• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M14/M1A magazines?

I'm in the same boat. My M14 only came with one mag, and I'm looking for 3 more. The only prebans I've been able to find are selling for $40 at Four Seasons. Is that really the market price, or is that the same as the $30 preban AR mags out there for sale?

It looks like there are a lot of Preban magazines around, but prices vary. I just want to make sure I put my hard earned money into a magazine that works.

T57's are crap. And they're still crap after you put new springs in them. I wouldn't buy them for $10, which is where they were not long ago.

Save yourself some massive hassle and get USGI ones. The market on preban USGI was way down the last time I checked because there are tons of new USGI ones being made for $20ish and prebans are just old mags now instead of being the only thing that worked 100%.

T57's are crap. And they're still crap after you put new springs in them. I wouldn't buy them for $10, which is where they were not long ago.

Save yourself some massive hassle and get USGI ones. The market on preban USGI was way down the last time I checked because there are tons of new USGI ones being made for $20ish and prebans are just old mags now instead of being the only thing that worked 100%.
The T57 magazines have been said to be a good sold magazine by many, was this your experience with using them?

The T57 magazines have been said to be a good sold magazine by many, was this your experience with using them?

Bought one of those 10 packs from Dan's Ammo or Ammoman (I forget which, but those were/are the two big dealers selling them)

First off, they look like hell. Rusty and pitted. Ok no big deal, clean them off with steel wool and mineral spirits and now they look at least like something I'd feel ok putting in a $1300+ rifle after drying them off.

After doing mag tests with all ten, I only found maybe three (and that's generous) that seemed to function properly at the range. The others ranged from occasional FTF to Guaranteed FTF on the 2nd round. Crap. Standard fix was to replace with Wolff +10% springs.

After spending more money and more time installing springs, only 7 of the ten were now reliable. Still crap. Sold them all (with full disclosure) and got some USGIs that I never had to worry about again.

Bought one of those 10 packs from Dan's Ammo or Ammoman (I forget which, but those were/are the two big dealers selling them)

First off, they look like hell. Rusty and pitted. Ok no big deal, clean them off with steel wool and mineral spirits and now they look at least like something I'd feel ok putting in a $1300+ rifle after drying them off.

After doing mag tests with all ten, I only found maybe three (and that's generous) that seemed to function properly at the range. The others ranged from occasional FTF to Guaranteed FTF on the 2nd round. Crap. Standard fix was to replace with Wolff +10% springs.

After spending more money and more time installing springs, only 7 of the ten were now reliable. Still crap. Sold them all (with full disclosure) and got some USGIs that I never had to worry about again.

Thanks for posting this

Thanks for the review.

Anyone using M14 USGI Magazines marked W? Thoughts?

A lot of the mags marked as USGI aren't...Be careful out there. If you have a bead on some T-57's and the price is right, ($20.00 or under), get them. I paid $10.00 each in a group buy and then paid 5 per mag to have them re-parked. I don't have the link handy on this computer, but if you Google "Lee Emerson M-14", you will be led to everything you wanted to know about USGI mag ID. Many are just cheap, USA craphole mags which don't work. I however bought some BRW S-1's that turned out to be re-stenciled CMI's. I paid $25.00 a piece for them, but hey - they work like a charm. Many are not so lucky and end up buying cheap, crappy mags marked as USGI. Also head to M-14forum.com - great resource. PM me for more mag info - I may be able to help you...

I have a bunch of t-57's as well. I only have one mag that gave me problems... the floor plate was loose. A couple of taps with a mallet and she's running great. the best part is I only paid $10 each and they have not a spec of rust on them. I guess I am just lucky!

Found a few NIW (Dated late 60s/early 70s) preban USGIs a few weeks back for $25 at a store. They can be found, it just takes time.

Found a few NIW (Dated late 60s/early 70s) preban USGIs a few weeks back for $25 at a store. They can be found, it just takes time.

Just curious if you've checked them against the database of NIW, dated magazines that turn out to be fake. Some went to such extraordinary measures to conceal the fake mags, (wrappers, antique finish, oil on the wrappers, etc) that it made me wonder what the profit margin was...[thinking]
Lee Emerson's guide is pretty comprehensive and I have seen details, (photographic) of people unwrapping what was thought to be "genuine USGI" only to find out they were fakes...

When you get your Socom post up some pics here,

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42990

America's Armed in Milford has or had some M1A 20 round mags for it. Not sure what kind.

Thanks I will pop in there and check it out, they are close by. I am probably going to have to settle for a SOCOM in the Urban Tiger Stripe pattern[angry], But I can paint it later. No other colors were in stock. Hopefully it does not look as bad as the picture. What was SA thinking[rolleyes].

Back
Top Bottom