• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A Rifle Build

Guys,

wanted some opinion's/help. Year ago i took on the project of building an AR-15 and was an awesome accomplishment completing something on my own. Never been handy with things. With the recent talk of assault weapons bans being talked about I've really been looking into buying an M1A. Problem Is i can't afford one right now. We are talking around $1,500 from what i've seen at shops like Four Season. Was thinking is it possible to build one. Could I buy a lower now, register the serial with the state and down the road lets say 6 months put some more money into it and build it out.

My concern is lets say an assault weapons ban does go into affect. Great i have what i need registered. But now would manufactures stop making the parts. Or would it even be harder to find? I know its a little hard to ask people to look into a crystal ball to see what the future holds.

Was hoping some feed back or opinions on what i should do.

Thanks

Building an M14/M1A is nothing like building an AR. For the most part, an AR is like a lego set, just put together all the pieces. Building an M14/M1A is a job for a competent gun smith. While I don't own an M14/M1A, I have read a lot about them. Commercial M14/M1A receivers aren't dimensionally uniform like a USGI receiver, therefore some parts require hand fitting, and some receivers won't accept certain USGI parts. Not a job for a novice. Right now is also the worst time to buy, because speculation of a new awb has caused pricing to go crazy.

If you have your heart set on an M14 style rifle, then a cheaper solution would be the rifle that the M14 is derived from: the M1 Garand. Genuine USGI M1 Garands can be purchased from the CMP for as little as $525. $625 gets you a Service Grade, which are usually in good condition.

There are many great resources for M14/M1A, including the CMP Forums. Whatever you buy, make sure you post lots of pics. Good Luck.

look into the CMP . they have m1a kits that only need receivers. You can get the receiver and barrel already head spaced from fulton armory. there are many threads on this at the cmp website.

just checked the fulton web site . They have really increased their prices from when I built mine. Good luck out there. I wish I had built two now. One would have paid for the other.

You might just want to consider buying a complete rifle? Maybe from fultom armoury all pimpernel out. With a 1.5 " moa guarenty on there service rifles model. Not cheap mind you.
you could build one. Cmp parts kit 600.00. Then 1k for reciever as posted above. Decent barrel 250+ bolt? Then assembled and final ream for head space$$$$ so building one unless very lucky finding parts cheap is not as easy as a ar.
Lrb makes a complete rifle also.
"
lrb reciever 1k

Smith Enterprises Bar Stock M-14 Semi-Auto receiver is $825 readily available.
however if barrel is not installed by them or their certified armorer they void their warranty as well as use of reloads.

LRB bare bones barreled action starts just under $1400
fully functional test-fired complete action minus wood starts at $2100

so yes, getting complete SA rifle from FS sounds like a great deal for the money

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind, and it may or may not matter to you is that SA recievers, op rods, etc are cast wheras LRB, Smith and Fulton are forged.

i believe smith uses hot rolled bar not forged.
LRB however do work with forgings.

cast or forged it really doesn't matter IMHO.
SA is a quality manufacturer and i'm sure their QA is strong enough not to let any cavity riddled receivers slip through.
i personally have not heard any stories where SA m1a receiver is fractured under normal use due to internal defect.
so to OP this shouldn't be a concern when price difference is so vast

Last edited:
Second building an M1A/M14 is nothing like an AR. It's not a "just buy the receiver" kind of gun.

Honestly, if you're seriously concerned it will be banned, and you want one --- get a credit card or put the thing on layaway. It's not a *good* idea to take on more debt now, but if you're convinced this is your one chance - it's the best way for you to get one at the moment I think.

(You could look at Norincos or Polytechs... but for there's every chance for twenty years you're going to look at that little "Made in China" scrawled on the side of the receiver in electropen and wish you'd just gotten what you wanted first time 'round. [Some argue there's better metallurgy in Polytechs - do your reading, make your choice] )

i believe smith uses hot rolled bar not forged.
LRB however do work with forgings.

cast or forged it really doesn't matter IMHO.
SA is a quality manufacturer and i'm sure their QA is strong enough not to let any cavity riddled receivers slip through.
i personally have not heard any stories where SA m1a receiver is fractured under normal use due to internal defect.
so to OP this shouldn't be a concern when price difference is so vast

I agree but some people really do get nuts over cast versus forged, I have wtnessed some heated debates [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom