M1 Garand Megathread

After a few days of cleaning and removing all of the copper I made it out to the range. I don’t have a ton of ammo and I was out with the kids so we only shot two clip each. This is the first target with the first clip from the M1 with the new wood. I shot three rounds at the banking to try to get an idea where I was at.

View attachment 519970
I was estimating the center of the target but for me from the 100 with irons that a great target. I couldn’t be more happy and that target makes the wait so much more worth it. Now to load up so more rounds.
That’s some nice shooting at 100 yards without a doubt. That’s with HXP, PPU, or reloads?

2 orders of 30-06 showed up, still waiting on my garands, plenty to feed them when they come with a 3rd order shipping soon, question for those that have ordered ammo from CMP, has your 30-06 shown up with the styrofoam tray absolutely destroyed? Seems like all of the 30-06 i got was

2 orders of 30-06 showed up, still waiting on my garands, plenty to feed them when they come with a 3rd order shipping soon, question for those that have ordered ammo from CMP, has your 30-06 shown up with the styrofoam tray absolutely destroyed? Seems like all of the 30-06 i got was
All my ammo has come well packed, ?
Im sure it it slops around the styro can get beat

My 223 came in good shape, the 30-06 the styrofoam is destroyed two rows in on the ends, middle is fine, almost like fedex didn’t treat it very well
Possible, the styro is not strong if its impacting inside the shipping box.

My 223 came in good shape, the 30-06 the styrofoam is destroyed two rows in on the ends, middle is fine, almost like fedex didn’t treat it very well
I've had some slight damage to the Styrofoam on the ends, but the rounds were untouched and that's what matters.

I've had some slight damage to the Styrofoam on the ends, but the rounds were untouched and that's what matters.
My rounds were untouched as well, my styrofoam was pretty bad, about half the rounds are loose in the box and it’s all over my floor from opening one box lol but minor for some good ammo

My rounds were untouched as well, my styrofoam was pretty bad, about half the rounds are loose in the box and it’s all over my floor from opening one box lol but minor for some good ammo
The outer box they ship the two ammo boxes in is pretty stout. Total F-up on the carrier's part, not CMP.

Reloaded some match ammo to high degree of detail, something I dont do to often. Especially with a “out of the case”
CMP service grade.

I hope to get to OCSA for the last relay and put a score up for M1 match/clinic

My scale is only to the tenth so as accurate as can be to the tenth

Nosler 168gn Custom comps +.1
All weighed out at 168 with a few at 168.1
Cases 1972 HXP i actually got 50 cases with in .5 gn Hard to do with HXP !

Primers, I actually weighed 10 and they where all spot on same weight.
Powder- 45.5 grains H4895 Lyman Auto Scale to 45.3 and trickled up to 45.5
Will it help, eh probably notC1619B5C-83DD-4712-A56E-BF5BCFF2C091.jpeg

Last edited:
Reloaded some match ammo to high degree of detail, something I dont do to often. Especially with a “out of the case”
CMP service grade.

Will it help, eh probably notView attachment 521949

How many people know what those two rounds in the clip are?

CMP service grade.

Will it help, eh probably notView attachment 521949
This rifle did about as good as expected. I will post later.
Well I shot this rifle. Duplicating the CMP M1 200 yard match the best I could. I was able to see my holes well today so I scored each shot. I included the 5 sight in shots in my Slow Fire Prone score
Slow prone 138/150
Rapid prone. 91/100
Off hand. 81/10
Thats about 88%
On average im in the low 90% area with M1 with new barrel and new stpck

Shooting off hand a good day for me is kepping them inside the 7, a Excelent day is keeping them in the black !

this rifle has a well worn stock and MEand TE numbers of 2+
It started drifting right and low ad it heated up.8B5339CB-9B8D-4B61-8258-C900FAE2DC95.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a shipping heads up. I should be receiving the 30-06 ammo this week that I think I originally ordered back in March 2021. I also sent in an order for 2 service grades I believe on the day they marked them as sold out. 5/7/2021. I've been waiting for an email update about that order and replied to the fellow who sent me the ammo shipping notice. Took a few days but I heard back from a different person at CMP. They are still working on April orders at this time.

Just a shipping heads up. I should be receiving the 30-06 ammo this week that I think I originally ordered back in March 2021. I also sent in an order for 2 service grades I believe on the day they marked them as sold out. 5/7/2021. I've been waiting for an email update about that order and replied to the fellow who sent me the ammo shipping notice. Took a few days but I heard back from a different person at CMP. They are still working on April orders at this time.
Go to the CMP forum M1 Garand page. At top of page is a sticky for M1 order timeline. That's the best means to know what orders are now shipping.

I'd like CMP to offer some more 7.62x51 M1s so I can have something to shoot in MA... The milsurp/MA OK options are rather limited, it seems.

I'd like CMP to offer some more 7.62x51 M1s so I can have something to shoot in MA... The milsurp/MA OK options are rather limited, it seems.
Some listed on the CMP auction. Have your Frog Lube ready $$$.

You could just have a 308 barrel spun on.

Yeah, I'd rather not mess with either of the M1s I currently have.

I'd be interested in a 7.62 NATO Mauser of some kind, but the options and availability are limited.
Right now the easy way out is to have a 762/308 barrel spun on. If the end goal is to shoot it. If you must have a Isreali 763 mauser keep looking

apex had 762 NOS barrels I spun one on my K98 and so far shoots 100% better than the worn crusty 8mm tube before.

tou can always order a field grade and spin a new barrel and stock on

3 years ago these were offered for $850.

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind basically. My "match" M1 is a field grade special, but in '06.
Looks like Fulton Armory wants about $250 for a 308 barrel. So, $650 for a field grade + $250 for a barrel, plus whatever a smith would charge.

They where a good dral IMHO
Batrel and stock set you back close to $400

Yeah, that's what I had in mind basically. My "match" M1 is a field grade special, but in '06.
Looks like Fulton Armory wants about $250 for a 308 barrel. So, $650 for a field grade + $250 for a barrel, plus whatever a smith would charge.
The shipping charges for insured rifle are pretty stout.
M1 barrel install is not hard and theres no reason a local smith cant do it.
I dont know what is local for you?

The shipping charges for insured rifle are pretty stout.
M1 barrel install is not hard and theres no reason a local smith cant do it.
I dont know what is local for you?
Southern NH. There's a smith in town, not sure if he's familiar with M1s. Actually, I wonder if Steve @ Northeast Arms could do it, since it's an M1 and I could bring it in state.

Southern NH. There's a smith in town, not sure if he's familiar with M1s. Actually, I wonder if Steve @ Northeast Arms could do it, since it's an M1 and I could bring it in state.
What about Harry at Noahs Motors in Saugus. I'm not sure you'd find anyone more qualified than him in this area. No idea if he's taking on new work?

Back
Top Bottom