• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand ?

K98

Is it true that most WWII Garand's after the war were re-finished with replacement barrels? Is the serial number visible on the barrel without field stripping it? Are all internals serialized as well?

Yes. Just pull back the op rod and you can see the date on the barrel. My rifle is April of 42 and the barrel is Feb of 55.

Greg

If you get a Garand from the CMP (where just about all of them are coming from these days), there is no guarantee that the barrel on the gun is the one that it got arsenal refurbished with. It could just be a random mix of parts that the CMP had on hand. My garand has a (late) 43 receiver and an (early) 44 barrel, so I wonder if the barrel it has is the one that it was built with.

needle in haystack {and expensive) to find an original unmessed with wwii garand. though a rebuilt garand means more than likely saw combat.

years ago I was lucky to inherit a dozen original unmessed with wwii garands. kicking myself now for letting them go.

Just for the record there are no "matching" numbers on M1 garands. There are period correct parts, ID'ed by drawing numbers unique design features ex: uncut op rods, lock bar sights ectect. Also remember in times of parts shortage the other manufactures would help out and ship parts to each other.... I think from what I have read and seen your unlikely to come across an original un touched M1 or a unissued one. especially WWII era. Think about how many M1s needed to be serviced after WWII also many where shooter corrosive ammo.

BUT BY ALL MEANS KEEP US UPDATED WITH WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT....some people hit the jackpot sometimes.

The M1 was in service from 1937 to 1957 when production stopped and did not get phased out until 1965. Then many where shipped out to reserve units, over seas, leased out ectect.... A well used and proven machine any garand is a good garand

Last edited:
needle in haystack {and expensive) to find an original unmessed with wwii garand. though a rebuilt garand means more than likely saw combat.

years ago I was lucky to inherit a dozen original unmessed with wwii garands. kicking myself now for letting them go.

that just made me ill [sad2]

funny thing is my guess is there are probably more matching # K98s than original M1s in the US ?????

funny thing is my guess is there are probably more matching # K98s than original M1s in the US ?????

And not likely to be anymore with Obama's reimport ban :( If a republican president gets elected and that ban stands, I will be very unhappy, but not very surprised.

And not likely to be anymore with Obama's reimport ban :( If a republican president gets elected and that ban stands, I will be very unhappy, but not very surprised.
just a FYI any m1 m1 carbine, m1917 or any other US rifle that is still owned by the US can be returned from anywhere in the world. It is then up to the US army to decide if they will give those items/rifles to the cmp. That's where the 15k$ sniper rifle came from on cmp web auction.
Now any US surplus rifles owned out right by a foriegn entity must comply to the importation rules starting with the gun control act of 1964 and up to obamas BS.
Century Arms supposedly had a 30 million $ contract to Import the garands and other rifles owned by the S Korean . We will never really know just how many M1s were sold off to other countries.... there's 80k or so @ the cmp so don't wait for any private importation.... buy from the cmp!

just a FYI any m1 m1 carbine, m1917 or any other US rifle that is still owned by the US can be returned from anywhere in the world. It is then up to the US army to decide if they will give those items/rifles to the cmp. That's where the 15k$ sniper rifle came from on cmp web auction.
Now any US surplus rifles owned out right by a foriegn entity must comply to the importation rules starting with the gun control act of 1964 and up to obamas BS.
Century Arms supposedly had a 30 million $ contract to Import the garands and other rifles owned by the S Korean . We will never really know just how many M1s were sold off to other countries.... there's 80k or so @ the cmp so don't wait for any private importation.... buy from the cmp!
Exactly, I was referring to the south Korea owned m1 garand, which were being bought by century, supposedly 600000 of them, which will likely be lost to us.

Obama 's decision was particularly stupid because automatic rifles were never going to be imported so the only guns affected are Korean War and earlier. Not exactly street crime friendly

This was an executive order and "could" be undone by any other POTUS

Back
Top Bottom