M1 yardsale find continued, Stock refresh

Did you bother to work on steaming out any dings? I just cleaned the USGI walnut stock I picked up. Maybe give it some light sanding with a very fine grit.

How does tung oil compare to BLO?

Did you bother to work on steaming out any dings? I just cleaned the USGI walnut stock I picked up. Maybe give it some light sanding with a very fine grit.

How does tung oil compare to BLO?

nope just got the 50 plus years of crud off. Dings dents scratches stay on this one. I have not bothered to refinish a stock in such a manner to pull dents and sand out scratches. I just assume buy a new stock.

Raw linseed oil was not used after the 20's and raw tung oil was never used by SA.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/#1

Well until SA distributed the type of tung oil they used I will use the 100% tung oil. I don't know if it's raw ,filtered modified or not but it looks good, works well and I like it on the old guns vs any of the tung oil finishes like min wax.
Now min wax tung oil finish does work well but has a different feel and look once cured.
I used tung oil finish on my new stock on my JCG match Rifle and a few pellet guns and 22s.

Tru Oil is nice also and just as easy to use.
I like any product that looks more like it's "in" the wood vs on top of the wood like shellac and polly

When I'm done I will do a side by side with 100% tung oil and my min wax tung oil finish stock. That needs a few more coats also. I was going for 6 did 3 so far before I just wanted to shoot!

Last edited:
Final coat went on last night , hope to sneak out when the sun pops up and take a few pics.

HRA finally as close to "correct" as i will ever have

Finished the stock clean up. The only real goal here was to get off the 60 plus years or so of grime off. Lock up is worthy of a heavy palm slap to close it. much tighter than my other GI stocks.

Here is the cmp new wood stock that came with the rifle. I had to do alot of fitting on this stock and ended up stripping and redoing this stock. I used Minwax Tung oil finish on this one at 6 coats or so.
The main reason the stocks come finished with that dull brown stain/oil finish from the cmp is to hide the differences in the wood and any "bad" wood. If you look at the secound picture on the butt stock about 4" in you can see a line betwen the dark and lighter sides. With the fast drying paint/stain/oil stuff that is sprayed on from the factory "covers" stuff like this.

5fE5f1n.jpg

i3TTH1j.jpg

Now the late 50s USGI HRA stock all cleaned and back home on a HRA rifle.
NKne6Y3.jpg

p2b6gDe.jpg

Last edited:
HRA finally as close to "correct" as i will ever have

Now onto the next project Glass bedding the New CMP stock above.

Interested in that project too. [thumbsup] for the HRA.

I'm really not sure what rifle will get the bedded stock project. Depends on the acquisition of parts,rifle, cmp 308 release. If I could get a good deal on a M1 with a shot out barrel it would go on a 308build....but if cmp comes out with a $830 field grade 308 special it will end up on that.

Back
Top Bottom