• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M16 ownership in MA?

Before I get beat up from the group for asking something that may be ridiculous: I really want to purchase a full auto in MA. What are the chances I could find something AND get licensed to use it? I have everything from a snub nose to a Windham AR 556. I just want the opportunity to try out the variety of guns. Thank you.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

And be ready to spend around $15k+

well that sucks! I did some research and they are pretty pricy.

guess I never even checked because the odds of me ever owning one are slim and none..

Thank the Democrats for violating all house procedure and inserting the Hughes amendment to the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, closing the NFA registry to new machine gun registrations for civilians. That bill had nothing that we couldn't have gotten otherwise on another day or split into several other bills. Thank the NRA for encouraging Reagan to sign it. This is exactly the problem I have with any gun owner proposing "compromise" with trading a ban on private sales (Universal Backgroind Checks). It is easy to take something away, nigh impossible to get it back.

Also, DIAS == Drop In Auto Sear

1st off you need to have your FFL 03 license to start. It's part of the MA requirement.
Then talk to your issuing officer/chief make sure they will submit your application.
Then consider if you get denied you need to explain this for the rest of your life.
Oh and you might want to make sure your chief will sign off on the forms. There are ways around that though with a trust.
Be prepared to pay and wait.

With that said there are cheaper options. M2 carbine for one,

I was all geared up to get into it..... then we found out or second child would turn out to be 2. Few years later realised cars/trucks where to small. I spent my "fun money" on vehicles and some house projects. Basically putting me out for any chance to get one. Good thing is I have my green card and get to play with those willing to share.

1st off you need to have your FFL 03 license to start. It's part of the MA requirement.

no, it isn't.

while it helps satisfy the "bona fide collector" or whatever wording is in the law--it's not part of the law. you absolutely can be a collector of firearms without being a 03FFL.

no, it isn't.

while it helps satisfy the "bona fide collector" or whatever wording is in the law--it's not part of the law. you absolutely can be a collector of firearms without being a 03FFL.

Sure, but for most people the 03 is the simplest (and pretty cheap too) way to "prove" that you are a bona fide collector.

a full auto m-16 cost over 15 dimes??

The M16 itself sells for about $800.

Presence of the serial number on the pre-86 transferable full auto list runs at least $20K.

The C&R FFL makes it easier to buy C&R firearms, nothing else. Jack.
What he was probably referring to is the MGL that states that a MG license may be issued only to a LE trainer or a "bona fide collector". There is a CMR that establishes that holding a C&R FFL makes one a "bona fide collector". Some departments that issue MG license require proof of "bona fide collector" status, the C&R is the easiest way to do that.

This means that "because I want to enjoy shooting them" does not meet the MA criteria for a MG license. You need to frame your application in conformance with state law.

That being said, there are departments that have a blanket policy of not issuing MG licenses because they are "too dangerous". I am aware of court appeals that have been made regarding such denials but to the best of my knowledge none have been successful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom