• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Hard pass. I feel sorry for the guys who are just getting into this stuff, or haven't yet learned how to reload.
Mhmm. Unless shooting 200+ yards, just stick with the PPU 150 gr stuff to save a few bucks (for non reloaders)

Hard pass. I feel sorry for the guys who are just getting into this stuff, or haven't yet learned how to reload.
$2/round is a bitter pill when I still have past Black Friday-purchased components that can make M2 ball equivalents for about 34 cents per round.

$2/round is a bitter pill when I still have past Black Friday-purchased components that can make M2 ball equivalents for about 34 cents per round.
Even with todays prices on components you could reload M2 equivalents for about 53 cpr or so. That’s assuming $45 per pound of powder, 13 cent projectiles and 10 cent primers

Decent deal on HXP in the classifieds. I bought a bunch of 7.62x39 from him in October. Solid dude. In the Peabody area
I bought some from him as well. and And a case of Yugo 7.62x39 still sealed 1100 rounds i think. Big heavy green box with rope handles. I think was the same guy....

Last edited:
Head's up to the forum that CMP has a batch of Service Grade M1's now listed on their website. The majority of these are Danish returns in new CMP wood. Quite a few VAR barrels which are supposedly the most accurate of the issued barrels. Very few with older stocks. From what I have seen the receivers are in fantastic condition considering they are from '42 and '43. These are examples of good Service Grades with no pitting. There were some real dogs from the Turkish and Philippine returns.

In the last day plus or minus, CMP posted "First come, first served, no backorders", so if you are set up to buy from the CMP I'd get your order in asap and send via Priority.

Head's up to the forum that CMP has a batch of Service Grade M1's now listed on their website. The majority of these are Danish returns in new CMP wood. Quite a few VAR barrels which are supposedly the most accurate of the issued barrels. Very few with older stocks. From what I have seen the receivers are in fantastic condition considering they are from '42 and '43. These are examples of good Service Grades with no pitting. There were some real dogs from the Turkish and Philippine returns.

In the last day plus or minus, CMP posted "First come, first served, no backorders", so if you are set up to buy from the CMP I'd get your order in asap and send via Priority.

FYI the CMP Service Grades have sold out. This batch was considered a good one. All gone.

F0NhYVSaUAA_GfO

@Broc GQ thread worthy

A few weeks old but god damn. That was impressive 😂.
Wonder what they load the overpressured rounds with? Pistol powder?

View: https://youtu.be/BEvp7ZnzNBs?si=rlgClg1jmaZrw7Bn

Purposefully mashing your thumb in a M1 action is dumb but no harm no foul, so sorta funny.

Yes there are tons of Garands out there but they are a historic and finite resource. Blowing one up isn't particularly earth shattering and just makes Scott look like a f#cktard who is whoring for lowest common denominator clicks.

I'm beginning to think he knew that 50 cal SLAP rounds were iffy but thought he'd get away with shooting one for the yuks and clicks. He was pushing hard for a Darwin and nearly won what he deserved.

Purposefully mashing your thumb in a M1 action is dumb but no harm no foul, so sorta funny.

Yes there are tons of Garands out there but they are a historic and finite resource. Blowing one up isn't particularly earth shattering and just makes Scott look like a f#cktard who is whoring for lowest common denominator clicks.

I'm beginning to think he knew that 50 cal SLAP rounds were iffy but thought he'd get away with shooting one for the yuks and clicks. He was pushing hard for a Darwin and nearly won what he deserved.
Gotta monetize those YouTube videos!…

Yeah - seriously, he just blew up another rifle? He's a "gun guy" and he never owned a Garand before? He sounds like he's borderline retarded.

In the Marines they award, not sure if they still do M1's, Secretary of the Navy Trophy M1 Garands at the divisional matches. They award them for the Rifle match champion, Pistol Match champion, High rookie Rifle shooter aka "Tyro", High rookie Pistol shooter. So that means the USMC shooting team armorers prepare four rifles each year for each of the three USMC divisions. The only M1's I own are the two I won while shooting in the Marines.

The winners get to do a draft of the available rifles before they are engraved. Rifle Champ picks first, then the Pistol Champ, Rifle Tyro 3rd, and Pistol Tyro 4th. You can see the difference in wood between my 4th pick the 1st year and my first pick the next

1995 High Pistol Tyro

20230930_161849.jpg

1996 Rifle match champion
20230930_161934.jpg

Its funny to only see a 3x count on two days of pistol shooting the 1st year. 590 with 53v on the rifle tied the division record with the rifle when I was in shooting a 20" M16 with irons.

Also, readings are 3+/3+, that means its pretty worn out?

Considering it was restock'd, does this stock add any value to it? If not I might consider a new walnut stock.

Last edited:
View attachment 802470

Just got my first one! Field SA Garand, the receiver is dated at october 1943, and seems to have had its stock replaced in or around 1953, it has the 3 star cartouche. Really happy with what I got.
That's a sweet looking case (nice rifle too ;)). When I got my Garands from the CMP years ago they just shipped them out in a cardboard box.

Also, readings are 3+/3+, that means its pretty worn out?

Considering it was restock'd, does this stock add any value to it? If not I might consider a new walnut stock.
3/3 really isn't bad. Keep in mind some new barrels would read a 1.

Nice to have USGI wood. If the reciever locks in ok and it shoots ok I'd leave it as is. If the stock fit is loose you can shim or put it in a new stock.

That's a nice field grade.

Back
Top Bottom