• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M39 Rifles

K98

Where could the recently featured M39 rifles come from? Are these surfacing from U.S. warehouses, or are they recent imports?

I have to dig for the name, but there was a person or family that owned the recently released collection of Finnish Mosins.

I was curious about these when I saw the listing claiming "we got 9 tractor loads" of these come in. Also, when looking closely, some of the shipping containers are marked "no antiques" with a date of around 2000.
The previous post has an interesting link regarding these. I think I'll pass. Nothing really special about them in my eyes.

As much as I would like a M39, Im not paying the 400+ some of these places want. Ill just have to stick to my 1896 Mosin.

The accusation of the prior owner cobbling guns together is what put me off. That adversely affects collector value and thus not worth paying a premium ($400) for them.

YMMV

I've got a VKT that i'll be putting in the classifieds shortly for what I have into it. I like the Sako a little better, and unlike M1 garands, i really don't need more than one. Both are war-time stocks. Neither one of them look like they were ham and egged together as that thread claims, but you can definitely tell they were banged around a little over the years (after they were done their service to Finland, that is).

given the current market...I don't really think the $350+shipping price tag was all that much to ask, given the quality of the M39 Mosin over other bolt action rifles. Granted, it's no K31, but still pretty awesome/accurate regardless!

I've got a VKT that i'll be putting in the classifieds shortly for what I have into it. I like the Sako a little better, and unlike M1 garands, i really don't need more than one. Both are war-time stocks. Neither one of them look like they were ham and egged together as that thread claims, but you can definitely tell they were banged around a little over the years (after they were done their service to Finland, that is).

given the current market...I don't really think the $350+shipping price tag was all that much to ask, given the quality of the M39 Mosin over other bolt action rifles. Granted, it's no K31, but still pretty awesome/accurate regardless!

You can still get K31s cheaper than most M39s if you look.

I have both a VKT and a Sako, selling the Sako. They don't appear to be cobbled together and are correct for what they are. The VKT stock is original wartime and looks really beat, maybe I'd say it's fugly but the rifle is a tack driver and that's all I care about. Sako much better looking with an arsenal rebuild square finger groove stock.

I think of the M39's as semi-collectable shooters, as opposed to most Russian Mosins that are commodity plinkers. If the numbers match, stock is correct, and the trigger is butter smooth; I think any worries over collector issues for the typical VKT's and Sakos are pointless unless the rifle is something really special. We're not talking all original Garand territory here, LOL.

You can still get K31s cheaper than most M39s if you look.

Exactly my point, and a better rifle IMHO! Maybe not battle tested, but still an amazing piece and accurate as all hell. I still haven't started reloading for it yet, but I have big plans and all the components lined up!

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I'm figuring out lately there's not much of a reason for me to have as many mosins as I do.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad when I bought my K31, I ordered a case of ammo for it. It rarely goes to the range though.

Same here...but I'm saving my GP11 for a rainy day...I'll be reloading in the meantime for that and my K11…and my 1889!

Exactly my point, and a better rifle IMHO! Maybe not battle tested, but still an amazing piece and accurate as all hell. I still haven't started reloading for it yet, but I have big plans and all the components lined up!

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I'm figuring out lately there's not much of a reason for me to have as many mosins as I do.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here...but I'm saving my GP11 for a rainy day...I'll be reloading in the meantime for that and my K11…and my 1889!

After shooting a few hundred rounds through my K31 and giving the design a good look over. I think it would have proven itself in battle great gun. I still think its one of the best deals right now in mil surp bolt actions. when I started looking at buying one they where 150$ I paid 389 for mine a few years later! I bought a case of GP11 ammo and also tooled up to reload. PPU makes the swiss ammo and its pretty darn good...although if you picked up the GP11 for less than 60 cents per round that's some great stuff.

I finally decided to pick up a vkt it will be my first Mosin hasn't arrived yet but can't wait till that first range trip

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I grabbed one from the first truckload, a VKT for $350. Considering that 91/30s are now going for over $200, it seemed like a decent deal. I got a nice rifle that shoots very well.

The constant 'we found another truckload' got annoying though. At first they were selling out in minutes, now they seem to be having trouble getting rid of the rest of them.

I grabbed one from the first truckload, a VKT for $350. Considering that 91/30s are now going for over $200, it seemed like a decent deal. I got a nice rifle that shoots very well.

The constant 'we found another truckload' got annoying though. At first they were selling out in minutes, now they seem to be having trouble getting rid of the rest of them.

I got one in the first load as well. Seems to be a common theme with C&R dealers. "OMG HURRY!!! ONCE THESE ARE GONE YOU'LL NEVER EVER SEE ANOTHER ONE EVER!!", followed a few months later by "FOUND MORE HIDDEN AWAY BUT THIS IS IT WE SWEAR!!"

"This is the line of death, no this, this here is the line of death. No, no, no, this, this is the line of death". Paraphrasing from Sadam. [wink]

I think the lure of cheap mosins and cheap ammo has died. Now that surplus ammo is not much cheaper than new stuff I think the folks who bought the inexpensive rifle and ammo are not going to buy more expensive variants.

The first batch sold out I think because those who have wanted a Finn have not been finding them and most likely said the next batch will be even more money.

How can you have to many ????

a2e6d05e1_zps301a37d0.jpg

............MJ...............

10583840_10205279482522776_111861135040227286_n_zpsqifqzwyf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom