• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Part of it’s the history. There’s a rumor new Garands will be made under the H&R name. Those may be nice but I’d rather the ones with history.
If they are forged like the Bula Defense M14 receivers, could be some awesome hardware for the M1 Garand matches. Who knows if they will actually make them. M1 receivers are pretty robust and I have not seen any wear out within the match crowd.

a $1150 is insane for a garand, in my opinion, but, to each his own.
this rifle has its afficionados for sure. as i was born in '73 - i have little to no appreciation to it, to mosins, to sks - i used them all, shot them all, but, ok. not going to have none of them any time soon.

a $1150 can buy you a very nice bergara or CZ.
Your comparing apples to oranges. The M1 Garand has deep nostalgic soul . A Bargara / CZ does NOT . (says I) I also paid $1560 for my new production Springfield M1A Loaded back in 2015 . Zero purchase regrets.

has deep nostalgic soul . A Bargara / CZ does NOT
a cz has way more nostalgic vibes for me personally than a garand would ever have. :) different realms, different generations.
and i am not bashing garand at all. just saying what it is for me, and in regard of a $1K+ prices specifically.

a cz has way more nostalgic vibes for me personally than a garand would ever have. :) different realms, different generations.
and i am not bashing garand at all. just saying what it is for me, and in regard of a $1K+ prices specifically.

If people pay the $1150, I guess the market spoke and approved the price. The crazy prices to me are for the 1911s CMP sells. I don’t see the value or the history nearly as much with those.

With the garands, peoples father, grandfather, etc may have carried those in Korea or WW2 so there’s an attachment there as well.

You can't really touch any sought after milsurp US rifle for under $1k these days. 1903s, 1917s, Carbines, Garands, etc.
Part of it’s the history. There’s a rumor new Garands will be made under the H&R name. Those may be nice but I’d rather the ones with history.

Hard pass on that. There are plenty of GI receivers and parts to go around for several more generations. Machining operations to make a Garand receiver is complex and that would be reflected in the cost.

You can't really touch any sought after milsurp US rifle for under $1k these days. 1903s, 1917s, Carbines, Garands, etc.

Hard pass on that. There are plenty of GI receivers and parts to go around for several more generations. Machining operations to make a Garand receiver is complex and that would be reflected in the cost.

How many carbines are in South Korea siting in warehouses? 600,000? Hopefully those get repatriated in 2025 with a new POTUS and GOP congress. It’s absurd Milsurps don’t all come back

I was going to mention that if he thought M1 Garands were pricey, look at M1 carbines.

How many carbines are in South Korea siting in warehouses? 600,000? Hopefully those get repatriated in 2025 with a new POTUS and GOP congress. It’s absurd Milsurps don’t all come back
I don't know about Carbines but the Korean Garands have been well documented. After the Obama reversal on the DOD import plans in 2012 The Koreans offered them for sale to CAI and the government told CAI they could import them since they could only be brought back by the Defense Department. Unless a new administration is willing to allow Korea to sell them back it doesn't look like they are coming back anytime soon. Since CMP actually paid millions of dollars for the return of the Philippine Garands including termite extermination, asbestos cleanup, and packaging and shipping I would expect CMP would be willing to pay for them if the Government allowed.

I don't know about Carbines but the Korean Garands have been well documented. After the Obama reversal on the DOD import plans in 2012 The Koreans offered them for sale to CAI and the government told CAI they could import them since they could only be brought back by the Defense Department. Unless a new administration is willing to allow Korea to sell them back it doesn't look like they are coming back anytime soon. Since CMP actually paid millions of dollars for the return of the Philippine Garands including termite extermination, asbestos cleanup, and packaging and shipping I would expect CMP would be willing to pay for them if the Government allowed.

This says there are 750,000 carbines. History of the Korean Garand and M1 Carbine import ban - Calguns.net

There are also 1911s too.

///

My Match Rifle (which almost deserves air quotes since it's been so long since I did a match) is a Field Grade Special, which is a Field Grade with a new Criterion match barrel and one of the new stock sets.
I hear you. Got a CMP rifle with VAR barrel, had a new stock set fitted, finished it in 2003 and it is a great shooter while still Garand Match legal.

Last time competing with it, 2008.

i-dL9fhMX.jpg

I can't remember where I read it but is there some kind of modification to shoot normal 30.06 through it? M2 Ball is hard to find and expensive so I haven't shot mine in years.
Reloading your own M2 Ball is easy, fun and more affordable than buying either surplus or commercial M2 Ball these days. I miss the good ol' days when surplus Lake City was everywhere for pennies.

Reloading your own M2 Ball is easy, fun and more affordable than buying either surplus or commercial M2 Ball these days. I miss the good ol' days when surplus Lake City was everywhere for pennies.
Reloading for my Garands was why I got into reloading to begin with. I reload twelve different cartridges now, no looking back.

How about this one?

Korean surplus ammo. No damage to the shooter or the Garand.

Did have to use a case extractor for the top piece though.

This goes squarely in the not loaded correctly for whatever reason.
Theres alot of info out there on Korean ammo. Some is good some is bad.

a $1150 is insane for a garand, in my opinion, but, to each his own.
this rifle has its afficionados for sure. as i was born in '73 - i have little to no appreciation to it, to mosins, to sks - i used them all, shot them all, but, ok. not going to have none of them any time soon.

a $1150 can buy you a very nice bergara or CZ.
But its not a M1…. Also you cant play in As Issued M1 Match with them foreign rifles, lol

Un likely or SAI would just start making them again . When SAI had there M1s out for sale they where expensive and CMP got a huge shipment and now Garands where “cheap” again.
Reading somewhere the M1s of WWII era where contracted for $84 each.

Part of the reason SAI dropped them and part of the reason M1a are a bit pricey

Has anyone else ordered this and found out that the polystyrene holders have pretty much disintegrated and left a tremendous amount of the little styrene pellets all over the ammo?
Unfortunately yes. I view it as a cost of doing business to get new recently made Garand ammo that I trust. At these prices I don’t shoot it much.

Has anyone else ordered this and found out that the polystyrene holders have pretty much disintegrated and left a tremendous amount of the little styrene pellets all over the ammo?
Their Creedmoor ammo has this problem now. I had trouble extracting during a match in rapids and I'm pretty sure it was one of those F-ing pellets. I even tried using an air gun to get rid of them but they get on everything and are as tenacious as stripper glitter.

In case anyone is wondering what we are talking about, here are some pictures of the Creedmoor .30-06 ammo from CMP. It's pretty high quality ammo packaged in the most crappy way.

View attachment 678640View attachment 678641

They have Garand ammo again? I need to pay better attention. I haven't checked the eStore for ages because they were out of .30-06 every time I checked.

Back
Top Bottom