M1 Garand Megathread

Maybe not, who knows. Closing up with a mallet is apples and oranges, however. A couple of my new stocks are best closed with a mallet, though I use a rubber one.
When your assembling many a day its going to be a mallet, hows even a gloved hand going to feel after 20-30 palm smacks!
Would not surprise me if they had a jig that pressed on the gas cylinder then a hydraulic screw driver driving the screw home

If it's loose, for sure it will affect accuracy.

I don't know the actual torque value, but for example if you were to use a big flat blade screwdriver you cannot get enough torque. Small ratchet and driver like Mac showed or the actual Garand tools will get you the torque you need.
Of course I’m using a flat head screw driver😂😂. I’m an electrician, if I can’t do it with my pliers and screwdriver it can’t be done!😂😂👍🏻.

I've never owned an M1 before. Right now the CMP only has rack grade ($650) and expert grade ($1100) available.. how nice is a rack grade one? The price difference is pretty substantial. I'm not sure how often I'd use it; it would just be to hang on to a cool piece of history.

I've never owned an M1 before. Right now the CMP only has rack grade ($650) and expert grade ($1100) available.. how nice is a rack grade one? The price difference is pretty substantial. I'm not sure how often I'd use it; it would just be to hang on to a cool piece of history.
If you just want a “piece of history” you’re better off with a rack grade. The rack grade will show definite signs of wear, but that’s what gives it its “history”. It will definitely be “shootable”. The expert grade has a modern replacement barrel and modern replacement stock set for increased accuracy. The rack grade will be 100% “original” M1 parts. If you want a shooter, get the expert grade. If you want a piece of history, get the rack grade.

If you just want a “piece of history” you’re better off with a rack grade. The rack grade will show definite signs of wear, but that’s what gives it its “history”. It will definitely be “shootable”. The expert grade has a modern replacement barrel and modern replacement stock set for increased accuracy. The rack grade will be 100% “original” M1 parts. If you want a shooter, get the expert grade. If you want a piece of history, get the rack grade.
Thank you! I think I'll take my chances with a rack grade. I suppose I can always upgrade it if I get the itch..

Which grade is that?

the rack grades are a good representation of the M1 and if you will be happy range blasting a few clips its a very good option. Plus if you decide to up grade you should have no problem selling it for no less than what you paid

the rack grades are a good representation of the M1 and if you will be happy range blasting a few clips its a very good option. Plus if you decide to up grade you should have no problem selling it for no less than what you paid
Thanks! Just what I'm looking for.

Looks like that has a stock with a tip repair? Or is it just a difference in finish? If a new tip was spliced on, that might have been a BM59 stock as they are shortened M1 stocks. It might have later been reworked to M1 dimensions. I have a Minelli former BM59 stock on my National Match clone and the stock is rock solid and drives tacks despite the tip thing- they are excellent stocks if you want a great shooter. Check for any interesting markings and let us know. I don't think the US had any reason to shorten the stocks.

BM59:
5165500325-beretta-bm-59.jpg

Meanwhile, my Field Grade upgraded to Service Grade hasn't been shipped yet despite a credit card charge for quite some time. Others ordering around the same time have been getting theirs, so I really hope mine shakes loose this week. Just over 6 months since my order was received.

Looks like that has a stock with a tip repair? Or is it just a difference in finish? If a new tip was spliced on, that might have been a BM59 stock as they are shortened M1 stocks. It might have later been reworked to M1 dimensions. I have a Minelli former BM59 stock on my National Match clone and the stock is rock solid and drives tacks despite the tip thing- they are excellent stocks if you want a great shooter. Check for any interesting markings and let us know. I don't think the US had any reason to shorten the stocks.

BM59:
5165500325-beretta-bm-59.jpg

Meanwhile, my Field Grade upgraded to Service Grade hasn't been shipped yet despite a credit card charge for quite some time. Others ordering around the same time have been getting theirs, so I really hope mine shakes loose this week. Just over 6 months since my order was received.
I know it's blasphemy, but I want to build a BM59 in 6.5CM, just because...

.25-06 would be interesting but might burn out barrels a bit quickly.
Actually it’s already been done:
Thread goes on to say that it’s pretty easy to convert a Garand to any .30-06 or .308 based cartridge. So .270 or .243 are also good candidates.
McCann Industries even did one in .458 Win Mag oood-mccann-industries-458-win-mag-garand

I think there was a thread not long ago on the CMP forums describing a 6.5x55 garand conversion. Shuff could probably turn down that barrel and make it work on the BM-59 (assuming the receiver threads are the same)
Pretty sure I've read that one. But does the 6.5x55 match my carefully groomed beard like the Creedmoor matches my manbun?

The CMP is now saying 6-8 weeks delivery on Rack Grade ($650) and Expert Grade ($1,100). Much better tan the the 6-8 months during peak Covid.

The CMP is now saying 6-8 weeks delivery on Rack Grade ($650) and Expert Grade ($1,100). Much better tan the the 6-8 months during peak Covid.
That's not so bad, as far as CMP lead times go. My IHC took 8 months and Service Grade (upgraded from Field) will be approx 6-1/2 months. Meanwhile, they have been cranking out the Expert Grades and fulfilling those orders relatively quickly. I think the bottleneck for those is the Criterion barrels, though it's not much of a wait.

CMP Service Grade delivered just in time for me to check it out during lunch. Ended up being a pretty good score for me- either a great example of an 0-66 rebuild or at least some great parts to correct my IHC. Early 5-digit SA receiver 244XX and I assume originally one of the gas trap M1's. It's an 0-66 rebuild, with the electro pencil marking in the usual spot. GI wood with the 1/2" DAS- I think it is IHC which would be a great score if yes. Nice enough condition that I'll just clean with some detergent then apply some BLO. Also a IHC trigger housing. No pitting, receiver looks excellent for being such an early one. Most of the metal parts have a light coat of oil or very thin layer of grease. Barrel is a ~'54 LMR 1 muzzle, 1+ throat, which is also a nice score.

GaqRExph.jpg

s0RnGUXh.jpg

CMP Service Grade delivered just in time for me to check it out during lunch. Ended up being a pretty good score for me- either a great example of an 0-66 rebuild or at least some great parts to correct my IHC. Early 5-digit SA receiver 244XX and I assume originally one of the gas trap M1's. It's an 0-66 rebuild, with the electro pencil marking in the usual spot. GI wood with the 1/2" DAS- I think it is IHC which would be a great score if yes. Nice enough condition that I'll just clean with some detergent then apply some BLO. Also a IHC trigger housing. No pitting, receiver looks excellent for being such an early one. Most of the metal parts have a light coat of oil or very thin layer of grease. Barrel is a ~'54 LMR 1 muzzle, 1+ throat, which is also a nice score.

GaqRExph.jpg

s0RnGUXh.jpg
Nice score. I’m more convinced than ever that Service Grade (when you can get it) is the best bang for the buck.

GaqRExph.jpg

s0RnGUXh.jpg
Looks like you hit alot off the extra goodies
Possible trap door reciever# some like this and I assume some will pay for it?
IHC parts for your needs
LMR barrel - some say these are great- Im 0-2 and both became criterion barreled rifles.
GI wood always good

Looks like you hit alot off the extra goodies
Possible trap door reciever# some like this and I assume some will pay for it?
IHC parts for your needs
LMR barrel - some say these are great- Im 0-2 and both became criterion barreled rifles.
GI wood always good
No numbers in the channel but there are some things about this stock that say yes to IHC. I'll ask around maybe bring it to a match for opinions and post on CMP. For sure some good stuff came with this in case I want to do some parts swapping. So far I think my best 'score' from CMP and makes up for the Field Grade that should have been a Rack Grade.

LMR on my IHC is a very good shooter. I could try this one in a new stock to see how it shoots. I doubt I'll do the "CMP careful fitting" to match prep this stock.

GaqRExph.jpg

s0RnGUXh.jpg
Hadn't paid that much attention to all the rebuild info on M1's due to my "I'd rather shoot than collect" attitude. O-66 = USMC rebuild. @mac1911 is correct- some would pay decent money for the early / gas trap receiver plus others are into the USMC rebuilds.

Hadn't paid that much attention to all the rebuild info on M1's due to my "I'd rather shoot than collect" attitude. O-66 = USMC rebuild. @mac1911 is correct- some would pay decent money for the early / gas trap receiver plus others are into the USMC rebuilds.
Oh missed the 66 rebuild

Back
Top Bottom