• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M4 abuse

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
http://www.kimdutoit.com/ee/index.php/rant/single/heros_reward/

If you read Michael Yon's site about the fighting in Iraq, you know that LTC Kurilla was hit. Here's some commentary on that from Kim duToit's blog...

=========================

We approached in the Strykers and I heard Kurilla say on the radio, “Shots fired!” as he ducked for a moment then popped back up in the hatch. Kurilla continued, “Trail section clear the car and clear south to north! I’m going to block the back door on the north side!"

Okay, now that my heart has stopped racing, I can let you all follow the link to Michael Yon’s site and read the circumstances under which Col. Erik Kurilla was shot while leading the 1/24 in Mosul.

Read the whole thing—and then come back here and read what follows.

Anyone get this part?

Mark Bieger was overwatching from another Stryker and shot the man with the first two bullets, dropping him to his knees.
Chris Espindola also shot the man. Amazingly, despite being hit by four M4’s from multiple directions, the man still lived a few minutes.
Prosser shot the man at least four times with his M4 rifle. But the American M4 rifles are weak--after Prosser landed three nearly point blank shots in the man’s abdomen, splattering a testicle with a fourth, the man just staggered back, regrouped and tried to shoot Prosser.

And all you guys who still think that the .223/5.56mm cartridge is a decent battle cartridge can kiss my hairy African-American ass.

That does it: we’re going to buy Col. Erik Kurilla a 1911 in .45 f***ing ACP so he NEVER has to worry about knockdown power, ever again.

I get to make the call on this one, and as far as I’m concerned, there is only one choice: the Kimber Desert Warrior, which will cost about $1,500 retail (including the engraving).

===================================

They raised $1900 to buy this guy a Kimber. It'll be a while before he gets any range time, unfortunately, because when he was hit his femur was snapped cleanly in half.

Here's Michael Yon's site: http://www.michaelyon.blogspot.com/ Read it - it's fascinating stuff.

Ross

I anxiously await Michael Yon's dispatches from Mosul. Absolutely riveting.

Yeah, it sucks that the terrorist in question is still breathing US-air-conditioned air in the same hospital that Kurilla went to, especially since he was already captured/detained/released once before. While the .223 works great for head shots it's just too damn small for COM hits to really put a bad guy down.

I'd personally rather see LTC Kurilla get a nice Sig 220 and two of his buddies get the same rather than one uber-expensive pimp gun.

Actually it's almost certainly a problem of conflicting goals and a failure to fully understand the reason troops carry guns. As Stoner originally designed the M-16, the spin was very low for the bullet weight and velocity. As a result long range accuracy sucked, but the bullets pretty regularly tumbled on impact, producing a hell of a lot of tissue damage. This gave up all the high power competition properties that everybody loves today in return for knockdown power far in excess of the caliber and bullet weight. At some point, people who either never had or no longer did get down and dirty with people who shot back decided that the lack of long range precission was unacceptable, and increased the twist to stabilize the bullets. The result was beaucoups accuracy, with a loss of any effective stopping power. The M-4, even with the shorter barrel, is still probably way over-stabilized for its real purpose.

Ken

You pop 4 rounds of anything short of a .50 in someones gut and it is still not an instant kill. only place you are going to do that is in the spinal/head heart. Bigger holes will help thats for sure but if it isn't in a critical area the BG can still funtion. Ammo choice still needs to be adjusted to the enemy I agree.

The CSGM is a badass though. Hoohah!

Back
Top Bottom