• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A purchase.

As a smith and machinist. I can tell you that there's no reason for the M1A to cost more than $100 more than a Mini-14. The makers, distributors, wholesalers and FFL's just know that 308 fans are suckers, so they charge you twice as much. Why not just a used Savage 308 bolt action for hunting and a $500 AR15 in 223 for combat-survival? The 223 can be of a handy size and weight (with enough ammo) with a silencer mounted. The m1A cannot. The silencer makes all the difference in the world. So does subsonic .22 ammo in the Ciener .22lr conversion unit for the AR. It's $300, 3/4 lb, 10 second caliber swap, groups 2" or better at 50yds. About half of them need a bit of smithing to be reliable. Most need a shim under the extractor spring, due to empty cases not getting ejected clear of the gun now and then.

As a smith and machinist. I can tell you that there's no reason for the M1A to cost more than $100 more than a Mini-14. The makers, distributors, wholesalers and FFL's just know that 308 fans are suckers, so they charge you twice as much. Why not just a used $300 Savage 308 bolt action for hunting and a $500 AR15 in 223 for combat-survival? The 223 can be of a handy size and weight (with enough ammo) with a silencer mounted. The m1A cannot. The silencer makes all the difference in the world. So does subsonic .22 ammo in the Ciener .22lr conversion unit for the AR. It's $300, 3/4 lb, 10 second caliber swap, groups 2" or better at 50yds. About half of them need a bit of smithing to be reliable. Most need a shim under the extractor spring, due to empty cases not getting ejected clear of the gun now and then.

Maybe some people just like the M1 platform rifles...despite being ‘suckers’ :/

Why not just buy a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and be done with the whole thing for deer and survival and home protection...why? Because you wouldn’t use a sledge hammer on a brad nail. Different strokes, man.

Half my rifle collection are M1’s and M14’s...so I might not be the person to make an opinion on who’s not a sucker.

As a smith and machinist. I can tell you that there's no reason for the M1A to cost more than $100 more than a Mini-14. The makers, distributors, wholesalers and FFL's just know that 308 fans are suckers, so they charge you twice as much. Why not just a used Savage 308 bolt action for hunting and a $500 AR15 in 223 for combat-survival? The 223 can be of a handy size and weight (with enough ammo) with a silencer mounted. The m1A cannot. The silencer makes all the difference in the world. So does subsonic .22 ammo in the Ciener .22lr conversion unit for the AR. It's $300, 3/4 lb, 10 second caliber swap, groups 2" or better at 50yds. About half of them need a bit of smithing to be reliable. Most need a shim under the extractor spring, due to empty cases not getting ejected clear of the gun now and then.

Theres no reason why the mini 14 should be more than $500.
Now if your going to compare a mini 14 or 30 to a M1a I will take the M1a.
Theres a ton of different reasons why some one buys XYZ vs ABC. Im a long time "m14/M1a was just a solution to a non existing problem" and they just WOFU a garand .
Then the 2nd problem is that manufactures are not selling mini and M1a in large numbers to bring the price down.
Buy I do have a M1a that i shoot in cmp service rifle

The 22cal conversions are kinda a suckers item also.
$300 for 50 year old design that should not need any working to function but they are mass produced for a market who will just shrug off the malfunctions.
Now you can spend a bit more and buy a dedicated upper in 22lr that will shoot moa with good 22lr ammo.
Although if your just talking utility of a platform a 22lr conversion kit is ok if you just want one upper?

Last edited:
Maybe some people just like the M1 platform rifles...despite being ‘suckers’ :/

Why not just buy a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and be done with the whole thing for deer and survival and home protection...why? Because you wouldn’t use a sledge hammer on a brad nail. Different strokes, man.

Half my rifle collection are M1’s and M14’s...so I might not be the person to make an opinion on who’s not a sucker.
Theres also those that have a name for those ARs

How does someone determine what something should cost?
It's called capitalism. Things cost what the market will pay. That is what something should cost.
And if someone thinks they can sell it for less, go ahead. The buyers will decide if what you are selling is worth the price.

If you'd like to put your check from Donald to good use, how about a Bula forged receiver M14 ? (too bad it wasn't a $2k check)
this just came in:

"Good afternoon!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas & a Happy New Year! 😊

Below are some rifles that we now have in stock for immediate delivery.

19” RH PARATROOPER M14 W NM BARREL $2300.00

19.25” RH PARATROOPER M14 MOD GI BARREL $2250.00

22” TRADITIONAL M14 W MOD GI BARREL $2250.00

22” RH TRADITIONAL M14 W NM BARREL $2300.00

Call or email if you have any questions!

Julie VanOverberg

Sales

P: 216.218.2396

[email protected]

www.buladefense.com "

If you'd like to put your check from Donald to good use, how about a Bula forged receiver M14 ? (too bad it wasn't a $2k check)
this just came in:

"Good afternoon!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas & a Happy New Year! 😊

Below are some rifles that we now have in stock for immediate delivery.

19” RH PARATROOPER M14 W NM BARREL $2300.00

19.25” RH PARATROOPER M14 MOD GI BARREL $2250.00

22” TRADITIONAL M14 W MOD GI BARREL $2250.00

22” RH TRADITIONAL M14 W NM BARREL $2300.00

Call or email if you have any questions!

Julie VanOverberg

Sales

P: 216.218.2396

[email protected]

www.buladefense.com "

Good job posting that. Bula makes awesome stuff and those prices are very good for a forged receiver M1A / M14. Bula models have M14 on the heel stamp, so that's the correct name of their particular models.

A few years back I bought from Bula a barreled receiver and kit for everything else except the stock. Found a beautiful USGI stock on NES and built a real tack driver. This is by far my favorite build and it has worked flawlessly. If you are looking for one already built, Bula is an awesome choice.

Back
Top Bottom