• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A Scout

congrats OP. my 0-400 yard .308 setup is an M1A scout w a Leupold FX-II 2.5x scout scope.

if you're looking for some absolutely incredible glass consider the Leupold 2.5x scout. At only 28mm it can mount with Leupold aluminum low rings it will sit super low to the bore. while it's only a 2.5x, the glass quality is excellent so reaching to 300 yards is easy. the eyebox on this scope is generous. one can hold the rifle sideways with both eyes open and still have easy view. many people run higher mag scout scopes such as the Burris 2-7x but this defeats the whole purpose of a scout scope, which is quick acquisition with both eyes open. The Leupold is ~$300 and i couldn't be happier with mine.

if you're really looking for accuracy then the scout scope is not the way. but then again the Scout M1A is not the most accurate rifle. the best groups i've acquired so far are ~1.5-2 MOA with 168gr BTHP's. these rifles are excellent mid range .308 setups but wouldn't even bother trying to set it up for long range.

yay! i'm building one! just curious, what are the new ones going for? turns out building them is VERY expensive!

that depends on who and what you buy. I have seen the base SAI scout for 1299 but seems to average 1500?
Building often is "more" expensive. The key to building is getting deals on good quality parts.
You could build a clone of a fulton peerless for less than 3500$ if you can do the work yourself.
although you need to keep the cost of tools out of the equation.

building has its great points and thats the control of what you put into them

Last edited:
A used never fired seal com came in the shop. The one the teller scoping stock it so nice.

I shot the SOCOM 16" model and found the blast/noise to be irritating. those 2 inches of barrel going up to the scout model make a big difference in blast/noise. i shot my 18" scout model during dusk ~2 weeks ago and the muzzle flash was pretty gnarly. i can only imagine what it would be like from the 16" SOCOM. also the muzzle velocity on the 16" barrel starts to suffer. compared to the 22" full size it takes quite a hit.

and despite all the disadvantages of the SOCOM-16, it's still heavy as hell. IMO the loaded models or scout are the way to go.

Need to buy a non flash hider/brake thingy.
I know I have seen them.

16" barrels are load to begin with. Having a brake that directs the gases up/side/back just makes it that much worse.

I hated shooting my 16" AR with the brake that was on it. Obnoxious enough for me to sell the entire upper!

Back
Top Bottom