• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand rebarrel

silkwilk237

NES Member
I have a 1944 M1 Garand that I want to have rebarreled. CMP will do it but, is someone local I can buy a barrel from and have it installed/timed?

Ed

I have a 1944 M1 Garand that I want to have rebarreled. CMP will do it but, is someone local I can buy a barrel from and have it installed/timed?

Ed
Noah’s Motors in Saugus is who you seek

A lot of the Philippine Rack Grade Garands (a majority of the ones that I've seen at least) are in need of new barrels.

What is the year on your existing barrel? And what is the muzzle erosion? Does it swallow an '06 round to the cartridge neck?

If not, and if it is a post-war barrel, you might get lucky and restore a lot of accuracy by swapping out the bolt to a post-war 65-series bolt.

I'll ask a gunsmith I know if he'd be willing to offer the service with expedited turnaround times.

I know he has the tools.

I just did a 4 digit build and I has a used barrel, sent it to shuffs parkerizing to have some parts done to match the finish and he will put new barrels on. 6 week turn around

Years ago bought the tools needed. Bought Rack Grade rifles and new WWII or later barrels from CMP, change the barrels and sold them.

When CMP ran out of USGI barrels, sold the tools.

I emailed him a few weeks ago and no reply.
Noah is very ild school, show up , wait wait some more and wait, then open wallet wide. He does very nice work… disclaimer been 10 years since I have seen anything he has done

Last edited:
I am in no way trying to discourage people from rebarreling their rifles.

Or do I want anyone to think I’m taking away from a gunsmith doing work. Now I have. Purchased all the tools needed to re-barrel M1 Garand mouses and even the carbines yet I still have paid our local guru to re-barrel rifles it’s highly dependent on what you want out of it I personally did not want to pay $225 For a 308 pull through finish reamer so I let our local guru do my 308

My point is for the cost of a new barrel labor and other small parts that may be needed you can buy M1 Garand and 30 Ott six with a new barrel and a new stock for 1150 bucks from the CMP.

This is of course all related to your end use and expectations.

I can tell you from my own experience and I posted some of my experiments here on NES that just putting a new barrel on a rifle does not guarantee it will shoot any better it’s pretty amazing what a few small things when corrected shrink those groups down range poor fitting stocks loose Lola bands handguard interference all that will not go away by simply replacing a barrel

Now we are fortunate enough at our local club to have a guru of the M1 Garand and a military rifle of all sorts who holds records nationally has built plenty of rifles for other nationally known shooters and does great work what I do not know is the extent of how much advertising we should do for him the best I can do is PM me and I’ll give you his phone number I’ve never heard him turn anyone down.

Side note, if your intention iscto have the best possible shooter have someone with experience re work your rifle.
If your looking to just improve on your existing rifle go through it eliminate any small issues.
Heck even replacing ALL the springs will help a little.
A new stock well fitted will help almost any rifle.
Good ammo is a plus
Just Remember M1s where not held to a high degree of “accuracy”
If its under 5 moa its a good rifle per standards. Also remember ammo manufactures reserved their best lots of ammo for testing .NOTE : used speak to text and have not edited anything

View: https://youtu.be/jmiVuP_GXzA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom