M1 Garand Megathread

Last edited:
The problem with M1s and hot loads isn't the barrel or bolt...it's the operating rod. The rod has a 'dog leg' bend making it susceptible to bending out of spec if higher than spec loads are fired.
Also when using to slow of a powder you have to much gas volume and pressure getting into the gas system which can beat the up rod and bolt and the receiver heal to death. There is not a correctly loaded factory 30-06 load that will have “to much” chamber pressure to hurt a M1

Also when using to slow of a powder you have to much gas volume and pressure getting into the gas system which can beat the up rod and bolt and the receiver heal to death. There is not a correctly loaded factory 30-06 load that will have “to much” chamber pressure to hurt a M1
I used to worry a lot about what ammo I was using in my M1 Garand's, but the more research I did the more I've come to believe that any 150g-180g commercial load (meaning one that meets SAMMI specs) is fine, even without a vented or ported gas lock screw (as long as your barrel and chamber are in good shape). And as @mac1911 says, it's the pressure and volume of gas going through the gas port that can hammer the entire action of the rifle. That's why slower burning powders with heavy (200+g) bullets can cause problems. But it is usually a Swiss cheese model, where several things must go wrong at the same time and line up to cause an actual problem. In a well functioning M1, commercial loads should be no problem. But combined with one or more other issues (poor lubrication, weak op rod spring, op rod rubbing/binding on the stock, worn op rod contact points, etc) it can lead to a damaged op rod. That's why I still use a ported gas lock screw, just to be safe.

I used to worry a lot about what ammo I was using in my M1 Garand's, but the more research I did the more I've come to believe that any 150g-180g commercial load (meaning one that meets SAMMI specs) is fine, even without a vented or ported gas lock screw (as long as your barrel and chamber are in good shape). And as @mac1911 says, it's the pressure and volume of gas going through the gas port that can hammer the entire action of the rifle. That's why slower burning powders with heavy (200+g) bullets can cause problems. But it is usually a Swiss cheese model, where several things must go wrong at the same time and line up to cause an actual problem. In a well functioning M1, commercial loads should be no problem. But combined with one or more other issues (poor lubrication, weak op rod spring, op rod rubbing/binding on the stock, worn op rod contact points, etc) it can lead to a damaged op rod. That's why I still use a ported gas lock screw, just to be safe.
I think if I had an M1 as an everyday driver, so to speak, I might install the adjustable gas lock. In my case, they are either tools for paper punch games and 'collectible' (I shoot them all- no safe queens).

I think if I had an M1 as an everyday driver, so to speak, I might install the adjustable gas lock. In my case, they are either tools for paper punch games and 'collectible' (I shoot them all- no safe queens).
Yeah, if I hadn't already bought them during my "Oh my god, I'm going to bend my op rod" phase, I probably wouldn't use them now. And I don't have them on what I consider collectible Grands. Just on the .30-06 CMP Specials (I've never seen anything even suggesting they were needed on a .308 rebarrel).

That week 'maybe' looking stronger for getting to the next match? I missed this month but plan to be there 9/11. A bunch of us will be getting in our final tune up before Camp Ethan Allen in VT.
I'm still hoping to come Sunday morning - somebody has to bring up the rear.

Who can I hope to run into? @Mountain? @mac1911? Anybody else?

Last edited:
Looks like CMP just raised prices again. Those experts were at $1000 in April. Rack was $650 for most of the year.

Get your CMP M1 Garand! We are currently accepting orders for Rack Grades $700, Rack Plus $850 and Expert Grades $1150. Available for mail order only.​

Looks like CMP just raised prices again. Those experts were at $1000 in April. Rack was $650 for most of the year.

Get your CMP M1 Garand! We are currently accepting orders for Rack Grades $700, Rack Plus $850 and Expert Grades $1150. Available for mail order only.​
That's a bargain considering I paid $1080 for my "Special" back in 2015 .

Rack Plus , wtf lol

From what I've been able to determine the Rack Plus is just a Rack Grade with new CMP wood. If you plan on replacing the stock anyway, the extra $150 for the new CMP wood might be a good deal.
Yeah I clicked the link the email just to learn what Rack Plus was, and as @cathouse01 says (and I suspected) it's a Rack Grade with a new CMP stock set.

My Match Rifle (which almost deserves air quotes since it's been so long since I did a match) is a Field Grade Special, which is a Field Grade with a new Criterion match barrel and one of the new stock sets.

I noticed no m1c’c or D’s in stock. I never look at the cop site , is that common ? I’d love to own a nice sniper to go with my red Tara Reid and carbine

How about this one?

Korean surplus ammo. No damage to the shooter or the Garand.

Did have to use a case extractor for the top piece though.

This goes squarely in the not loaded correctly for whatever reason.

Attachments

• garand failure.JPG
    garand failure.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 20
How about this one?

Korean surplus ammo. No damage to the shooter or the Garand.

Did have to use a case extractor for the top piece though.

This goes squarely in the not loaded correctly for whatever reason.
Korean surplus = KB (kaboom) Special.

Recent KB? A friend of mine shoots that stuff in milsurps including Garands. I stay the F away from that stuff and told him I'd be positioning myself so that he'd be between me and his rifle. ~2 years ago a different guy squadded next to me at a match had one detonate. Shooting glasses protected his eyes but his face near one of his eyes was banged up, cut, and black from powder burn. Small miracle no parts or pieces hit me.

IMHO the only thing Korean surplus 30-06 is good for is as a gift to someone you would not mind losing their face. Cue the "b-b-but I know what lots are ok..." Good luck with that.

Korean surplus = KB (kaboom) Special.

Recent KB? A friend of mine shoots that stuff in milsurps including Garands. I stay the F away from that stuff and told him I'd be positioning myself so that he'd be between me and his rifle. ~2 years ago a different guy squadded next to me at a match had one detonate. Shooting glasses protected his eyes but his face near one of his eyes was banged up, cut, and black from powder burn. Small miracle no parts or pieces hit me.

IMHO the only thing Korean surplus 30-06 is good for is as a gift to someone you would not mind losing their face. Cue the "b-b-but I know what lots are ok..." Good luck with that.

Couple of other pictures for the curious.

Projectile was ejected from the barrel...thankfully. This happened about 10 years ago.

I would have been very disappointed if it had blown up my IHC.

Bolt did not fully cycle in the next round or fully eject the failure.

Came from a can with bandoleers and En Block clips with rounds already seated.

Lot was KA73.

Attachments

• IMG_0127 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0127 - Copy.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0129 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0129 - Copy.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 12
Hmmm, Expert Grade for $1150.
Comments?
Sounds like the current "expert" grade is the same as what the CMP catagorized as a "Special" back in the 2014 era. My special was basically a completely refurbished to new as issued condition by the CMP gunsmiths. My special uses a new Boyds stock, and a new Criterion barrel and all USGI components . So if it's only about $70 more than what was the cost 7 years ago the "Experts" are a great deal considering you get a basically new M1

Sounds like the current "expert" grade is the same as what the CMP catagorized as a "Special" back in the 2014 era. My special was basically a completely refurbished to new as issued condition by the CMP gunsmiths. My special uses a new Boyds stock, and a new Criterion barrel and all USGI components . So if it's only about $70 more than what was the cost 7 years ago the "Experts" are a great deal considering you get a basically new M1

+1 to this. The expert grade is as close to a new production M1 rifle you can get. The CMP well is drying up. Buy now while you still can.

+1 to this. The expert grade is as close to a new production M1 rifle you can get. The CMP well is drying up. Buy now while you still can.
I think there are enough in circulation that finding one won't be difficult. However, M1's are immensely popular and once the steady, lower cost supply from the CMP dries up, anyone who wanted one will wish they had already bought one. I bet prices jump $500 and keep going.

As @Road_Clam said, the Special was a complete refurb. Not only a new Criterion Barrel and new wood, but also new or completely refurbished other components, some even being new manufacture. Even the service grade receiver they used was refinished. The "Expert" is just a Service grade rifle with a new barrel and new wood, the other components are just normal service grade. But given the quality of the Service Grades I've gotten, this shouldn't be an issue.

I think there are enough in circulation that finding one won't be difficult. However, M1's are immensely popular and once the steady, lower cost supply from the CMP dries up, anyone who wanted one will wish they had already bought one. I bet prices jump $500 and keep going.
Well said. I only have 2 regrets in life. #1 was selling my '68 Camaro SS back in 1990 , and the other was not buying a few crates of HXP !!

Hmmm, Expert Grade for $1150.
Comments?
a $1150 is insane for a garand, in my opinion, but, to each his own.
this rifle has its afficionados for sure. as i was born in '73 - i have little to no appreciation to it, to mosins, to sks - i used them all, shot them all, but, ok. not going to have none of them any time soon.

a $1150 can buy you a very nice bergara or CZ.

a $1150 is insane for a garand, in my opinion, but, to each his own.
this rifle has its afficionados for sure. as i was born in '73 - i have little to no appreciation to it, to mosins, to sks - i used them all, shot them all, but, ok. not going to have none of them any time soon.

a $1150 can buy you a very nice bergara or CZ.

Part of it’s the history. There’s a rumor new Garands will be made under the H&R name. Those may be nice but I’d rather the ones with history.

Well said. I only have 2 regrets in life. #1 was selling my '68 Camaro SS back in 1990 , and the other was not buying a few crates of HXP !!
I had a '67 Mustang GTA fastback that I sort of regret selling in the late 80's. I was in college and working one or two jobs at a time depending on class load. All the miles and winters were getting hard on that car, and I could not afford to keep it and have a daily driver as well. Sold it to my girlfriend and her dad, so I did get to drive the car while that lasted.

HXP? Bought tons of it and still have some later year rounds that came in enblocs packaged in spam cans. There are a few culls in them, so it's pretty much just practice / plinking ammo. The enblocs have to be tumbled before they are useable. Earlier HXP in cardboard boxes is OK. As long as it didn't corrode in the enblocs, HXP brass is good to go for reloading. I buy bulk blem match projectiles which are AOK for your typical CMP 200 yard match.

Back
Top Bottom