
Its all good. Just keep expectations a tad low when buying bulk ammo.
Which was what I was going for, and while I need to tighten things up for sure at 200 yards those were all hits.

Nope but hand me any common service rifle with a proper sling on it from the late 1890's to now, and some decent ammo and a 6" round white plate anywhere from 100-400yds I will stand there all day off hand and slap that target around without much effort. Let me go prone off of a sand bag and I will wear the paint off of it in short order. Bump it up to a full size IDPA target at 600yds so I can see it better and I'm good. I literally grew up doing just that, I was expected to, my father was an expert marksman in the coast guard and air force reserve, and he ran a pretty successfull kitchen table ffl all throught the 80's and 90's, mostly flipping surplus rifles, and I fully reaped the benefits of it. To put it in perspective I didn't own a rifle or shotgun with a scope or any type of optic on it until about 2007, first AR I ever shot that didn't have a carry handle was probably in 2010. That is also why I will always tell anyone that their practice and training matters a hell of a lot more than their equipment. Anyone that tells me you need a bull barrelled precision rifle, worked up handloads, and a 10-16x scope to shoot 1 moa at 100yds needs to ditch the high magnification scopes and bullshit for a year or two, pick up a decent service rifle, a stack of ammo, and spend some serious time learning some real fundamentals and, most importantly, losing their flinch.
This you

.....................I want to see you nail the 6” pie plate at 400 yards offhand................
i just want to see a 6'' pie plate at 400 yards

result. not a great group, but not a bad one neither.
View attachment 551941
Nice , happens sometimes.
You can get ok groups with it but dont expect it lot to lot.
If I remember correctly ready the mil spec M855 was 3.15 moa using a average median . What I dont know is how many different groups did the test to get that median#

My dad always said median averages where used to widen the acceptance specs on anything.

Last edited:
Nice , happens sometimes.
You can get ok groups with it but dont expect it lot to lot.
If I remember correctly ready the mil spec M855 was 3.15 moa using a average median . What I dont know is how many different groups did the test to get that median#

My dad always said median averages where used to widen the acceptance specs on anything.
If I would shoot it from tavor it would be probably around 3moa

If I would shoot it from tavor it would be probably around 3moa
probably but when people buy M855 and wonder why they get 3-5 moa they should not be shocked surprised or unhappy
If the militiary is using Median to get specs you can have
10 groups ranging from 1” to 10” as long as the median comes in at 3ish moa its good to go

Whats fun about M855 is getting 8 shots in the 10 ring and 2 find there way to opposite corners of the 7 or 5 ring!

Want to have some more fun put 10 rounds of M855 over a crony or any bulk ammo
M855 made by the lowest bidder…who hoo
Oh I do have a good amount of it
And M193 and what ever the MK blackhills stuff is called

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom