M1 Garand Megathread

Yeah, that's what I had in mind basically. My "match" M1 is a field grade special, but in '06.
Looks like Fulton Armory wants about $250 for a 308 barrel. So, $650 for a field grade + $250 for a barrel, plus whatever a smith would charge.
Criterion barrel from CMP is ~$200.

I was just on the CMP store site and could not locate the 25 pack clips (new manufacture). Last time I ordered these, it was item PC014. However, I can not seem to locate these in the store now. Does anyone have any background / a search term I should use?

I was just on the CMP store site and could not locate the 25 pack clips (new manufacture). Last time I ordered these, it was item PC014. However, I can not seem to locate these in the store now. Does anyone have any background / a search term I should use?
I tried looking for them too and couldn’t find them either

they have been out of stock for a while now...like everything

See my post #145 in the thread. Rob at AmmoGarand still has some in stock, though he is limiting purchase quantities and isn’t shipping his 50 and 100 clip packs.

Easy link, although they only have AP/steel core ammo, illegal in MA. Lots of parts. I might get a cleaning kit that fits in the stock, just for history and back up for possible armageddon thanks to Joe Bidum.

Ammogarand

Easy link, although they only have AP/steel core ammo, illegal in MA. Lots of parts. I might get a cleaning kit that fits in the stock, just for history and back up for possible armageddon thanks to Joe Bidum.

Ammogarand
Illegal in MA?? I don't believe there's anything in the MGLs about AP/steel core ammo. Mike or Len would know. @drgrant @Len-2A Training

Last edited:
So I have some work to do on one of the SG I just received from CMP. The 42 SA Is patterning 6-9 inches high in a nice little group with the rear sight bottomed out at the 100 yard. So I’m going to try checking the simple things like the stock fit before I do anything crazy.

thanks again! bought one. finally installed it last night. That ejector spring is a bear to reinstall. Looking forward to getting out and confirming my zero this weekend before going down to OCSA next weekend
You bringing an M1 to the OCSA clinic / match? [thumbsup]

If you only have a 100 yard range, 2 clicks up will get you close to 200 yard X-ring. On the SR-1 target, if you hit ~1/4" above top center of the 10 ring you should be GTG.

There are printable SR-1 targets online. Buffalo targets I think is the site?

You bringing an M1 to the OCSA clinic / match? [thumbsup]
That's the plan. I'm a middling marksman, so really looking forward to the clinic aspect.
If you only have a 100 yard range, 2 clicks up will get you close to 200 yard X-ring. On the SR-1 target, if you hit ~1/4" above top center of the 10 ring you should be GTG.
I'm over at Harvard. Planning to make a morning of it, and effectively walk myself out to the 200 yd line by hitting the 25, 50, and 100 first. I may even try the 300, if I'm feeling at all confident.
There are printable SR-1 targets online. Buffalo targets I think is the site?
Awesome, I'll take a look. Thanks!

That's the plan. I'm a middling marksman, so really looking forward to the clinic aspect.

I'm over at Harvard. Planning to make a morning of it, and effectively walk myself out to the 200 yd line by hitting the 25, 50, and 100 first. I may even try the 300, if I'm feeling at all confident.

I have extra SR repair centers for 200 yards. You are welcome to a couple but would need to pick up in Worcester area.

CMP is selling Criterion barrels up here in Vermont. Saw 308 and 06 Garand barrels. $200. I grabbed an 03a3 barrel for a winter project. If anyone is interested, DM me.

Ammogarand
Only AP handgun ammo is illegal, and that is at the Federal level. AP rifle ammo is legal in MA. Pay no attention to things like the Giffords list of states that ban AP ammo since most of them are just repeating the Federal ban on AP handgun ammo. Giffords does say that their definition of AP is for ammo "designed to be fired in a handgun”. For example they say Texas bans AP ammo but the definition of AP in the Texas law is:

(12) "Armor-piercing ammunition" means handgun ammunition that is designed primarily for the purpose of penetrating metal or body armor and to be used principally in pistols and revolvers. (emphasis added).

Same as the definition in the Federal law. Even gun friendly sites that should know better list states with redundant AP handgun ammo bans as “Banning AP”.

Last edited:

If you zero at 25 yards your only a +1 click up away from darn close at 200 yards.
If you zero at 25 and move to 50-100 you will need to come down in elevation
25 yards roughly 1.5” aiming black pick your hold. Center mass or 6 oclock.

here are some SR reduced targets for 25, 50 yards. You may have to play with your printers scale to get the correct size

other zero targets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom