• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A issues

hi!!

has anyone else had this problem with their M1A?

i was using hand-loaded ammo, second use brass. the M1A would do a lite strike on the primer, not enough to fire the round. the bolt was locked forward and it had to hit it against a wodden post to casue it to open

it also happened with factory ammo, but only once in 20 rounds or so.

any idea why the bolt is being locked closed and cannot be opened by hand?

thanks!!!

My guess is that the cases were not resized enough. That will lock up most semis.

How did you set up your reloading die? Did you screw it all the way down until it touched the shell holder?

B

Bent op rod?

You say it happened with factory ammo also? Thats very odd.

Did you guage your reloads to see if they are within chamber tolerances?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is happening with a variety of ammo (factory as well as you indicated) it could be an issue with the rifle. Still probably a good call to switch mags and shoot a bunch of high quality surplus through it. Otherwise, I'd send to SA and take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

The primer strike is normal, the firing pin floats in the bolt as there is no spring to restrain it, the inertia of the bolt closing will cause the pin to move forward slightly indenting the primer. As to your jamming problem is this a new rifle? a little more info might help.

thanks to all you you!!

i will make some new rounds using new brass and re-used brass from the same rifle to check it.

it really seems to have started after i gave it a good greasing, perhaps too much?
only happened once with new rounds, out of 20 fired.

Good idea, do a complete takedown and inspect everything carefully, something could be bent or otherwise out of spec.
Good luck!

This could be the case. Also, I'm wondering if you have a functional knowledge of the M1A. There's a few nuances, which if left unchecked, can impede the function of your rifle. I don't think, (unless you greased the chamber), that you really can put too much grease on your gun. Based on what little I know - here's a few things to check:

- Is your roller greased? To really get grease in there, you must use a roller greaser. One can me bought, or made, by trimming a pistol case, (9mm, 45ACP) to just above the rim. Put grease in, insert roller and press until you visibly see grease coming between the bolt and roller.

- Is your piston clean? Drill bits in the two dimensions of your piston will clean it out. They are available at your hardware store, or more conveniently from Sadlak

- Is your gas hole clean - adjustment screw in position?

- Is your piston dry? Some mistakenly over oil, or oil their piston at all. It's meant to be dry.

- Is your bolt face and chamber dry? While it's a good idea to grease your bolt, it's face and the chamber should be dry.

- Is your op rod bent? Look for wear marks on the outside of your barrel where it meets the receiver.

- Is your op rod spring guide bent? Remove guide and spring. Lay it on a table or other flat surface and inspect for bends.

- if you have a USGI barrel, (which many M1A's do), you may need to reevaluate your loads. try running some 147gr Nato 7.62x51 through it and see what happens. If your gun runs as it should, then your answer may lay on your reloading bench...

Good luck...

thank you!!

i do beleive i put some grease where it did not belong, the extracted cases did have some grease on them.
we had used oil before we were told to use grease for the roller-block rifles (Garand, Carbine, M1A)
it worked well with oil.

also, after firing a round, the rifle would cycle, feed a new round, the firing pin would only do a light hit, round would not fire, bolt would be locked forward
i've only been shooting a little over a year.....

my handloads for the M1a are 150gr Speer or Hornady, i use IMR3031 powder, don't remember how much (at work now, it is in my log book)

Back
Top Bottom