M1A- Hunting Questions (Deer gun)

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Hi NES Brain-trust.

Years ago I got an M1A Loaded for my dad. He is at an age where it's smart for him to put down the 7mm Rem Mag bolt gun.

Here are my questions:

1. What hunting loads (150gr would be plenty) are best for the M1A (run well, expand well, and group well)?

2. Where can I find some 4rd mags. I know most states you can run 5 rounders but the old man insists to get him 4 rounders so he can go anywhere?

Thanks in advance.[smile]

I use the Hornady Fusion 150g in my deer rifle and I like them a lot. The great thing about a 308 is if you can dream it you will probably find a round out there on the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might need to block a 5 round magazine to 4 rounds. I've never heard of an 'off the shelf' 4 round mag for the M14 platform.

I used a 5 round checkmate mag that works flawlessly. Could always install a spacer in the bottom of the mag that's the height of a .308 round. I've been loading up with 168gr OTM ammo because it's what I practice with and I'm confident with. Better to land a well placed shot than worry about grains and maximum expansion.

What do you primarily load it with?

I used a 5 round checkmate mag that works flawlessly. Could always install a spacer in the bottom of the mag that's the height of a .308 round. I've been loading up with 168gr OTM ammo because it's what I practice with and I'm confident with. Better to land a well placed shot than worry about grains and maximum expansion.

What do you primarily load it with?

Thanks - I think he usually runs Prvi surplus stuff. Either way he doesn't shoot it enough for that to come into play. I want to get him some good hunting loads and let him sight it in for that.

Question is; What state does he plan to hunt? New Hampshire only requires that you load no more than 5 rounds, no magazine block required. I haven't checked Maine or Vermont laws and regulations.

Thanks for the reply.

Vermont is 6 round mag. He usually hunts in VT. I think I'll just get him some 5 rounders and we can research and block if necessary if he goes somewhere funky.

The M1A mags can be disassembled and a plug put in. I used to do that for mine and was questioned in NH once by a Game Warden. If I recall correctly, I used a 1/2" x 2" x I forget the length of wood. Cut it a little long and when you can't load more than 3, trim a bit off.

I plugged my mag shooting on private property with my M1a. I simply used Remington soft points in it and they worked perfectly. I shot my first deer at 87 yards, iron sites and she dropped like a stone, thankfully, as we were up against the light.

Back
Top Bottom