• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A pros and cons

Hey all. I'd like to get your opinions on getting an M1A for highpower. This would be my first rifle. An AR is still an option, but I want to get your standalone thoughts on the M1A- pros, cons, etc.

Thanks all!

-ZA

Good gun. The only concern you should have is the amount of recoil. I have competed with both the M14 and the M16. The .308 will help you fight the wind at the 300 and 600. The M16 will be easier to shoot with the pistol grip and easier to keep a tight position in the rapid fires because of the low recoil.

Have you shot both? I guess the best choice you could make would be to shoot the course with both and see which one feels better for you. Hope this helps.

+1 What Derek said.

The M1A is a great rifle however it compared to an AR15 it's a lot more money in more ways than one. The initial investment for a match grade rifle is quite a bit more, it's more expensive in ammo, and more expensive to maintain. They can be a bit finnicky to get tuned just right.

Most new Highpower shooters will get the "most bang for the buck" going with an AR. You can get an great gun for a little over $1000, ammo is relatively cheap (compared to .308), and you will score higher initially due to low recoil and inherent accuracy of the gun.

That being said, I shot an M1A all last year and loved it! Did I even come close to my AR scores? No... that's not the point for me. I am interested in being an expert rifle shot with a variety of rifles - so I'm going to expand my skill sets accordingly. I think Highpower is a great test of your rifle ability because it is shot at several different range distances and several different positions. Good chance to "shoot the breeze" with others of a like mind, as well.

The thing you don't hear much is that the rifle purchase is just the tip of the iceburg. The cost of all the extra stuff you're going to want to "be competitive" will far outweigh the cost of the rifle!

KK

Jarhead said:
+1 What Derek said.

The M1A is a great rifle however it compared to an AR15 it's a lot more money in more ways than one. The initial investment for a match grade rifle is quite a bit more, it's more expensive in ammo, and more expensive to maintain. They can be a bit finnicky to get tuned just right.

+1 to all of this, especially the maintenance and finicky parts. As a lover of the M1/M14 platform, I take no pleasure in saying that the AR is the smart way to go when it comes to HP. That being said, I think somebody who starts out with a M14 usually learns how to build a solid position better, especially sitting. If you don't have a well-grounded position or a good NPA in sitting with a M14, forget it.

Guys:

I posted a few months ago that I had just picked up an M1A Super Match from a friend. Always wanted an M1A/M14 and it was the proverbial offer I could not refuse. I only started Highpower this summer and my AR was nothing special, so I figured this would become my main competetion gun.

I have been reading a lot on different forums about how the M1A's are very maintenance intensive. I need to pick up some books on this, but can any of you tell me what makes them such a bear to keep in top shape?

Thanks

Steve

Two problems that I had in the Marines with the M14 were maintaining a good gas tube, and not getting any cleaning solvent between the bolt and the synthetic stock. If you do the bolt will do what the armorers called "Hydroplane". Mine did it for about 4 days before I got fed up with the drifting groups and too it to the trailer. They had to tear it apart and dry it out. I had no idea and if it wasnt for them I would have just thought the rifle couldnt shoot. It was frustrating to say the least. I wanted to use it like a javelin. [wink]

Look for the M14 book by Scott Duff and John Miller. I think that will help in your questions. Miller has been a Guard Marksmanship Armorer for years. One thing to avoid is removing the barreled action from the bedded stock, you'll loosen the bedding prematurely. The carbon needs to be cleaned from the gas piston periodically, both inside and out.

Make sure to keep the gun upside down when cleaning (to keep the solvent out of the stock and gas cylinder).

Never lube an M14 or M1 with oil, use GREASE for lube, and then sparingly, and only in the proper places.

Scott Duff's books are good, also consider the Collector Grade book on the M14 as well. I suggest going to the Manual download area here and download the .pdf Tech Manuals on the M14. They have most of what you need to know.

And personally, I don't think they're a "bear" to keep in working order. They just have a couple of peculiarities, like other firearms, including the AR.

If they are used with any frequency (say 1000 rds or so per year), the bedding will have to be re-skimmed, maybe more often than that, depending if it's been out of the stock.

Cleaning requires more care as you are working from the muzzle end (carefull of that crown!).

Friggin' sights always need to be checked to make sure they haven't loosened.

If you want the last word on M14's, get "The U.S. .30 Cal. Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual" by Kuhnhausen. If you read and understand that, you will know all there is to know about M14's (and M1's, too!).

I had two problems with my m14 while in the Army.

One, I had a FTF and reached my thumb down into the receiver to straighten out the round in top of the mag and ended up with an m14 version of 'm1 thumb'. It was bloody.

Next when I first got the m14 in basic and we went to the range, the first firing went like this:

We lined up on the range and were told we would fire one round.

RO says ,over the loudspeaker: 'Ready on the left, ready on the right, the firing line is ready ! Fire ONE round !

I aim, pull the trigger and boom boom boom boom boom, 4 rounds downrange in about 1 second.

The DI comes over and chews my ass. I explain I only pulled the trigger once. He screams "one, ONE ROUND"

RO says ,over the loudspeaker: 'Ready on the left, ready on the right, the firing line is ready ! Fire ONE round !

I aim, pull the trigger and boom boom boom boom boom, 4 rounds downrange in about 1 second.

The DI comes over and chews my ass. I explain I only pulled the trigger once. He screams "I told you ONE ROUND". I explain the rifle is malfunctioning. What do I do? I've only got 20 rounds in the mag and they'll be gone after five shots. He says do the best you can.

The DI gives me a dirty look and we take a lunch break.

As we break, we stack all the rifles in a rack. While everyone is eating, I swap the trigger group from my gun with the one next to mine.

After lunch:

I pull the trigger, Boom !

At the other end of the firing line, I hear, boom boom boom boom boom !

I qualified expert, don't know about the other guy.
[oops] [roll]

Those are the only two problems I ever had with an M14, and I've had no trouble at all with my M1, even though I've only put about 1000 rounds thru it. I'd guess, being made in 1944, it's had a few through it.

Back
Top Bottom